Dress Codes - give us your views!

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
•are dress codes still relevant in this day and age

Yes to a certain extent, I believe on the course the dress codes for golf are actually spot on, though some clubs need to relax the knee length hose or white sock with golf shorts ruling. However within the clubhouse dress codes need looking at seriously in some places. You regularly see some guy with thread bare trousers and shoes that even a dog wouldn't chew on in the bar and this is deemed acceptable, whereas a guy in a smart pair of dark denim jeans and well kempt trainers is turned away for being scruffy! I know which I think looks worse.

•what's the policy at your club

On course its regular golfing attire trousers, polo & jumper. Or in summer shorts with white socks. Clubhouse is fairly relaxed as long as you don't come in dressed like 50Cent you can get away with smart jeans and trainers.

•have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club

Not that i'm aware of but currently doesn't really need to be

•have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code

Yes,fell foul at a place where I was told shorts were allowed so I turned up in golfing shorts, short white socks, polo top and golf shoes only to be told I wasn't allowed on the course because my socks weren't knee length hose! Who wears those in this day and age. Had to buy a pair of trousers in the pro shop just to play the course, if it had been a bounce game i'd have just left but at is was a charity day I felt obliged to buy a pair to play

•do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game

No and I don't think it should, especially with all the vibrant colours that a lot of people are now sporting and being produced to bring golf more into the now

•should jeans be allowed in the bar

Yes without a doubt, wearing jeans doesn't mean your not the right type of person to be there as is thought at some places i've visited. It also means more people would think to pop into their clubs on way home from somewhere which could mean more spend in the bar

•if you could write a dress code what would it include

It would be as it is now for on course and I'd ban Knee length hose from being anywhere near the club! I'd allow relaxed smart casual dress in the club including dark denim.

•would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing

I'm fortunate I can at my place, but if I were at a club where more formal attire is required for the clubhouse then i'd spend less time in there so its a rule i'd want brought in

•should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults

Of course they should with the likes of Nike, Puma et al theres plenty of trendy golf gear they can choose from and still be within the confines of the dress codes

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
  • are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
    I think yes. It's very easy to to say anyone should be able to wear anything (jeans, football shirts etc), but I believe that having a dress code helps everyone remember where they are, and helps to improve self discipline, much like a school uniform. The public courses that I play, where there are no dress rules, are generally less likely to see the course looked after, i.e. bunkers raked, pitch marks repaired, divots replaced etc. Of course there are always exceptions in members clubs too. I don't actually mind jeans on the course, but football shirts, and sleeveless shirts should be saved for elsewhere - you wouldn't wear a football shirt to play tennis or cricket. Each sport has it's own rules for "uniforms" why shouldn't golf have one too. The saying "look good play good" is a very valid adage.
  • what's the policy at your club
    Ours is quite relaxed http://www.leightonbuzzardgolf.net/dress-code much similar to many previously stated. Collared shirts or shirts shirts designed for golf means I can wear turtle necks without issue. Trousers or tailored shorts - fine with that. Golf shoes - I can happily wear my Ecco street shoes or my new Adizero "football" golf boots. Do have a daft rule on long socks with shorts, but we can wear trainer socks too so not a problem really.
  • have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
    Yes, smart denim Jeans are allowed in the club house, shirts can also be worn untucked in the clubhouse. I did find it quite amusing when I went to my first presentation evening in January. I put on a jacket and tie to find I was one of about 5 people, virtually everyone else was in jeans and jumpers.
  • have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
    Nope.
  • do you think dress codes put newcomers off the game
    I don't see why it should. All sports have their own uniform requirements, why should golf not.
  • should jeans be allowed in the bar
    Yes, see above.
  • if you could write a dress code what would it include
    As it is - but would remove the long sock requirements for shorts.
  • would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
    Not specifically because of that, but it does make it easier to stop by without having to go home and dress up.
  • should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
    Yes, once they reach 11 or 12. As per my school uniform comments above, I think it helps instil a sense of purpose, which in turn will help further instil the etiquette in the game. My son is twelve and won't wear jeans any ways, he likes to dress up for the golf club. We have no dress code for under 10's, which is very useful for parents of the younger ones - you have to spend enough on clothing growing kids without having to have an extra set of specifics that will last about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
V

vkurup

Looks like the general consensus is
1) On the course - Stick to golf wear. Golf fashion is evolving, so what looked out of place yesterday, is now being offered by mainstream golf manufacturers e.g. Nike trainer shoes. Also if you dare to wear any 'loud mouth' type clothing, please do have a swing to match.

