Dress Codes - give us your views!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The dress code for the lounge/bar was relaxed at a local golf club hopng for extra footfall. A year on and the same old faces go but just in jeans rather than trousers, no noticable difference in revenue.

That's not to say it wouldn't work elsewhere is it?

I saw a huge difference in the bar at Hearsall when they relaxed their codes and not just with members, but bringing guests in also first for a drink before going out elsewhere so using it as a meeting point.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going back to the 1970's my club in Surrey had a jacket and tie rule in the clubhouse.
Summer evenings the club bar would be empty but the cosy wee pub 250 yards from the clubhouse would be packed with tie-less golfers, crazy.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
They are when you find yourself near the club coming back from somewhere early and think "Oh, I'll drop in for a quick pint" or even a snack but can't because you've got jeans on. I'm not talking about dirty work jeans, but very tidy designer jeans. So when the club is trying everything to bring in more revenue, does it not have to give up something if it can't bring it in through its core business and look more towards the bar & restaurant, after-all, the chef's are sitting up in the kitchen doing bugger-all most of the day!

Good point. From my understanding of the pub trade, most successful pubs make a most of their profit on the food side of it. Which is why just about every boozer nowadays does food. So it seems strange to me that, as you say, there is this potential profit generating avenue open to many clubs, but some put these archaic restrictions on eating in them just because it is in a golf club.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
So tailored shorts seem to be a given.......anyone care to define them?

I find it really strange that many folk seem to think jeans in clubhouse are OK but not on the course.
Jeans were designed for outdoor work but the workers would then change out of them into something smarter as soon as they got home.
Never a good look on anyone over 30 in any circumstances IMO.

PS anyone brave enough to define 'smart jeans'.

Don't bother trying to define "smart jeans"...
Try and define"jeans" on their own

No-one can come up with a definition of what jeans are any way, so how sensible is that a logic for banning them ?
How many people could tell denim by looking at it ? Denim is a double weave cotton fabric. You can't see it by the eye, you need a magnifying glass and need to know something about textiles. So is it denim that you want to ban or jeans? Not being critical here, just looking for a clarification

Would you be happy with black fine weave denim in a "slacks" cut pattern ?
Or is it all flat front patterns without a middle crease that is to be banned?
Or is It the one unobtrusive rivet on the back that even Next chinos have ?
Or shouldn't be any clothes that are dirty creased and not stylish?

I can accept that a pair of blue denim 501s are both denim and jeans, and most of you don't like those -fine, that's ok.
Personally I can't work out how to make a judgement on all the rest? It's just confusing, hence possibly not the most rational of logic.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Thank you, you are right, no one can and that is why the whole 'dress code' thing is obscure.

Still nobody brave enough to define 'tailored shorts'.

Shorts that came from a tailor? Which is where golfers got their shorts from when these rules were drawn up in the 18th century? In reality chuff knows, I assume all shorts have been 'tailored' or they would fall apart.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I suppose the ones stuck together with glue are not tailored.

Trying hard to visualise the 18th century golfer with his three cornered hat, red jacket, buckled shoes and tailored shorts.
No, hang on, they would be knee length britches which would be banned under modern dress codes.
Keep calm all you traditionalists........they would be wearing knee length white stockings.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right that's settled then.
For my next game at Royal Snobshire I shall wear cargo pants with long white socks [+2's], one of those tee shirts with the tiny wee collars, a pair of yellow pimpled football trainers and a really old battered straw hat. For waterproofs I shall wear black motor cycle leathers and an old angling hat. That should comply with most private clubs dress codes.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
right that's settled then.
For my next game at royal snobshire i shall wear cargo pants with long white socks [+2's], one of those tee shirts with the tiny wee collars, a pair of yellow pimpled football trainers and a really old battered straw hat. For waterproofs i shall wear black motor cycle leathers and an old angling hat. That should comply with most private clubs dress codes.
looking forward to you posting your photos

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Tailored shorts have a waist band, not a draw string.

Oddly, we are allowed to wear jean cut trousers,but not jeans. No confusion there then.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If I chose to I could save several hundred pounds a year by joining a pub golf society, having an unofficial handicap, wearing what I want, rocking up at a course and chopping it up.

I choose not to do this.

It seems to be a symptom of today's society that the majority has to bow down to people who just can't be bothered to make an effort.

The squeaky wheel always gets the oil !!

:sbox:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I chose to I could save several hundred pounds a year by joining a pub golf society, having an unofficial handicap, wearing what I want, rocking up at a course and chopping it up.

I choose not to do this.

It seems to be a symptom of today's society that the majority has to bow down to people who just can't be bothered to make an effort.

The squeaky wheel always gets the oil !!

:sbox:

It is the absurdity of people enforcing their interpretation of the private clubs dress rules that lead to so many negative comments.

Classic example was at the [mainly Army based] Tidworth golf club in Wiltshire.
Wiltshire ladies were playing 'Ampshire on a scorching hot day. Both teams uniform included culottes which were very fashionable at the time. It was difficult to see if they were skirts or long shorts.
At lunch the Secretary told the teams that they would have to change to enter the empty dining room as shorts were not allowed.
The ladies did not have any other attire to change into as culottes were accepted in every other course they played.

credman82

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi this is my first post on here and i have only been playing golf for a short time, I am of the opinion that all clubs have the right to choose what people can wear on its fairways. Golf attire looks great and there is such a wide range of clothing to be found I mean the only real rules on most courses (the ones I have looked at anyway), have a dress code of golf shoes (which is for safety), tailored trousers or shorts and a shirt with a collar ie a polo shirt. This gives way to so many wondrous combinations of colour and style it's not hard to find something that fits. I also get the argument that infrequent players may want to play in clothed that they have and that bringing new people into the golf, encouragement needs to be given to play the game. But if you're starting out go to a driving range learn how to hit the ball before tackling a course it will increase the enjoyment and you can wear what you want. I mean has anyone on hear gone to play football or rugby wearing their golf gear. It's a small courtesy that clubs ask members and visitors to respect it's usually very relaxed dress code I for one am not for change. With the large number of online golf retailers and a very big high street sports retailer selling golf clothes at very reasonable price it's not much to kit yourself out.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My view on this is pretty simple. Dress codes are stupid and should be done away with. They only serve to alienate people. I personally wouldn't even consider joining a club with a strict dress code on a point of principal. Nobody has the right to tell me what clothes i should wear in my free time. Golf is a leisure activity for christs sake.

I should say at this point that i always make the effort....when i go to work, when i play golf, and generally, to look my best. But i do that because i have some pride in my appearance and like to be suitably dressed for whatever i am doing. Not because some stuffy moron thinks i should be wearing white socks.

The only way anyone should be judged is by their behaviour. People always clump together dress code and etiquette, but they are 2 totally different things. As long as someone is courteous on the golf course, doesn't hit golf balls at people, lets faster players through and repairs marks/divots/bunkers i frankly could'nt care less what they are wearing.

If someone wants to play in jeans what harm are they doing? None, apart from making themselves highly uncomfortable. ;)

Last edited:

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
By the way.....whilst asking the people who frequent this website this question is fine....i'd hazard a guess that 90% of them are members of golf clubs and a large percentage of them are men over 35 (i am guessing, correct me if I'm wrong)

The people that should be asked are new golfers, non club members, young people who are considering taking up the game etc....i'd wager a bet that the outcome would be very different.