Dress Codes - give us your views!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was the dress code at my club:
ON THE COURSE

No Jeans - tracksuits - trainers or collarless shirts on the course - Hats must be worn the right way round and shirts should be tucked in - Tailored shorts may be worn on the course.
IN THE CLUBHOUSE

Smart casual clothes must be worn, no jeans or collarless shirts. Golf shoes are forbidden in the clubhouse. The dress code for dining visiting societies is usually jacket and tie, but the society organiser can relax the dress code if he/she wishes to do so.

Revised this year to allow smart jeans during the week, and after 5pm on weekends. Also to clarify that smart, clean, trainers are acceptable in the clubhouse at any time.
Trainer liner socks are allowed, I've personally seen the club chairman and many others sporting a pair.

The only problem I have with it is that banning jeans on a weekend before 5pm means that it is a pain for my wife to come and join me for lunch after a round as she pretty much lives in jeans at the weekend. That said I have seen established members in the clubhouse in jeans and no-one complained - I just don't think it is that kind of club.

I'm amazed that some busybodies complain at people when their shirts come partially untucked while playing, do they have nothing better to do? And why can't they do it politely? If someone tried that on me they may end up wearing my 3 iron, after all I've no use for it anyway. Of course that is unlikely as I am always impeccably dressed on the golf course. :thup:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So tailored shorts seem to be a given.......anyone care to define them?

I find it really strange that many folk seem to think jeans in clubhouse are OK but not on the course.
Jeans were designed for outdoor work but the workers would then change out of them into something smarter as soon as they got home.
Never a good look on anyone over 30 in any circumstances IMO.

PS anyone brave enough to define 'smart jeans'.

Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe whats on post 172

cheers for that, I feel a bit grubby.

my point is, if you want to wear jeans play at a muni, If you play at a members club abide by the rules. I really don't believe that people don't play golf/join a club because they can't wear jeans.

changing the dress code really won't bring hordes of new members.

I also find it a bit weird that someone can't be bothered to put on a pair of trousers and a shirt with a collar, it's not much of a hardship.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny that you never see a 'dress code' for waterproofs, or hats when it comes to it.

Nobody brave enough to define tailored shorts or smart jeans yet........come on, they have been mentioned on many posts.

Last edited:

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
cheers for that, I feel a bit grubby.

my point is, if you want to wear jeans play at a muni, If you play at a members club abide by the rules. I really don't believe that people don't play golf/join a club because they can't wear jeans.

changing the dress code really won't bring hordes of new members.

I also find it a bit weird that someone can't be bothered to put on a pair of trousers and a shirt with a collar, it's not much of a hardship.

I agree but why should it even matter if someone wants to play in jeans?

I think it is more of the way things are "enforced" or they way the "offenders" are spoken to over really trivial matters, such as tiny rivets on Ping ladies golf trousers.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
So tailored shorts seem to be a given.......anyone care to define them?

I find it really strange that many folk seem to think jeans in clubhouse are OK but not on the course.
Jeans were designed for outdoor work but the workers would then change out of them into something smarter as soon as they got home.
Never a good look on anyone over 30 in any circumstances IMO.

PS anyone brave enough to define 'smart jeans'.

I would define smart jeans as being decently cut, neither too baggy nor skin tight. Not too washed out. An appropriate length i.e. not dragging on the floor, worn at the waist rather than the waist band being half way down the buttocks. Clean and properly ironed (but not, and this is important, not with creases ironed down the front), and most importantly, like a decent golf iron not too 'badgy'. Additionally they should be a decent make, none of your £7.99 Lidl specials which I wouldn't put on a guy fawkes. Finally, jeans and a blazer/ sports jacket combinations look naff.

Jeans can be worn by the over 30's as long as the above guidelines are followed.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
As long as they are respecting the course and other players, I don't care what they wear - I'm too busy worrying about my own game for it to bother me!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but why should it even matter if someone wants to play in jeans?

I think it is more of the way things are "enforced" or they way the "offenders" are spoken to over really trivial matters, such as tiny rivets on Ping ladies golf trousers.

It shouldn't matter really. If the club wants to allow pink tutu's it's up to them. If there is a dress code then it needs to be respected, not just pointlessly railed against. Agree with enforcement point, a quiet gentle reminder is fine. Anyone who runs across 2 fairways to make a point is a knob.

Maybe that's a bigger issue. Are knobs in golf a barrier to membership?:D

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
* are dress codes still relevant in this day and age

Yes, ish...

* what's the policy at your club

No jeans, football or motorsport tee shirts or trainers on the course

* have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club

Jeans seem to be allowed

* have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code

About 30 years ago my Dad had to wear a loan tie to get into the clubhouse at Kingsknowe.

* do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game

Nope, everyone must own a pair of chinos and a polo shirt..?

* should jeans be allowed in the bar

Yes - it's just a pub, not some mythical land where the wearing of denim denotes you as a murderer of puppies.

* if you could write a dress code what would it include

Same as any pub, no football colours.

* would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing

We are, and I do.

* should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults

Yes

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I will say for the final time that restrictive dress codes are part of the an sometimes unfriendly and stuffy image problem that golf clubs are mostly perceived as having. As is the way they dress codes are conceived, communicated and enforced.

Letting people wear jeans on the course will change very little at all, in fact it will look ridiculous if you just tag that onto the end of most current dress codes. It is not just about wearing jeans, that is a minor issue and if that is the only token nod to modernity that a club makes it will make chuff all difference. As very few people will play non-municipal courses in them anyway.

But as I pointed out a few posts ago, look at the two web sites for Edgbaston golf club and Edgbaston tennis club and ask yourself which one seems the most customer friendly, which one is trying to attract new people to try the sport and which one is subliminally excluding people. Yes dress codes is just one part of it, but in my opinion it is an issue when it comes to peoples perception.

