F1 2019

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stopped watching years ago, when Coulthard, as a commentator, announced something like “this is going to be really exciting, the overtaking will depend on the pit stop strategy”.....so, no overtaking on the track then.

I thought I heard this morning on the radio that in this race last year there were only 4 overtakes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Half way through and the battle for 12th is the only thing that's gone on

The series is on its rear end as a form of TV entertainment

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like Monaco then, I’ve never understood why that is considered such “an event”.

Just history, really. Same as with golf, where some course or events are held in higher regard than others, but not due to the merit of the course design itself.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently come 2021 it will be different as the dirty air will change and everybody if they are close enough will be able to overtake, if they are good enough

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happened less than half the races last year. You'd do well to actually watch rather than whine about it.

I do watch and YARN YARN YARN. I didn’t watch this race and even the professional commentators are saying YARN YARN YARN. so even a no hoper like me isn’t far wrong

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another season and another boring race. Doesn't bode well and if it's so hard to pass on a street circuit perhaps they should remove from the rota and go to places where there is a chance to get by.

With spectator numbers exceeding the 300,000 mark for Melbourne I cannot see that happening.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Another season and another boring race. Doesn't bode well and if it's so hard to pass on a street circuit perhaps they should remove from the rota and go to places where there is a chance to get by.
The powers that be in F1 seem to want to put more street circuits on the calendar. I can't imagine why as they are not conducive to good racing, certainly not with the current cars.
Without REAL racing, it's not a spectacle. Overtaking shouldn't happen in the pits, but on the circuit.
(oh and anotherdouble, it's Yawn, not Yarn)

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want to real racing then watch MotoGP, Moto 2 and Moto 3. Great racing with incredibly close finishes. Last weekends opening races were a joy to watch.
I gave up watching F1 a long time ago as it's just not a racing spectacle any more.

Thank you very much for correcting my spelling of the word YAWN, that is very kind of you to take the trouble. I am so thankful that people like yourself can find the time to spellcheck those of us who are so stupid as to make such basic mistakes. Rest assured I will try harder next time. Once again thank you..

Oh and the 1st line does not make sense;)(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The powers that be in F1 seem to want to put more street circuits on the calendar. I can't imagine why as they are not conducive to good racing, certainly not with the current cars.
Without REAL racing, it's not a spectacle. Overtaking shouldn't happen in the pits, but on the circuit.
(oh and anotherdouble, it's Yawn, not Yarn)
Surely sooner or later fans will get bored of pit crews, team tactics and yellow flags dictating races. That's not racing, thats virtual F1. I don't think street circuits really bring anything to the party and I'd rather have room for a guy to brake late, cut down the inside and squeeze ahead.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Thank you very much for correcting my spelling of the word YAWN, that is very kind of you to take the trouble. I am so thankful that people like yourself can find the time to spellcheck those of us who are so stupid as to make such basic mistakes. Rest assured I will try harder next time. Once again thank you..

You're very welcome. Let me know if you require any further assistance.
Quite right on my first line. That's what happens when I use a swipe keyboard and don't check it afterwards. Now corrected.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

You're not alone in that regard:eek::LOL:.:rolleyes:(y)

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely sooner or later fans will get bored of pit crews, team tactics and yellow flags dictating races. That's not racing, thats virtual F1. I don't think street circuits really bring anything to the party and I'd rather have room for a guy to brake late, cut down the inside and squeeze ahead.
It’s a bit simplistic to just blame ‘street circuits’, Montreal is widely regarded as the most exciting race (usually because of the changeable conditions) and that’s a street circuit. Some of the most recent purpose built racing tracks have been horrendous for overtaking, just look at Abu Dhabi.

F1 is a massively complex sport, and regardless of how you adapt the back of the cars and reduce the dirty air factor, there is always going to remain an optimal racing line which only one car can occupy. That means you have to manufacture a scenario where a car is at least 1-2 seconds faster than the car in front. People think that by levelling out the cars performance this will increase overtaking, when in actual fact the opposite will likely happen and cars just revert to making sure they manage tires etc to remain in front and will cover each other’s pit stops.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a bit simplistic to just blame ‘street circuits’, Montreal is widely regarded as the most exciting race (usually because of the changeable conditions) and that’s a street circuit. Some of the most recent purpose built racing tracks have been horrendous for overtaking, just look at Abu Dhabi.

F1 is a massively complex sport, and regardless of how you adapt the back of the cars and reduce the dirty air factor, there is always going to remain an optimal racing line which only one car can occupy. That means you have to manufacture a scenario where a car is at least 1-2 seconds faster than the car in front. People think that by levelling out the cars performance this will increase overtaking, when in actual fact the opposite will likely happen and cars just revert to making sure they manage tires etc to remain in front and will cover each other’s pit stops.
Just to add to this, at most tracks currently cars need to be 2 seconds plus faster to overtake.