Dress codes

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Why is it a problem?? 😂 Just dress how you want to and don't worry about anyone else.
I will take my inspiration from this.
Warm weather is here at last.
I will purchase something smart, but cool and suitable for the warm weather.
The top has a collar - this will be acceptable at my club, I believe.
If there is such a thing as "golf joggers" then I see no reason for not having "golf pyjamas".
Looking forward to a cool smart golfing summer. Thank you.

golf pyjamas.jpg

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Certain clubs try to maintain standards such as a lot of other aspects of life, you can relax dress codes in line with modern clothing trends but when you wear them like you’ve been dragged out of a dust bin clubs ARE right to wade in.

What they are effectively saying is

“ no scruffy ****ers allowed! “ but as we live in a snowflake society where everyone gets emotional, they have to reword it in a way that doesn’t hurt people’s feelings.

Most recent examples on the same day:

Player 1:
A formed of golf joggers(or elastic bottomed) trousers, smart club branded adidas golf polo, matching hoody with a form golf cap worn correctly. - looked pretty smart and current.

Player 2:
Similar trousers (druids) which fitted very poorly (possibly a size to big) sagging round his backside, subsequently tee shirt then hanging out, baseball style snap back cap which he wore into the club house - looked like he was there to rob people’s mobiles off the bar.

Now my club makes huge revenue from weddings / functions and there is often venue tours after a round. What’s perceived better, a relaxed club where people still attempt to dress smart inline with current fashions, or a bar full of Kevin and Perry impersonators?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Certain clubs try to maintain standards such as a lot of other aspects of life, you can relax dress codes in line with modern clothing trends but when you wear them like you’ve been dragged out of a dust bin clubs ARE right to wade in.

“ no scruffy ****ers allowed! “ but as we live in a snowflake society where everyone gets emotional, they have to reword it in a way that doesn’t hurt people’s feelings.

Player 1:
A formed of golf joggers(or elastic bottomed) trousers, smart club branded adidas golf polo, matching hoody with a form golf cap worn correctly. - looked pretty smart and current.

Player 2:
Similar trousers (druids) which fitted very poorly (possibly a size to big) sagging round his backside, subsequently tee shirt then hanging out, baseball style snap back cap which he wore into the club house - looked like he was there to rob people’s mobiles off the bar.

Now my club makes huge revenue from weddings / functions and there is often venue tours after a round. What’s perceived better, a relaxed club where people still attempt to dress smart inline with current fashions, or a bar full of Kevin and Perry impersonators?
My club also make money from weddings etc.
What they have found is the Kevin and Perry types and their families, drink more spend more and tip more and enjoy themselves more.
The poshos are smarter dressed, stingy, boring so-and-sos and treat the staff as servants.
I really enjoy stereotyping, its such fun.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My club also make money from weddings etc.
What they have found is the Kevin and Perry types and their families, drink more spend more and tip more and enjoy themselves more.
The poshos are smarter dressed, stingy, boring so-and-sos and treat the staff as servants.
I really enjoy stereotyping, its such fun.

Always two sides aye… 😉

I’m not sure how many inter club match photos I’ve seen player 2 in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

“ no scruffy ****ers allowed!
“ but as we live in a snowflake society where everyone gets emotional, they have to reword it in a way that doesn’t hurt people’s feelings.

Player 1:

Player 2:

I agree with the part in bold but I'd go further, what it's actually derived from is 'no paupers and peasants allowed' and that's why it should have died out by now.

Anyhow, I don't have a huge problem with dress code in general, I have a wardrobe full of nice golf clothes which are comfortable to wear and the same material as a lot of sports clothing, so I've no problem wearing them. I just don't get the shirt-tucking thing and I never will - why would I want to be restricted in that way when I'm playing a sport that requires me to completely turn my body in order to hit the ball? The polos I buy are designed to sit only an inch or two below the waistline anyway, so they certainly don't look 'scruffy' (as if that were relevant anyway) - I don't think they're really designed to be tucked in since they're not long enough to stay in anyway once you've walked a few holes with clubs on your back or had a certain number of swings.

In any walk of life you can get people who don't know what size their clothes should be, but who cares? Let them do them. If I saw someone on the course with baggy trousers on I'd have a laugh and call them MC Hammer in my head, I wouldn't be crying about 'loss of standards' or whatever. Life's too short.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I agree with the part in bold but I'd go further, what it's actually derived from is 'no paupers and peasants allowed' and that's why it should have died out by now.

