Would you enter

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I get the newsletters from several local clubs to me and one is running a Hole In One initiative/comp along these lines, which I hadn't seen before:
  • Submit Entry (5 players will be drawn)
  • those 5 Pay an entry fee (£?)
  • Get 20 shots each at shortest Par 3 for a hole in one challenge
  • If you succeed you get prizes (worth 000’s including next year’s annual membership paid)
I think it’s a good initiative and will get interest for them and hopefully a fun morning for all involved

Question is not about this club but as an idea/event, if your club did it would you enter and how much would you pay to have a chance of no subs next year + other goodies
(I know how much the fee is but leaving it out just now)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only 20 shots? Basically zero chance of getting a hole in one so no I wouldn't bother. Pros have done this challenge with 100 shots and not managed it so there's no way I'm doing it with 20. :ROFLMAO:

Unless the fee was only like £1. Then I'd give it a go just for a laugh obviously.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Max £50

The odds are so small, that if it starts to cost over that, then it is not good. I could 'afford' to lose £50

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Max £50

The odds are so small, that if it starts to cost over that, then it is not good. I could 'afford' to lose £50
I'd want more than 20 goes for that much!

Maybe they should charge it at 50p a shot. Have as many attempts as you like but each one costs you 50p.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on the length of the hole, whether I think it is a genuine chance. 120yds and under, I'd give it a pop. I'd do it for £5, maybe £10 if i really liked the hole.

Sadly my place doesn't have such a hole, the par 3's are too long, so I would not enter there

A bit of fun though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on the length of the hole, whether I think it is a genuine chance. 120yds and under, I'd give it a pop. I'd do it for £5, maybe £10 if i really liked the hole.

Sadly my place doesn't have such a hole, the par 3's are too long, so I would not enter there

A bit of fun though.
Our stroke index 18 is 110 yards and a big left-to-right slope on the green (so hitting a little fade you could get it rolling towards the pin) so would probably be perfect for it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd want more than 20 goes for that much!

Maybe they should charge it at 50p a shot. Have as many attempts as you like but each one costs you 50p.

Don't folks on here pay more than that to enter their 2's pot for a return of say £20. The prize is worth around 4 grand I'd say

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our stroke index 18 is 110 yards and a big left-to-right slope on the green (so hitting a little fade you could get it rolling towards the pin) so would probably be perfect for it.
Yep, that would get me interested. I know the likelihood of success is low but it would be a buzz. The par 3's at mine are between 161-212yds so I'm minimum a hybrid, others a driver. I'm not taking the challenge on with those clubs.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
How many holes in one have I had? 1
How many times have I played a par three? 7 or 8 thousand?

The odds aren't good so I might splurge a fiver at 50p a ball.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd probably pay around £20 for the opportunity and I think loads at my club would if the 6th or 12th holes were being used.

Our head GK on the other hand... he might no likey.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If it helps, by my rough calculation the entry fee is approx. 1% of the value of the prize pot
(also means the lucky 5 drawn players will not be funding the event in any real way)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are you just going to ignore the relative likelihood of getting a 2 vs getting a 1?? 😆

Not really a gambler but if its all about the relative likelihood surely no one would ever buy a lottery ticket :unsure:

What about the 'it matters more when there's money on it' aspect. Imagine taking your shot knowing its cost a deal more than a mars bar to do so would surely change the players experience of the day too (for better or worse results!)

AAC

Visit site
If I remember correctly I have done a couple of these in the USA, along the lines of 1 shot, $5 entry, hole in one gets you to Vegas. The Pro at our club occasionally does on our 18th (200 yards), buy a sleeve of balls, if you hit the green you get another sleeve free, same terms if you buy a box of 12. It adds a little bit of tension at the end of your round. I wouldn't pay more than £10 for twenty goes, I have had 4 HOI and I reckon my stats work out at about 1 in 3000.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a Xmas raffle which includes a prize of a year's free membership, plus lots of other prizes. That gives me quite good odds compared with the massively high odds of a hole in one with only a handful of goes at it - so I wouldn't be entering 😁