2) In the club: This looks pretty much variable. I guess this depends on what kind of club one plays in. My munci allows anything, but that is because we attract a wide variety of audience incl a lot of families. Imposing a dress code in the club would be silly. However, at more private club, there might be a case for relaxing some dress codes. I dont see why you need a jacket & tie for lunch. I am fine with it being for special occasion, but not everyday. I am happy to change out of my muddy golf trouser & shoes, but pl dont ask me to carry additional wardrobe.

I must admit, I started off by playing in Jeans - when I was on the nursery Par 3 courses. I moved onto 'proper' golf attire when I moved to the main course. I still have a few mates who play an odd game in a pair of Jeans, but this is mostly off peak hours. It does not bother me & there is usually not many people around at those hours.

Has anyone been stopped: I recently played a members course with another visitor. While we were crossing the car park to the first tee, a member stopped my friend and asked him to tuck his shirt in!! Not very politely either.

Now I will shut up and go back to washing my muddy trousers..

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think like most the dress code for the course is as it should be.and relaxed in the clubhouse is fine with me,some jeans cost more than my driver and can be smart with shoes and shirt.
my one gripe is shirt tucked in,why do we insist on this only to see huge overhangs over the belt? far better letting the shirt be loose.
i have only fallen foul of the rules once when playing as a nomad in summer in golf shorts and ankle socks,an older chap said i should be wearing knee length socks,given he was dressed like a tramp in a tatty old polo and even tattier chinos i politely told him he should check his own appearance before commenting on others.

Jackooo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They are golf shoes though aren't they, so where's the issue? And exactly the reason I don't think the dress code is so strict it would put off youngsters.

My only issue with the 'strict' dress code rules are sports style golf shoes - designed and styled to look more like trainers it seems that many clubs have double standards with regards to wearing actual trainers in the clubhouse.

theshrew

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ive not played for about 15 years just going to start aghain now. I think the dress code is fine.

Looking around for some new shoes i was a bit supprised that there are some that look like trainers + some ie Adidas Samba golf shoes as they are a actual trainer. I bet some clubs wouldnt like that.

As for Jeans id say they shouldnt be aloud. I love jeans and they can look smart but everything has its own place i dont think thats on the course or in the club house. I wouldnt wear them even if they were ok to wear. To hot in Summer and In winter they would get soaked so not practial anyway.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is me.

624719-mankini-golfer-darwin.jpg

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Gosh Mike, you were right. This topic really does bring out many views, is always a heated debate and usually ends up at the same point it started with very few people being persuaded to change their views.

I haven't had time to look through all 5 pages of replies so I'm sure I will be repeating other points made but here goes with my personal thoughts on this......

•are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
Yes, like them or not, there are very few activities that do not have rules. That said, attudes that treat people like something just trodden in for making genuine mistakes are perhaps less welcome.

•what's the policy at your club
We allow virtually all forms of dress in our clubhouse. Prizewinners must wear jacket and tie, shorts must not be worn on social functions, presentation evenings etc. All this was changed about 4 years ago and to date nobody has died from this or indeed left the club citing the "scruffy" appearance of other members as a reason.

•have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
See above

•have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
No, I check before going anywere but once was unable to wear shorts as I had no long socks. NB If they had given me a pair I would still have worn pants.

•do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
Absolutely. Although this is just part of the overall image that golf as a sport and particularly the majority of golf clubs project. Things are getting better but still have a long way to go. Ask yourself why 70% of people who play golf regularly don't join a club? Not the only reason but the perceived stuffy rule obsessed club atmosphere is a major one. Many new players turn up at a proper club for the first time and end up being humiliated by some member as they simply didn't know the rules. First impressions last.

