What would you do in this situation?

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Using the range this morning due to the course being too wet to bother I took myself to the furthest extent and set up on my own. Only 50 balls and do some work on impact.

Halfway through 2 mothers and their 3 brats enter the range shouting and running. It’s a Saturday so I ignore them and carry on. Shock horror they set up 2 in front and 1 behind me and continue to act like idiots.

Constant shouting I can just about deal with as it’s good for concentration. What I can’t deal with is the brat behind me nearly getting a driver in the face as he enters my bay to duck round somebody as he goes to run up the range again. It gives you that horrible sick feeling like when you nearly run someone over who steps out without looking.

Naturally I tell the kid in polite but firm terms never to enter someone else’s bay or he’ll get hurt. As I’m already talking to him I add that he’s not to shout across bays as other people are there and to show respect for other people.

Cue mama bear kicking off telling me I’m a bully and I should be more careful when swinging as he’s only 10 years old and I should talk to her not her son. I decide I’ve had enough and leave before I lose my temper and and elaborate on my parting shot of “when you learn to be a parent your child won’t need their behaviour correcting by strangers”.

When did it become society’s job to parent for those who aren’t capable?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Using the range this morning due to the course being too wet to bother I took myself to the furthest extent and set up on my own. Only 50 balls and do some work on impact.

Halfway through 2 mothers and their 3 brats enter the range shouting and running. It’s a Saturday so I ignore them and carry on. Shock horror they set up 2 in front and 1 behind me and continue to act like idiots.

Constant shouting I can just about deal with as it’s good for concentration. What I can’t deal with is the brat behind me nearly getting a driver in the face as he enters my bay to duck round somebody as he goes to run up the range again. It gives you that horrible sick feeling like when you nearly run someone over who steps out without looking.

Naturally I tell the kid in polite but firm terms never to enter someone else’s bay or he’ll get hurt. As I’m already talking to him I add that he’s not to shout across bays as other people are their and to show respect for other people.

Cue mama bear kicking off telling me I’m a bully and I should be more careful when swinging as he’s only 10 years old and I should talk to her not her son. I decide I’ve had enough and leave before I lose my temper and and elaborate on my parting shot of “when you learn to be a parent your child won’t need their behaviour correcting by strangers”.

When did it become society’s job to parent for those who aren’t capable?

Polite enough and educational to the kid

If you had spoken to the mother would have been harder to keep it so polite

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well you were absolutely in the right. Mother was obviously too thick to realise the danger of a golf club around the face.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure how to have dealt with direct confrontation, but on the way out I would have passed the pro shop for sure. Was the range busy?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd of said directly to her personally, just explain that this is a driving range and not a play park get your brats in check before they get a serious injury,

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree re the kids, but if the parent is there. They should be wise enough to know a club around the swede is a bad idea.

Agree however in today's day and age you need to be very careful when talking to kids. The way the mother reacted in this case is the sad way society is going in general.

Parents will not take responsibility or accept their little cherubs are at fault.

Society can be a horrible place now.

Last edited:

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wouldn’t have said anything about the shouting or giving others respect.

Just point out to the mother that it’s dangerous for her son to be in your bay and see how it goes from there.

Kids were probably over excited and parents not educated in golf etiquette.
They’ve probably gone away thinking golf is full of pompous bullies.

Driving range staff should do more really if it’s that bad.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree however in today's day and age you need to be very careful when talking to kids. The way the mother reacted in this case is the sad way society is going in general.

Parents will not take responsibility or accept their little cherubs are at fault.

Society can be a horrible place now.

Hence “listen you little **** I nearly ******* killed you because that dumb bitch who was supposed to have raised you better etc etc etc” was not uttered.

The pro shop was visited and I invited them to view the cctv. I feel sorry for the staff there as unbeknown to the aforementioned mother, I saw her leave 5 minutes later. She jumped into a lease Audi Q3 with a personalised plate - just about typifies the type of person. Don’t ask how I knew it was leased but I do. That type of peon will jump on mumsnet or her Facebook/WhatsApp groups and rant about people who dare criticise her special boy who must be allowed to express himself.

Fortunately I’m moving in the next 3-6 months and I’ll be getting a simulator at home.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hence “listen you little **** I nearly ******* killed you because that dumb bitch who was supposed to have raised you better etc etc etc” was not uttered.

The pro shop was visited and I invited them to view the cctv. I feel sorry for the staff there as unbeknown to the aforementioned mother, I saw her leave 5 minutes later. She jumped into a lease Audi Q3 with a personalised plate - just about typifies the type of person. Don’t ask how I knew it was leased but I do. That type of peon will jump on mumsnet or her Facebook/WhatsApp groups and rant about people who dare criticise her special boy who must be allowed to express himself.

Fortunately I’m moving in the next 3-6 months and I’ll be getting a simulator at home.

Simulator sounds fantastic.

As for judging people due to lease cars/personal plates. That's your choice.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Once upon a time you could have a quiet word with parents, or even ask the child to behave. Nowadays thats a little 'dangerous.'

I'd have just gone to the front desk and advised them that there was a serious safety issue out on the range, and if there was an incident it was on their heads.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be fair it seems like you already had your mind made up about the mother and child to me and it probably didn’t take much for you to get the hump and give the kid some grief.
As for “knowing” that the mother will be on Facebook etc ranting, you’re doing it on an Internet forum!😂

Maybe chill out a bit, you might enjoy your range sessions more and get better at golf. 👍🏻

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wasnt involved , but saw a similar turn of events at my local range. Eventually dad hit his son square in the face with an iron and they left very soon after

Juan Quidonqui

Visit site
I’d have told the little brat that any balls he sees on the range more than 150 yards away are free and he can take them home if he goes and picks them up. Then when I’m practicing my low stingers at him and his mum runs over to protect her precious little soldier, I can have a pop at her too. Obnoxious mother and child never to be seen again and quality practice for me - It’s a win-win !!