Dress Codes - give us your views!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this goes to the heart of the matter. Who's consensus is it? The consensus of the mostly middle to old aged white male members of the committee, or the consensus of the generation that most golf clubs need to attract?

the consensus of current members. You aren't going to change the ethos of a club for future members and drive the current away, it will never happen. You also aren't going to change anything by shouting from the outside. Until you join a club and campaign from within for a change in dress codes you haven't got a voice.

Accept the fact dress codes will evolve over time. Also I don't see these hordes of young golfers looking to join a club and being put off by the dress code, Golf isn't really a fashionable game, people look to join golf clubs in their 30's when they have got the time and cash to devote to it. No one wants to wear jeans and a wife-beater on the course in their 30's. If they do there's a muni down the road where they can be more than happy.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm old fashioned I don't know but as a youngster playing football I was expected from the age of 15 to turn up to matches in trousers, shirt and a club tie. It wasn't my chosen attire at that age but those were the rules so I did and I wore it in the clubhouse afterwards. I used to get fined for not doing so, for being late and for not having clean boots, even when I turned up for training. When I went to play golf I wore golfing attire, again, not because it was my chosen clothing but because those were the rules and I wanted to play golf.

Guess what, we had jeans, tracksuits and trainers back then as well but we used to abide by the rules set out by the activity we wanted to do. I'd really honestly like to know what's changed that means today's kids are so hard done by that we have to change the dress code for the golf course?

The real issue of getting younger people to play golf is about giving them the opportunity to do so, getting into schools and giving them access to facilities and coaching. If you do that and the kids like it, they'll play and they'll ask their parents to buy them the latest Ricky Fowler outfit to go and play in. If golf has a perception amongst the young folk about being stuffy then lets get out there and educate them, not just allow jeans on the course and hope they come.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't understand why clothing requirements should put youngsters off playing golf.
I'm 33, so maybe I'm getting too old to understand. But I was a junior golfer and had no issue with having to abide by the rules of the club/game. I hated wearing a school uniform far more, but as with golf I had to wear it.

Besides, most of the juniors I know have much fancier golf attire than I have ever worn.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
My club is traditional but moving with the times. What isn't allowed in the clubhouse is hats (any sorts), stonewash or ripped jeans, collarless top. On the course you should be wearing golf attire
Mobile Phones: kept on silent. Voice calls on mobile phones should only be made by the front door.

Dress code: Smart casual for both males and females is acceptable throughout the Clubhouse except on special occasions. Please dress modestly and, as a guide, the following items are deemed unacceptable:
 Rugby or football shirts  Sports shorts  Stonewash or ripped denim jeans  Tracksuits, Collarless shirts featuring any slogans or improper logos.  Golf shoes with metal spikes. Flip flops.
Main Lounge: Clothes should not be draped or hung over chairs. Clothing not being worn should be placed in a cloakroom or locker room. No outdoor clothes (but please apply common sense for items like sports jackets etc) are to be taken into the Main Bar including: Waterproofs  Overcoats  Windcheaters  Sleeveless body warmers  Hats and gloves. Hats: Gentlemen should remove hats on entering the Club and place them in a locker room or cloakroom. Golf shoes: Clean, dry soft spike golf shoes may be worn everywhere except the Main Lounge.
Children: Children under 10 are not allowed into the Main Lounge. All children under 18 (unless members) should be accompanied by an adult who is responsible for their behaviour.

I think I'd be happy that Juniors adhere to that but those under 12 should have even more relaxed rules. You want to create a relaxed and friendly comforting environment but not pub like.

I'm also amazed by some people being set against chinos!!! Perhaps it is the style but I really like mine as they are fairly tailored but no creases up the front. On really hot days, not in recent years, I think noce shorts are great but long socks look idiotic and would actually prefer thoose small in the shoe only socks.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd stick with golf attire on the course but allow jeans, trainers and casual clothes in the clubhouse. As with others I've been passing the course and might have popped in for a drink or food if I wasn't wearing jeans.