•should jeans be allowed in the bar
Absolutely. This is simply a very old fashioned class thing. Every pair of jeans I own are smarter than the majority of our seniors attire worn unashamedly in the bar at our place. Being fairly smart is the key, not laying down silly rules about the type of material trousers can be made from.

•if you could write a dress code what would it include
The word SMART in several places. I agree with golf gear on the course, if you wouldn't wear jeans to play football then don't wear them for golf. Tradition is still an important part and I feel it's important that golfers look like golfers.

•would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
I do. So do many others at our club. Our bar takings are superb and the envy of every other club in the area.

•should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults
Probably, yes. However that's assuming the adult dress code is sensible.

Overall, I think the problem with this debate is that there are such a variety of clubs that there is no "one size fits all" solution. I'd never advocate Royal Lytham allowing jeans and trainers but when you turn up at some mediocre club struggling for members you sometimes ask yourself why all the barriers then?
NB Royal seem to have no problem with jeans/trainers when the pros are in town.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I think dress codes are way down the list compared to more important things such as playing to the actual rules of golf, treating each other with respect and dignity, looking after the course, encouraging young and new players, and playing as fast/slow as you want as long as you play people through

I can live with Dress Rules, I prefer Dress Codes, and I really like Dress Guidelines the best.

What I hate is any form of dress rule, code or guideline where you don't know why you have it, is based on a historical class reason, or is a subjective consideration of what " looks smart"

I would much rather have someone playing in jeans, non-damaging trainers or unpolished shoes (sorry to bring that up again mike) and being pleasant and respectful and enjoying the game, compared to someone dressed in rule-abiding clothes damaging the course, swearing after shots, making rude sexist racist and/or homophobic jokes, which is far more common than inappropriately dressed golfers wherever I play, including GM meets.

But then I know I am in a very small minority on here, so it is highly possible that I am wrong. Or possibly not. But I don't hold my breath.

I can and do wear polo shirts and slacks - it saves having these arguments ; my wife continuously laughs her head off at me however.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Personally I think dress codes are way down the list compared to more important things such as playing to the actual rules of golf, treating each other with respect and dignity, looking after the course, encouraging young and new players, and playing as fast/slow as you want as long as you play people through

I can live with Dress Rules, I prefer Dress Codes, and I really like Dress Guidelines the best.

What I hate is any form of dress rule, code or guideline where you don't know why you have it, is based on a historical class reason, or is a subjective consideration of what " looks smart"

I would much rather have someone playing in jeans, non-damaging trainers or unpolished shoes (sorry to bring that up again mike) and being pleasant and respectful and enjoying the game, compared to someone dressed in rule-abiding clothes damaging the course, swearing after shots, making rude sexist racist and/or homophobic jokes, which is far more common than inappropriately dressed golfers wherever I play, including GM meets.

But then I know I am in a very small minority on here, so it is highly possible that I am wrong. Or possibly not. But I don't hold my breath.

I can and do wear polo shirts and slacks - it saves having these arguments ; my wife continuously laughs her head off at me however.

Very good post there. I like the distinction between rules, codes and guidelines.

I often find it strange that a club that is trying to encourage people to join, words the dress codes 'you can't wear this and you can't wear that'. As whether they are doing this on purpose or not, it is sending out a particular message and portraying a particular image. If some clubs just reworded the code a bit to make them a bit more friendly, as opposed to stating silly thing like knee length socks and seemingly using them as one way of excluding certain types of people, then it would be an improvement. Say what they would prefer the golfers to wear, not state what they can't.

Also I wonder what the purpose of them is, as some clubs give the impression that the are just there to keep certain types off the course. They fall back on the lazy stereotype that anyone who can put a pair of trousers on and a collared shirt is a good egg, where as anyone who does not is a bounder and a cad and has no place playing golf. Which in 2013 with a fall in members at most places, seems a little antiquated in my book.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is me.

624719-mankini-golfer-darwin.jpg

Anybody else regretting eating a big breakfast?