Golf already is a very expensive and time consuming sport, does it really need to have rigorously enforced dress codes on top of that in an age where it is trying to attract new people to the sport? I fully admit that wearing a polo shirt and trousers is not that difficult, I do all the time when I play. If dress codes changed tomorrow I would not wear jeans. But then again I am already in love with the game (mostly) and am not the target audience needed for the game to grow. In 2013 when clubs insist on long socks or socks that have to be white, what does that say about the sport and what message is it sending out? Hey, come along and have a try, you're all welcome. Or you can come along only if you are dressed in some cases as an antiquated image of what is considered 'smart'.

I see a lot of mentions of having dress codes to ensure standards. Which is fine. But are the also acting as a tool of exclusion (and let's not forget that golf does not have a great image when it comes to excluding people.) Are clubs consciously or subconsciously taking the view that they do not need to be that friendly and inviting, through issues like relaxed dress codes, as people new to golf should start at municipals?

Last edited:

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will say for the final time that restrictive dress codes are part of the an sometimes unfriendly and stuffy image problem that golf clubs are mostly perceived as having. As is the way they dress codes are conceived, communicated and enforced.

Letting people wear jeans on the course will change very little at all, in fact it will look ridiculous if you just tag that onto the end of most current dress codes. It is not just about wearing jeans, that is a minor issue and if that is the only token nod to modernity that a club makes it will make chuff all difference. As very few people will play non-municipal courses in them anyway.

But as I pointed out a few posts ago, look at the two web sites for Edgbaston golf club and Edgbaston tennis club and ask yourself which one seems the most customer friendly, which one is trying to attract new people to try the sport and which one is subliminally excluding people. Yes dress codes is just one part of it, but in my opinion it is an issue when it comes to peoples perception.

Golf already is a very expensive and time consuming sport, does it really need to have rigorously enforced dress codes on top of that in an age where it is trying to attract new people to the sport? I fully admit that wearing a polo shirt and trousers is not that difficult, I do all the time when I play. If dress codes changed tomorrow I would not wear jeans. But then again I am already in love with the game (mostly) and am not the target audience needed for the game to grow. In 2013 when clubs insist on long socks or socks that have to be white, what does that say about the sport and what message is it sending out? Hey, come along and have a try, you're all welcome. Or you can come along only if you are dressed in some cases as an antiquated image of what is considered 'smart'.

I see a lot of mentions of having dress codes to ensure standards. Which is fine. But are the also acting as a tool of exclusion (and let's not forget that golf does not have a great image when it comes to excluding people.) Are clubs consciously or subconsciously taking the view that they do not need to be that friendly and inviting, through issues like relaxed dress codes, as people new to golf should start at municipals?

:thup:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are quite a few snobby comments on here about 'Municipals'

I managed a very busy municipal course in the South of England for 15 years and the number of golfers who wore jeans or inappropriate clothing was extremely low. The only 'dress code' rule we had was that golfers should wear clothing suitable for the sport. So in effect we had the same results as private clubs without all the ballyhoo associated with what is the right or wrong clothing to wear. The 'municipal' was very successful and for over 30 years has produced many County and International golfers.

DCB

Visit site
I work for a Leisure Trust and part of our operation is running six courses in the City. With many people not prepared to pay large annual fees at private clubs, we have seen increased numbers coming back to play our courses. Our philosophy is " You don’t have to be a member, and there’s no need to have an official handicap or follow a dress code. This is golf for everyone, not just a chosen few! "

Many great names started their golfing life at municipal courses, Tommy Armour and James Braid both started their days at our Braids Golf Course. They went on to win multiple Majors.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Golf already is a very expensive and time consuming sport, does it really need to have rigorously enforced dress codes on top of that in an age where it is trying to attract new people to the sport? I fully admit that wearing a polo shirt and trousers is not that difficult, I do all the time when I play.

I see a lot of mentions of having dress codes to ensure standards. Which is fine. But are the also acting as a tool of exclusion (and let's not forget that golf does not have a great image when it comes to excluding people.)

But are dress codes restrictive? You say they are but I don't think they are. A polo shirt and trousers can cheap as chips, or as expensive as you want them to be.

How the dress code is communicated and enforced is what gives golf a poor image. There are too many people who just love to exercise power by confronting people in the most unwelcoming, almost aggressive, way.

Does the dress code put people off golf? I'm sure that between an Asda polo shirt and trousers to a Ralph Lauren polo and trousers, in more colours than you'll find in a rainbow on speed, there is something that will appeal to everyone. Golfwear isn't beige, brown and grey anymore - far from it, golf wear is probably far more inclusive than in just about any other sport. If anything you can get away with more variations, not less.

Personally, I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. It is the unwelcoming nature of some members whose social skills in conveying a message about dress and behaviour leave a lot to be desired. Leave the conveying of those sort of messages to those who use customer facing skills every day, i.e. the pro and bar/catering staff.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
But are dress codes restrictive? You say they are but I don't think they are.

They are when you find yourself near the club coming back from somewhere early and think "Oh, I'll drop in for a quick pint" or even a snack but can't because you've got jeans on. I'm not talking about dirty work jeans, but very tidy designer jeans. So when the club is trying everything to bring in more revenue, does it not have to give up something if it can't bring it in through its core business and look more towards the bar & restaurant, after-all, the chef's are sitting up in the kitchen doing bugger-all most of the day!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
The dress code for the lounge/bar was relaxed at a local golf club hopng for extra footfall. A year on and the same old faces go but just in jeans rather than trousers, no noticable difference in revenue.