Dress Codes - give us your views!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really really really don't see what the issue with it is. ...

Why anyone would think this has anything to do with class I don't know, it's just a dress code like any other sport has.

How about the simple - that it looks crap

As the standard 2 arguments "for" go :
1. Your polo shirt and chinos make you look smart, and
2. You can buy these smart clothes at SportsDirect for a tenner

Maybe there's only one or two of us that see an apparent inconsistency there.
Look Loadsamoney was wearing polo shirts in the 1980s - I for one apologise for thinking he didn't look "smart", but I am sure you would have welcomed him into your golf clubs with his polo shirt and his money
Me, I'd stay a mile away from him, not because of his dress sense, but because of his lack of respect for other people

Dress does not mean behaviour, and it is behaviour that matters. As soon as you define dress codes with "smart" because your dress style defines your behaviour ( as a number of posts on here say) then it becomes a measure for deciding whether any newcomer will enter your clique or not. Ad that's why it becomes a perceived class thing.

Hopefully that helps you see where we are coming from, even if we are wrong.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do we polish our shoes ?
Presumably because it prolongs their life ? Sounds eminently sensible

If one has enough money to afford a number of pairs of shoes, or if one retires one's pair of shoes before they have expired, then presumably polishing them becomes irrelevant; other than unless one happens to individually and subjectively appreciate the look of polished shoes. Which is perfectly understandable.

So what does it tell you about a person / golfer if they have unpolished shoes ? ...

Fish

Banned
Visit site

If one has enough money to afford a number of pairs of shoes, or if one retires one's pair of shoes before they have expired, then presumably polishing them becomes irrelevant; other than unless one happens to individually and subjectively appreciate the look of polished shoes. Which is perfectly understandable.

So what does it tell you about a person / golfer if they have unpolished shoes ? ...

I was always brought up to have good clean shoes. It was drilled into me that you can judge someone more by their shoes than anything else they are wearing as shoes will be worn multiple times whilst wearing new shirts, trousers and the like so if a person has taken the time to clean their shoes, then they care how they look.

After many years in the services, I can be seen constantly cleaning my golf shoes in the locker room before and after games and the toes are also a bit bulled also ;)

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's nothing to do with cost, class, job or anything like that, it's just a dress code that is ridiculously easy and inexpensive to adhere to. I really really really don't see what the issue with it is. I don't think jeans should be worn on the golf course because they are probably the most inappropriate clothing for what is an athletic movement that I can think of. If I thought it was because people who wear jeans are in some way inferior to me then I'd think I was inferior to me which would probably mean I had some kind of mental issue.

Why anyone would think this has anything to do with class I don't know, it's just a dress code like any other sport has.

Because dress codes don't exist in order to make players more comfortable, they are a by product of a time when the clothes you wore were a heavy factor in distinguishing your social class and therefore, whether you were allowed on a golf course or not.

I agree that playing golf in jeans is silly and highly uncomfortable. I don't understand why anyone would do it, but it in no way affects me or the way they behave and so therefore i don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to wear them if they choose to do so.

What is allowed and what is appropriate are 2 entirely different things.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

The wifes not doing her job.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't bull them in the traditional manner, I just use some liquid polish on the toes more than the rest so they shine off a bit more.

Nothing sad about feeling good about your appearance.

You are right, my black shoes get shined with liquid polish too, my white shoes are spotless. However I'm sure you can understand my initial comment, bulling golf shoes, or any civilian footwear, would be beyond sad.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have moved from a club with very relaxed dress codes to one with very strict ones, not a problem with that happy to go with both.

Went to our first social gathering there this evening and full jacket and tie, first time in nearly six years I've worn one and enjoyed it, great evening .

As for jeans played in loads of times in NZ when too cold for shorts and not a problem , had some good rounds with them on so not restrictive at all IMO.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was drilled into me that you can judge someone more by their shoes )

Ok so here is our fundamental difference, and I agree it is a difference of opinion.

I happen to think that you cannot judge someone by (e.g.) their shoes (or anything else they wear); one can only make a presumption
And in my own experience presumptions aren't always correct, and therefore I try to steer away from judging people by virtue of my own mis-perceptions, which they often are.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ok so here is our fundamental difference, and I agree it is a difference of opinion.

I happen to think that you cannot judge someone by (e.g.) their shoes (or anything else they wear); one can only make a presumption
And in my own experience presumptions aren't always correct, and therefore I try to steer away from judging people by virtue of my own mis-perceptions, which they often are.

The reasoning behind it is, that anyone can put on a clean ironed shirt or trousers, but do they take the time to clean their shoes at the same time?

As such, shoes can be, in my opinion, a key observation on how someone thinks or cares about how they look not only for them self, but to others.

In my opinion ;)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see the point in cleaning my golf shoes, just before going out on to a muddy course. I've got better things to do with my time.
Does this make me a bad person?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I don't see the point in cleaning my golf shoes, just before going out on to a muddy course. I've got better things to do with my time.

No it doesn't, but for me, if I have a new shirt or trousers on or even shoes, I can feel smarter and thus more confident and hopefully that will transfer to the course, the same goes for when I put all clean well pressed or clean items on, especially polished shoes.

Do you feel better when you've had your hair done or wear a new dress? its the same philosophy IMO.

If I was to put muddy shoes on from the day before, I wouldn't feel very good about myself, but that's just me, I think appearances and how you look and feel can go a long way towards your game on any given day.

Just my opinion ;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

My old Pro used to coach the County under 18's team.
Each year on his first session he did a kit inspection and anyone who did not have clean clubs or shoes was sent back to the clubhouse to clean them. Word soon got about and no one ever turned up untidy.

Re shoes...that sticks with me as well. Probably to do with fathers who fought in WW2.
My old uncle used to say, check their shoes, they will not be buying a £40 set of clubs wearing a dirty £2 pair of Timpsons shoes @1960.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fish, very nicely put; personally instill disagree, but your point is very valid for many people. If it makes you feel good about one's self, then great :) especially if it helps your game

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's nothing to do with cost, class, job or anything like that, it's just a dress code that is ridiculously easy and inexpensive to adhere to. I really really really don't see what the issue with it is. I don't think jeans should be worn on the golf course because they are probably the most inappropriate clothing for what is an athletic movement that I can think of. If I thought it was because people who wear jeans are in some way inferior to me then I'd think I was inferior to me which would probably mean I had some kind of mental issue.

Here here !

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dress does not mean behaviour, and it is behaviour that matters.

Because dress codes don't exist in order to make players more comfortable, they are a by product of a time when the clothes you wore were a heavy factor in distinguishing your social class and therefore, whether you were allowed on a golf course or not.

I agree that playing golf in jeans is silly and highly uncomfortable. I don't understand why anyone would do it, but it in no way affects me or the way they behave and so therefore i don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to wear them if they choose to do so.

Can you explain to me where I said how you dress is related to your behaviour?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fish, very nicely put; personally instill disagree, but your point is very valid for many people. If it makes you feel good about one's self, then great :) especially if it helps your game

If having shiny shoes makes Fish feel more confident, that's great. It's his opinion of himself.

And bless him for thinking I'm the type of woman who has her hair "done" and buys new dresses!
I do like to keep my clubs clean so I'm not a total slut!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion, setting standards at golf clubs is a great way to seperate the wheat from the chaff... so to. Speak.

By imposing standards of dress that require a minimal amount of fore thought and probably a little extra spend, I like to think anyone who goes to the trouble of meeting the standards before a round are more likely to respect the course, members rules and etiquette. Anyone who doesn't want to make thebeffort always has the option to play at a municipal course