Dress Codes - give us your views!

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I echo the thoughts that dress code should be, polo shirt, trousers and golf shoes, no denim and no collarless shirts. However I do feel that older members, may need to realise that equipment/apparel has changed ie some golf shoes may now look more like trainers on the course. Personal gripe as an older member at our course pulled me up for wearing which he though we're trainers when they were adidas samba golf shoes. After explaining I purchased them at our club shop and they were in fact golf shoes, he turned round and said he didn't like them as they were to much like trainers and would speak to our pro. No apology or nothing.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my opinion, setting standards at golf clubs is a great way to seperate the wheat from the chaff... so to. Speak.

By imposing standards of dress that require a minimal amount of fore thought and probably a little extra spend, I like to think anyone who goes to the trouble of meeting the standards before a round are more likely to respect the course, members rules and etiquette. Anyone who doesn't want to make the effort always has the option to play at a municipal course

You may like to think that, but to believe that poor etiquette and a lack of respect for the course are the sole preserve of the less well dressed is utterly ridiculous.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I echo the thoughts that dress code should be, polo shirt, trousers and golf shoes, no denim and no collarless shirts. However I do feel that older members, may need to realise that equipment/apparel has changed ie some golf shoes may now look more like trainers on the course. Personal gripe as an older member at our course pulled me up for wearing which he though we're trainers when they were adidas samba golf shoes. After explaining I purchased them at our club shop and they were in fact golf shoes, he turned round and said he didn't like them as they were to much like trainers and would speak to our pro. No apology or nothing.

If it were me I would have replied with two words, the second one being "off"

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
You may like to think that, but to believe that poor etiquette and a lack of respect for the course are the sole preserve of the less well dressed is utterly ridiculous.

Stevie_r

This isnt what I said, nor what I believe. I simply suggested that It would be more likely likely that someone who has taken the oportunity to follow the rules before they even swing a club, are more likely to be respectful on the course.

I do accept (and never actually suggested otherwise) that this wont always be the case.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stevie_r

This isnt what I said, nor what I believe. I simply suggested that It would be more likely likely that someone who has taken the oportunity to follow the rules before they even swing a club, are more likely to be respectful on the course.

I do accept (and never actually suggested otherwise) that this wont always be the case.

Times change though Tony and today's "standards" would have been frowned upon in the past.

As for the term "standards", who's standards and what makes them correct?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stevie_r

In my opinion, setting standards at golf clubs is a great way to seperate the wheat from the chaff... so to. Speak.

By imposing standards of dress that require a minimal amount of fore thought and probably a little extra spend, I like to think anyone who goes to the trouble of meeting the standards before a round are more likely to respect the course, members rules and etiquette. Anyone who doesn't want to make thebeffort always has the option to play at a municipal course

I'm confused, you stated it's more likely, which would mean that you actually do believe it to be more likely. It's still cobblers.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm confused, you stated it's more likely, that would mean that you actually do believe it to be more likely. It's still cobblers.

To me, your reply; implied that I was pointing the finger soley at the less well dressed as being the only guilty party. Stating that is my belief, is incorrect.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Times change though Tony and today's "standards" would have been frowned upon in the past.

As for the term "standards", who's standards and what makes them correct?

I hear you. And im not saying all golf clubs should enforce strict, out dated fashion. I just think a clear set of rules is the best way to keep a lid on what we all know can be a very touchy subject.

Whose standards? Well each individual golf club sets them and they are correct at that club regardless of opinion because they are their standards to set.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hear you. And im not saying all golf clubs should enforce strict, out dated fashion. I just think a clear set of rules is the best way to keep a lid on what we all know can be a very touchy subject.

Whose standards? Well each individual golf club sets them and they are correct at that club regardless of opinion because they are their standards to set.

I think we all agree that you should know the rules/standards before you join a club and if you join then you agree to adopt.

I do have a couple of gripes though, one being they way these are enforced and secondly, no one can give me a straight answer on "traditional" wear or how they define "standards" apart from the stock answer you have also given.

As I have said on numerous occasions in various posts, I wouldn't wear jeans for golf or any sport, however if someone else wants to wear them I do not have a problem. I wouldn't wear chinos either but who am I to tell someone else what they should be wearing.

Again no one can give me a straight answer on not wearing jeans.....