Handicap advise. What would you do?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Playing my first work golf society game this Friday and I’m a bit late to the party but it’s the finals and the company’s biggest event of the year.

The organiser has requested what my handicap is and I have given him my index and also explained what I play off during competitions and general play with the slope ratings.

He’s explained that as it’s only a small society they don’t operate the slope system so my handicap will effectively be my club handicap?

So is my club handicap just my index?

He’s basically just rounded the index number and I’ve checked against the slope ratings for all the tees on the course we are playing and I’m losing 3 shots off 2 tees. It’s got a 700 yard par 6 ffs ?.

Now I wouldn’t have been that bothered but this day hasn’t come cheap and I would be a bit gutted teeing off knowing full well my handicap is not correct because he hasn’t used my index against the slope rating.

Now my question is if you were in my shoes you pull the organiser up on this or would you just go along and enjoy the day?

Any advice appreciated

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're obviously just a bit stuck in their ways and haven't adapted to the new handicap system. But as you're the new boy, I'd just play along rather than turning up and trying to change the way they do things immediately. In a lot of societies the handicaps change independently (i.e. arbitrary shot or two shots cut if you win etc etc) and don't follow the official indexes, so over time it won't really matter.

I know that you are competitive, but remember the goal here is to have fun not simply to win. Forget about how many shots you're getting and just play the course to enjoy it.

I'm in a similar boat actually, got a work golf day coming up, told him my index and he's chopped me to 12 on the players list for some reason. I think he's just chopped everyone for a better scale against the guys who hardly play and don't even have handicaps. But I'll just let him work it out however he wants. On my Hole19 app which I always use I'll put the correct playing handicap in so I'll know what I should have scored anyway.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm not sure what the issue is. There will be a board next to the 1st tee, look up your HI and that will tell you how many shots you get then ask if it is full allowance or 95%.

What's the problem?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presumably, everyone is in the same boat so all is equal. It favours the lower handicappers but as @Orikoru says, it isn't worth rocking the boat over, it is meant to be a fun day.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As above. Work golf is social, it's more important to have a good day and oil the wheels.
You can still write down your numbers and see how you played if it's important to you.
Quite important not to be That Guy at these events imho....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure what the issue is. There will be a board next to the 1st tee, look up your HI and that will tell you how many shots you get then ask if it is full allowance or 95%.

What's the problem?
From what I understood of his post, they just play off indexes instead of course/playing handicap, irrespective of the course's ratings.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
sound advise as always ?

The draft email I wrote to the organiser before I made this thread has been put in the bin.

I didn’t want to undermine them just didn’t realise everyone was in the same boat.

hopefully should be a good day out

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
All been said above

re your 'apprehension' of the 700yrd par 6 ... think of it as a 640m par 6 and all of a sudden it doesn't seem so scary (y)

You are welcome :sneaky:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My mate had similar but opposite when he joined a local society recently. Plays off 9 and offered to play off his HI but the society insisted he put 3 cards in.

Turned up stinkingly hungover or drunk his way through those first 3 rounds and was given a society handicap of 16 ?.

Came second in his first "proper" society day with 40 points ? which will have had some tongues wagging.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Re the 700 yard par 6 again, I assume you're playing West Midlands GC?
The hole is pretty open with little trouble so it's just four shots of 175 yards to reach the green in regulation, or three of 233 yards if you're feeling brave. :)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played in a society day where folk just played off their Handicap Index. It all came out in the wash, sort of.

I guess you could have looked up the course and given the organiser your course handicap!;)

I'm also thinking, it's your first event, don't rock the boat, just have a fun game.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
The hole is pretty open with little trouble so it's just four shots of 175 yards to reach the green in regulation, or three of 233 yards if you're feeling brave. :)

Yes it’s WMGC.

Got a 9 hole Texas scramble in morning followed by an 18 hole stableford.

How did you find playing there?

Is the rough as punishing as kilworth!

Springveldt

Visit site
It’s a society, they probably have their own handicaps and rules.
I know ours has, nearly everyone has a society handicap that doesn’t match their actually index. Also the only ones that get cuts are the top 3 which is 3,2 and 1 shot(s) after each outing. If anyone makes it to scratch and they win then everyone gets +3 shots. The society has been running for over 15 years and nearly everyone has won an event now. It seems to work well.
Just ignore your handicap and enjoy the day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I know you're just illustrating a point but coincidently I started a thread on a very similar topic today...

Is it gonna be a GIR? Who is actually hitting a green from 175yrds away.

Fabia999

Visit site
A similar thing has recently happened to me. You're not the only one losing shots so I feel like all scores will level out but the majority of scores are going to be under par. Enjoy the golf!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a society, they probably have their own handicaps and rules.
I know ours has, nearly everyone has a society handicap that doesn’t match their actually index. Also the only ones that get cuts are the top 3 which is 3,2 and 1 shot(s) after each outing. If anyone makes it to scratch and they win then everyone gets +3 shots. The society has been running for over 15 years and nearly everyone has won an event now. It seems to work well.
Just ignore your handicap and enjoy the day.
Is there another way to go up? Just wondering if you had a good spell, got a 1st and a 2nd, cut 5 shots and then have no chance forever until somebody reaches scratch? :LOL:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had this recently, the problem is you get sociable golfers who play off XX with no home course, but I think we can agree most are never truly accurate. I generally just look at the course and the course handicap from the yellows and submit that to make the organisers job easier.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yes it’s WMGC.

Got a 9 hole Texas scramble in morning followed by an 18 hole stableford.

How did you find playing there?

Is the rough as punishing as kilworth!

We played it in the dry spell and fairways were a bit burnt out, should be better now.

Some holes are pretty tight but overall it's not too bad, more trees and bushes than thick rough.

Springveldt

Visit site
Is there another way to go up? Just wondering if you had a good spell, got a 1st and a 2nd, cut 5 shots and then have no chance forever until somebody reaches scratch? :LOL:
I think if you are outside the top 3 then you go up 1 shot. I'm usually drunk by that point and let the society "committee" deal with it. Only found out about the scratch thing since my brother won just before covid and he was scratch and rather than put him to +3 everyone just got 3 shots extra. We only play 3 rounds per year so there isn't massive movement. The lad that won in May was his first ever win and he's been in the Society since very near the start but I think he was the last one who hadn't won before.

Most lads in it are more social golfers and are there just for a drink and a laugh.