What would you do in this situation?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don’t think we need to worry that parents these days don’t look after their kids properly or that our society is going down the pan because of a tiny incident that happen at a public driving on a busy day.

I’d be more worried about a person judging somebody’s personality and parenting skills from an episode that lasted maybe an hour? and by what car they drive.

Seems like a lot of “kids these days are nothing but trouble” type attitudes here but I guess this is a virtual clubhouse of sorts and I see that attitude a lot.
No wonder kids don’t want to get involved in golf!

Anyway, I’ve done enough preaching for now, I’ll leave it there as I need to go clean my Audi before I lose my temper and get really cross 😉

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think you were 100% right to tell the child not to go into the bays. However, the staff at the range should be intervening at that stage. There's only 1 driving range where I live and it often attracts families, most of which are fine, but you do get some like this (and some adults that can't behave either!) However, the staff are very good and it clearly states not to go in and out of bays. As for noise, this is why I always practice with my headphones in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have done exactly what Robster 59 wrote. The op seems to have gone 0-60 pretty quickly.

At a previous course, a links one with a popular beach running alongside, we sometimes had issues with kids running around on the course, parents watching on. I would walk up to the parents (never the kid), smile, say hello, explain the danger of what their child was doing and the consequences, and then tell them 'up to you'. I was lucky, never received a mouthful and most parents were grateful. They just weren't aware of the dangers of golf, as most non golfers are not. You can only warn parents, their kids are not your responsibility and once warned my conscience was then clear.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think we need to worry that parents these days don’t look after their kids properly or that our society is going down the pan because of a tiny incident that happen at a public driving on a busy day.

I’d be more worried about a person judging somebody’s personality and parenting skills from an episode that lasted maybe an hour? and by what car they drive.

Seems like a lot of “kids these days are nothing but trouble” type attitudes here but I guess this is a virtual clubhouse of sorts and I see that attitude a lot.
No wonder kids don’t want to get involved in golf!

Anyway, I’ve done enough preaching for now, I’ll leave it there as I need to go clean my Audi before I lose my temper and get really cross 😉

If you ask for the opinion of a bunch of grumpy old men (which is more or less the median demographic of this forum) then the opinion of grumpy old men is what you shall get.

If this question was asked on mumsnet you’d get a response based on the prevailing view of the typical user there too.

The internet is full of opinions, that’s what makes it fun! Some people take it too seriously though and confuse it with life

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having to leave before losing your temper and telling someone that “when they learn to be a parent” .....etc. Then the part about the dumb b*tch not raising her kids properly.
It’s a bit excessive for a near miss at a driving range IMO.

But we all read things differently and form our own opinions.
I think you're just disagreeing because he poo-pooed your choice of car. Admittedly judging people for their choice of car doesn't sit well, but to judge the situation objectively if a kid is running round dangerously close to getting his head caved in, and the mother has made it clear she's not bothered, I'd be more than a bit miffed as well.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think you're just disagreeing because he poo-pooed your choice of car. Admittedly judging people for their choice of car doesn't sit well, but to judge the situation objectively if a kid is running round dangerously close to getting his head caved in, and the mother has made it clear she's not bothered, I'd be more than a bit miffed as well.

Yeah it drives me mad when people don’t like my car!
I hope he’s learnt his lesson and never does it again!