Anyhow, I don't have a huge problem with dress code in general, I have a wardrobe full of nice golf clothes which are comfortable to wear and the same material as a lot of sports clothing, so I've no problem wearing them. I just don't get the shirt-tucking thing and I never will - why would I want to be restricted in that way when I'm playing a sport that requires me to completely turn my body in order to hit the ball? The polos I buy are designed to sit only an inch or two below the waistline anyway, so they certainly don't look 'scruffy' (as if that were relevant anyway) - I don't think they're really designed to be tucked in since they're not long enough to stay in anyway once you've walked a few holes with clubs on your back or had a certain number of swings.

In any walk of life you can get people who don't know what size their clothes should be, but who cares? Let them do them. If I saw someone on the course with baggy trousers on I'd have a laugh and call them MC Hammer in my head, I wouldn't be crying about 'loss of standards' or whatever. Life's too short.
and yet there are probably millions of golfers who manage to play with a shirt tucked in.

i have no doubt you'll be the sort of person who'll let their child wear whatever they want to school then run to the press moaning that they've been excluded for not following the uniform code

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
and yet there are probably millions of golfers who manage to play with a shirt tucked in.

i have no doubt you'll be the sort of person who'll let their child wear whatever they want to school then run to the press moaning that they've been excluded for not following the uniform code
1. Of course they manage but that's up to them. It's clearly more comfortable not to.
2. Completely unrelated nonsense. 😂

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
1. Of course they manage but that's up to them. It's clearly more comfortable not to.
It's clearly more comfortable for you. Don't assume everyone is the same.
I hate having my shirt out as I think I look scruffy. I'm not interested in anyone else's shirt but I don't want to be stood over the ball and be thinking about my untucked shirt instead of my swing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's clearly more comfortable for you. Don't assume everyone is the same.
I hate having my shirt out as I think I look scruffy. I'm not interested in anyone else's shirt but I don't want to be stood over the ball and be thinking about my untucked shirt instead of my swing.
I was purely talking about physical comfort, whereas you're talking about mental comfort.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK. I'm either comfortable, or I'm not.
Essentially you are choosing to feel physically less comfortable, because it makes you feel mentally more comfortable in your appearance. But let's not get bogged down in the details. :D

I honestly find it difficult to work out whether some people on this thread are just over-egging it for banter or whether they genuinely get this irate at being able to see an inch or two of cloth rather than it being concealed by a waistband and a belt. I just can't process it. They're just clothes.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Essentially you are choosing to feel physically less comfortable, because it makes you feel mentally more comfortable in your appearance. But let's not get bogged down in the details. :D

I honestly find it difficult to work out whether some people on this thread are just over-egging it for banter or whether they genuinely get this irate at being able to see an inch or two of cloth rather than it being concealed by a waistband and a belt. I just can't process it. They're just clothes.
What material are your golf shirts made from that makes them so uncomfortable that you can't possibly move in them when they are tucked in? Modern fabrics (and most older ones) are designed to stretch and move when the wearer does. Are you trying to swing a golf club whilst wearing a suit of armour?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What material are your golf shirts made from that makes them so uncomfortable that you can't possibly move in them when they are tucked in? Modern fabrics (and most older ones) are designed to stretch and move when the wearer does. Are you trying to swing a golf club whilst wearing a suit of armour?
Don't exaggerate. It's a free choice in or out, and I choose out because it's more comfortable, more convenient, less faff etc etc. There are no practical reasons to my mind to tuck it in.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Don't exaggerate. It's a free choice in or out, and I choose out because it's more comfortable, more convenient, less faff etc etc. There are no practical reasons to my mind to tuck it in.

Just looks better to my eye.

Its like kids at school with uniform with their shirt untucked, think it looks cool but it actually looks far dafter than a tidily tucked shirt.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I went to pick the youth up from a round last week - had my work gear on - Snickers type work pants, hoodie, trainers.

Walked down the 18th to meet him then walked back up where I had a chip from the edge of the green. It was about 6pm and there were maybe 65 cars in the car park.

A guy walking past gave me the "don't let the old boys see you playing golf in work clothes....it doesn't bother me but....." line

Well clearly it does bother him or he wouldn't have said owt would he?

Given I had no bag, clubs etc, it was fairly evident I wasn't playing.