Dress Codes - give us your views!

ThePhantom

Medal Winner
Visit site
It annoys me that someone is allowed in the clubhouse in sports direct specials and yet a quality pair of jeans at x5 the cost at least is refused. Common sense has to prevail, smart casual in the clubhouse, jeans allowed as long as they are not ripped/bleached 80s style. Make the assumption you are going out for a nice meal and dress accordingly. I wear jeans all the time and have never been refused entry to a restaurant - smart ones of course ;)

on the course is a different matter, golf attire only! I personally love my golf clothing, there is nothing better than feeling the mutts nuts on the first - then of course you duck hook :D

no one would admit it but I bet they spend as much time as the Mrs picking clothes out for an important round?

ThePhantom

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sorry just to polish up on my political correctness I refer to my last sentence, it should read - no one would admit it but I bet they spend as much time as their 'partners' picking clothes out for an important round

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i have never seen the appeal of going out for a meal or for that matter anywhere for a drink wearing jeans,no matter how smart they are or how much they cost they still look like working pants,i must be in a very small minority that have never owned a pair,what is wrong in wearing proper trousers,same goes for shoes NOTHING looks worse than dirty scuffed shoes it just smacks of slovenly behaviour.

ThePhantom

Medal Winner
Visit site
See this is what people are up against! I've got jeans worth more than your entire outfit no doubt and no they do not look like work jeans, the clubhouse is a place to relax not get all pompus! No one said there is anything wrong with wearing a pair of trousers just that some people prefer to be comfortable in what they wear. To be honest I'm more offended by seeing cheap / dodgy looking trousers and £7 sports direct clobber

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
i have never seen the appeal of going out for a meal or for that matter anywhere for a drink wearing jeans,no matter how smart they are or how much they cost they still look like working pants,i must be in a very small minority that have never owned a pair,what is wrong in wearing proper trousers,same goes for shoes NOTHING looks worse than dirty scuffed shoes it just smacks of slovenly behaviour.

For many people smartly cut trousers are work wear ;)

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
It annoys me that someone is allowed in the clubhouse in sports direct specials and yet a quality pair of jeans at x5 the cost at least is refused. Common sense has to prevail, smart casual in the clubhouse, jeans allowed as long as they are not ripped/bleached 80s style. Make the assumption you are going out for a nice meal and dress accordingly. I wear jeans all the time and have never been refused entry to a restaurant - smart ones of course ;)

on the course is a different matter, golf attire only! I personally love my golf clothing, there is nothing better than feeling the mutts nuts on the first - then of course you duck hook :D

no one would admit it but I bet they spend as much time as the Mrs picking clothes out for an important round?

Sports direct specials are about a tenner, 5 x that doesn't get you a decent pair of jeans :lol:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Honestly I cannot see the point of dress code threads. Basically all of us have to dress to the rules of our respective clubs regardless of how we think. If the rules say 'Golf attire' then that is what you will wear. If a muni then jeans, sport shirt and combats will be allowed and the norm. There is no point in rebelling and turning up wearing anything other than club rules is futile, it simply will not be allowed. Rules do change with generations, they get lax and things that were not allowed 20 years earlier are just accepted. Attitudes do change with age. I was a New Romantic as a teen but now I conform to the dress of a fifty year old. All you young 'un's who yearn for playing in jeans and combats may not think the same way in their 50's. If you do not agree with the code of a club then you will find somewhere more to your liking. There are courses for everyone.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For many people smartly cut trousers are work wear ;)
don't see many builders wearing £80 trousers when mixing cement,if your nipping down the pub for a pint nothing wrong with slipping a pair of jeans on if that is what you feel comfy in and no doubt the vast majority in there will be dressed the same,but i feel the clubhouse is different and no matter what people say i don't thing any denim clothing looks smart.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly I cannot see the point of dress code threads. Basically all of us have to dress to the rules of our respective clubs regardless of how we think. If the rules say 'Golf attire' then that is what you will wear. If a muni then jeans, sport shirt and combats will be allowed and the norm. There is no point in rebelling and turning up wearing anything other than club rules is futile, it simply will not be allowed. Rules do change with generations, they get lax and things that were not allowed 20 years earlier are just accepted. Attitudes do change with age. I was a New Romantic as a teen but now I conform to the dress of a fifty year old. All you young 'un's who yearn for playing in jeans and combats may not think the same way in their 50's. If you do not agree with the code of a club then you will find somewhere more to your liking. There are courses for everyone.
is the correct answer