Personally If I was going to join one of two courses that were exactly the same except one had a dress code and one didn't, I'd join the one with the dress code!

Is the dress code outdated? IMHO absolutely not, most golf clothing companies are selling stuff nowadays that you're happy being seen in public wearing and if I had to come into town shortly after playing I probably wouldn't bother changing into non-golfing kit (granted I don't wear Loudmouth trousers!). Although wearing black shoes with shorts should be banned!

But I would allow tidy/designer jeans in the clubhouse - as has been said If I was passing by and felt like popping in for a swift half-a-shandy I'd probably be wearing jeans!

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
like most on here i agree with the dress code on the course, jeans or tracksuits on the course just look wrong.
to play most sports you have to wear specific clothing so why should golf be different?

my club has the usual on course dress code and no jeans, tracksuits, trainers in the clubhouse.
i would be up for allowing smart jeans and trainers in the clubhouse, i think a lot more people myself included
would be more likely to drop in for a pint and watch the match etc.

at a local members club where a few of my mates are members they have a bar where you're not allowed in without
a collar and tie. one of the first times i played there i unknowingly walked in to order a few post round pints. i got about
halfway to the bar and the barman came running in " no sir!, no sir! you can't come in here you have to stand at the door
to order your drinks and take them outside" the bar was of course completely empty and has been every time i've been.
it's a shame because they have a cracking golf course but the clubhouse is one of the most unwelcoming places i've been to.
when i've brought this up with members their attitude is generally well you know what it's like here if you don't like it don't
come. like i said a shame.

thankfully they don't have it at my club but the one dress code i would change is the knee length sock thing. i think telling people
what length their socks should be is going to far. whats the point of wearing shorts if only your kneecaps are getting a bit of
fresh air? are mens calves really that offensive?

and finally i think the kids should be started off on the right foot and subjected to the same dress code as everyone else

Hacker Khan

Visit site
like most on here i agree with the dress code on the course, jeans or tracksuits on the course just look wrong.
to play most sports you have to wear specific clothing so why should golf be different?

Possibly because the dress code for most sports is a tee shirt and shorts, i.e. very simple and easy, and something that everyone is used to and comfortable in wearing.

An an experiment, contrast http://www.edgbastonpriory.com/index.asp with http://www.edgbastongc.co.uk/pages.php/index.html

both clubs in a well to do area of Birmingham. See which site seems the most inviting to someone wanting to join or try the sport out. See how long it takes you to find a list of what you can't wear on each site.

Also ask yourselves, if the dress codes for most golf clubs were changed to 'Whilst we like all our golfers to wear golfing attire on the course, we also want you to feel welcome. So feel free to wear what you feel comfortable in to play golf', how many people do you think would actually turn up wearing ripped jeans and a collarless tee shirt.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Possibly because the dress code for most sports is a tee shirt and shorts, i.e. very simple and easy, and something that everyone is used to and comfortable in wearing.

i'd say a polo shirt and pair of trousers are pretty simple and easy

And they are something that the vast majority of the people who clubs need to attract are comfortable wearing?

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
i started playing golf on the local muni's where you can wear what you want
these are great places to get a taste of golf but you do get your fair share of
"scallys" on there with no idea of etiquette who'll hit at the green while you're
putting, shout,swear etc.
IMO dress codes(along with the price) discourage these types of people from playing at courses
that have them
Don't get me wrong i'm not knocking muni's, they offer affordable golf for a lot
of people and are a great gateway to the game.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

An an experiment, contrast http://www.edgbastonpriory.com/index.asp with http://www.edgbastongc.co.uk/pages.php/index.html

both clubs in a well to do area of Birmingham. See which site seems the most inviting to someone wanting to join or try the sport out. See how long it takes you to find a list of what you can't wear on each site.

Also ask yourselves, if the dress codes for most golf clubs were changed to 'Whilst we like all our golfers to wear golfing attire on the course, we also want you to feel welcome. So feel free to wear what you feel comfortable in to play golf', how many people do you think would actually turn up wearing ripped jeans and a collarless tee shirt.

Roll neck sweater lol! Does anyone actually wear such a thing?