Dress Codes - give us your views!

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the course for members it's a shirt with a collar and no jeans but we are a pay and play course so this doesn't affect paying visitors. In the club house it's very relaxed, I have even popped in for a quick bucket of balls in work gear with no problem at all. It's a layed back proprietors club and we have a great atmosphere with a welcoming attitude to anyone visiting our club.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Smart jeans don't exist.

I agree, I wear branded jeans such as Armani and Henry Lloyd but their still blue jeans, obviously a bit better quality and more tailored but still blue jeans, I have no problem in not wearing them at my club.

I have some Ashworth trousers which are very much similar to a jean material, I suppose they don't come up on the radar as their beige ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I wonder who would get upset with someone changing their shoes in the car park? Dearie me.

Sometimes a well meaning rule becomes a rule for the sake of it. And a don't changes your shoes in the carpark is a prime example. Golf shoes with metal spikes break the surface of a bitumen car park, hence the rule at some golf clubs...

Jeans were originally viewed a workwear and were worn in dirty working environments. Similar to the don't change your shoes in the car park, the rule had some sense behind it.

Modern day committee's need to realise why those rules were originally brought in and consider the (non)sense behind keeping them.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes a well meaning rule becomes a rule for the sake of it. And a don't changes your shoes in the carpark is a prime example. Golf shoes with metal spikes break the surface of a bitumen car park, hence the rule at some golf clubs...

Jeans were originally viewed a workwear and were worn in dirty working environments. Similar to the don't change your shoes in the car park, the rule had some sense behind it.

Modern day committee's need to realise why those rules were originally brought in and consider the (non)sense behind keeping them.

Well said. Funny how chinos aren't viewed in the same light? Perhaps because the were military wear?

Fozzie

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I like the idea of a Dress code. I think standards should be kept, but in this day & they should be relaxed to a certain extent. For me suitable attire on course would be a Collared Shirt, Trousers/Chinos & Golf shoes. Loud colourful trousers aren't really my thing, but I don't have a problem with them (think you've got to be a decent player to carry it off. It's ok wanting to be Poulter as long as your game isn't Plonker !) I often wear coloured jeans (not denim) when I'm playing. No ones ever pulled me up about it & they're comfortable when walking round the course.
One particular rule that does wind me up is the Knee Length Socks. Tailored shorts are fine, but what is the point of wearing shorts if you have to keep the rest of your legs covered upto the knee. Thankfully my club shows a bit more common sense.
They also do in the clubhouse, smart casual wear i.e Jeans are allowed & I would think barring a few stuffy upmarket courses the Jacket & Tie ruling is pretty much obsolete now.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few years ago myself and a female colleague hosted a client golf day at Luffness New. Nice course although I prefer the other Gullane area courses.

Anyway, they had a strict dress code with knee length socks with shorts and jacket & tie for lunch afterwards. We knew that beforehand so not a problem.

What did get me though was my female colleague wasn't allowed in the bar and had to enter the dining room via the kitchen!

Shame as it left a dent in a great day out

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few years ago myself and a female colleague hosted a client golf day at Luffness New. Nice course although I prefer the other Gullane area courses.

Anyway, they had a strict dress code with knee length socks with shorts and jacket & tie for lunch afterwards. We knew that beforehand so not a problem.

What did get me though was my female colleague wasn't allowed in the bar and had to enter the dining room via the kitchen!

In a sport where we unfortunately hear of utterly ludicrous cobblers on a regular basis, that one really takes the biscuit.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

At least she got in there. My wife has caddied for me for years when I've been playing Opens. At one club she was refused entry into the dining room because it was men only... we ate in the greasy spoon up the road.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At least she got in there. My wife has caddied for me for years when I've been playing Opens. At one club she was refused entry into the dining room because it was men only... we ate in the greasy spoon up the road.

It's things like this that put people of golf, not the dress code

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I arrived at the prospective club and read with interest the sign instructing me Not to change my shoes in the car park. I then got my briefing, all about what I could wear where, when I could wear a hat and where I might use my electronic communication device...oh and the first tee is over there.

such a warm fuzzy feeling.

frankly, none of the rules bother me a jot, it is a lovely course and I joined. However, when I hear the ruling clique (and I have never seen a members course without one) complaining that they can't understand why people won't join, I do point out that most places looking for my money put up welcome signs...not edicts on shoe changing...