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
don't see many builders wearing £80 trousers when mixing cement,if your nipping down the pub for a pint nothing wrong with slipping a pair of jeans on if that is what you feel comfy in and no doubt the vast majority in there will be dressed the same,but i feel the clubhouse is different and no matter what people say i don't thing any denim clothing looks smart.

don't see many builders mixing cement in £100 jeans either.

Democracy rules, you have to go by what the majority of the membership want, a concept I am happy to abide by.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

Photos or we don't believe you :)

I agree with what you are saying. Personally I would not wear jeans to play golf even if it were permitted at my clubs, it's more of a practicality issue for me though.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See this is what people are up against! I've got jeans worth more than your entire outfit no doubt and no they do not look like work jeans, the clubhouse is a place to relax not get all pompous! No one said there is anything wrong with wearing a pair of trousers just that some people prefer to be comfortable in what they wear. To be honest I'm more offended by seeing cheap / dodgy looking trousers and £7 sports direct clobber
how do you know how much my clothes cost were you spying on me coming out of matalan's? as for the £7 trousers,not many at my club would know that you could buy clothes that cheap it all comes down to perception,if everyone was allowed to wear jeans and tee shirts in the club house what image would that send out to perspective members looking for a more traditional club who are willing to spend £2000 to play,you call it pompous i like to call it standards.

ThePhantom

Medal Winner
Visit site
how do you know how much my clothes cost were you spying on me coming out of matalan's? as for the £7 trousers,not many at my club would know that you could buy clothes that cheap it all comes down to perception,if everyone was allowed to wear jeans and tee shirts in the club house what image would that send out to perspective members looking for a more traditional club who are willing to spend £2000 to play,you call it pompous i like to call it standards.

Just so we are clear, I'm not advocating playing in jeans at all. In the clubhouse why not, shirt tucked in.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

It is down to each and every club to lay down the standard for dress, in accordance with the wishes of the majority of the membership. To those that value a more traditional standard - good on them. My feelings are that no one is forced into joining a particular club, you find the club that is the 'best fit' for you.

The problem is those clubs where they feel they could seriously enhance revenue by relaxing the rules (and thereby remaining solvent) but elements of the membership are stubbornly resistive to change.

ThePhantom

Medal Winner
Visit site
It is down to each and every club to lay down the standard for dress, in accordance with the wishes of the majority of the membership. To those that value a more traditional standard - good on them. My feelings are that no one is forced into joining a particular club, you find the club that is the 'best fit' for you.

The problem is those clubs where they feel they could seriously enhance revenue by relaxing the rules (and thereby remaining solvent) but elements of the membership are stubbornly resistive to change.

Thankfully my club moves with the times, everyone is well turned out on the course and in the clubhouse. There has even been sightings of DENIM yes DENIM in the clubhouse! With a more relaxed attitude in the clubhouse the takings have tripled, no bar fights from the nasty denim brigade either!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just so we are clear, I'm not advocating playing in jeans at all. In the clubhouse why not, shirt tucked in.
i suppose it all boils down to the type of club and the age of the majority of the members your a member at,my club is over a 120 years old with a mix of ages but the majority are in there 50's+ and tend to be business men or accountants etc so the idea of lounging round in the club house in jeans and trainers would be alien to them ( and me ) if its a newer more relaxed type of club that relies on visitors and societies for its revenue rules could well be more forgiving,it all comes down to were you choose to join and for what reason you chose to join in the first place.