Good one you. I am amazed at the lack of customer focus at a lot of golf clubs I visit. A few are very good, but at a few others, as a visitor, I get the impression that I am being tolerated (and actually at one or two not even that, as I am sometimes made to feel like a nuisance) as they want my money. Is it their loss that I don't go back and spend my money there, or is it their gain that they have managed to keep visitors off?

If people like you were in charge and on committees I think the game would have a bright future.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember visiting a West country club [Yeovil I think] and there was a blooming great notice in the car park about dress code. No kidding it took about 5 minutes to read.
On of the rules stated that the bar staff had been instructed to refuse service to anyone wearing denim.
It was not a great course and thought to myself what a miserable bunch.
Walked into the club lounge to see a guy supping a beer wearing a pair of denim jeans.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all
we are about to compile a big feature on dress codes for a forthcoming issue. Essentially it'll be a big 'GM asks...' feature with the question being something like "are dress codes holding back the game'

I know it's a topic everyone has an opnion on and we would really like to hear your views. The sort of thing we'd be keen to hear about and see discusssed on this thread are...

• are dress codes still relevant in this day and age
  • what's the policy at your club
  • have there been any recent changes to relax dress code at your club
  • have you or any of your fiends/playing partners ever fallen foul of a dress code
  • do you think dress codes put newcommers off the game
  • should jeans be allowed in the bar
  • if you could write a dress code what would it include
  • would you go down to your club more often for a drink/meal if you could wear more causal clothing
  • should juniors be subject to the same dress codes as adults

We may add some poll questions as the thread develops
Let the debate begin!

I believe dress codes are not relavent in the majority,a lot of clubs have relaxed there dress codes,so
to attract a new wave of golfers.
However im all for traditions and would adhere to the clubs rules if required.
The policy seems to be at my club anything goes,which i dont like.
I personally have never fallen foul of dress code.
Imo jeans should be allowed in the bar.
I also think golfers would stay away from a club if they felt they did not have the right clothing,
they also stay out of the clubhouse after a game for the same reason.
Or not having proper footware.
My rules would be smart casual,clean shoes,trainers included.
But my biggest gripe is dirty shoes.
In the case of juniors,that is all down to how they are taught,generally juniors respect rules.
And its all down to us parents that our children have standards.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been pulled for not wearing a colloard shirt when i went to the bar where i'm a member, i was just popping in for lunch after seeing the pro, i apologised as i new the rules but forgot and just sat in the sun. I fully belive in attire on the course, but not so much the 19th, but the rules are their, i pay the fees so i accept them.

If you want a club were the rules are relaxed then go join that club. i would in all honsty play a club that did have rules for the course, but the club i choose to be a member at is i like the course and the people, rules of clothing are just a by product of that club to which we accept. Everyone has in (i would imagine) a wardrope with a pair of trousers, colloard shirt and shoes, so why is is so hard to accept that this is the attire for the course or the 19th??

'without rules there can only be anarchy'

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I think many clubs these days are out of date with the times if some of these rules are to go by.

I dont understand why i wouldnt be able to wear comat type shorts (single colour, not fatigue style). They are just shorts with pockets on the side!! same as trousers, i'd much rather wear a pair of combat trousers with extra pockets than have to buy a pair of trousers just to play golf in.

I dont often shower at the club, i normally go home after a bite to eat and a couple of drinks, but if I were to do so, I'd wear what i normally would at the weekend, depending on the time of year. So jeans, rugby top or a shirt and more likely trainers, or shorts, short sleeve shirt and leather flip flops. I definitely wouldnt bother if i had to wear trousers, shoes, tie etc. Or i'd change into my gear and just not go into the bar.

We played a mixed match last year against Mitcham and the after match meal dress code was casual. It was so much more relaxed than the usual tie and jacket, and we had a much better time because of it. Perhaps more clubs could adopt this? Maybe not for all matches, but this worked a treat and everyone mingled really well.

Our Club president is 100, today as it happens, and we have a 100th year celebratory day in a couple of weeks with a new trophy to play for and an evening event at Royal Wimbledon club. This is jacket and tie etc and that's fine, it's a specific event which isnt even in our club house, but every now and again thats fine. Just not all the time.