I don't think it's black and white for juniors. Don't see any point on forcing youngsters trying out the game to wear strict golf gear but on the other hand I think the more longstanding juniors should stick to the same rules as other members. Not sure how to work that... Maybe over a certain age?

I've argued for jeans in the clubhouse with the past captain and the current captain.... It ain't happening any time soon! :(

Hooper

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there any evidence that dress codes are putting off youngsters taking up the game or is it as HK says just part of a bigger image/perception golf has with the youngsters today? To the people who keep talking about "standards" what do you think will happen if people started wearing jeans at your club? How would that affect you as a person and what you get out of the game of golf? What do you think would happen to your club? As I have I have been there and guess what I still play and the club is still a great club with a healthy membership.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Accept the fact dress codes will evolve over time.

I do. It's just that golf clubs seem to be working on geological time scales.

When I have eaten at a Gordon Ramsey 2 Michelin stared restaurant in clothes in which I would not be allowed to go into some club houses in the evening for a pie and chips, then something is wrong. And I was by no stretch of the imagination the most 'scruffily' dressed person in the restaurant before someone argues that. There's more problems around golf clubs than just wearing jeans.....

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Is there any evidence that dress codes are putting off youngsters taking up the game or is it as HK says just part of a bigger image/perception golf has with the youngsters today? To the people who keep talking about "standards" what do you think will happen if people started wearing jeans at your club? How would that affect you as a person and what you get out of the game of golf? What do you think would happen to your club? As I have I have been there and guess what I still play and the club is still a great club with a healthy membership.

Well personally if I saw someone with their shirt untucked or with jeans on I would spontaneously combust. As it is a sure sign of the end of days and the forbearer of the 4 horseman of the apocalypse ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I do. It's just that golf clubs seem to be working on geological time scales.

When I have eaten at a Gordon Ramsey 2 Michelin stared restaurant in clothes in which I would not be allowed to go into some club houses in the evening for a pie and chips, then something is wrong. And I was by no stretch of the imagination the most 'scruffily' dressed person in the restaurant before someone argues that. There's more problems around golf clubs than just wearing jeans.....

In your opinion. And this isthe crux of the argument, i.e. the subjectivity of it all and the entrenched attitudes of those who debate it.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's do-da about an awful lot of the argument but is there any wonder that the argument is so entrenched. You've got one side shouting, "STANDARDS," and another side shouting, "LUDDITES."

Gentle reasoned argument will see movement but when either side resorts deriding the other's opinion to such an extent... been hearing this argument for more years than donkey's have been on the planet and invairably when the volume rises reason goes in the other direction.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Members clubs should reflect the wants/ needs of their members, I've got no great desire to revolutionise my club, but would welcome a relaxation in Th bar. I've no great issue with the current code but it will evolve with time. As for shirt and tie in the evening, if you want the atmosphere of a wake, then set the dress code accordingly!:D
we have a members lounge,a snooker room a tv lounge and bar,i see nothing wrong in having the members lounge dress code set higher than the rest of the club house,and as for the atmosphere being like a wake on the conterey it is normally full and lively on a weekend as we have artists or racing nights and carverys on every weekend,the only time casual dress is relaxed is for the bbq's in the summer,everyone who joins is well aware about the dress code prior to paying the joining fee and most come because of the traditions the club still upheld,like i said if you don't like it don't join there are plenty of clubs at the other end of the market,would you take your wife for a relaxing drink only to be surrounded by denim wearing louts who use course language and obsenatise it is all about the atmosphere that comes with people respecting the rules and traditions of any golf club.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your a member of a golf club and you don't like the rules , just canvass your fellow members for support , and put in a proposal before the next agm, and see how the vote goes. no point shouting about it on the forum .

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
and the award for the post containing ridiculous stereotyping goes to................

we have a members lounge,a snooker room a tv lounge and bar,i see nothing wrong in having the members lounge dress code set higher than the rest of the club house,and as for the atmosphere being like a wake on the conterey it is normally full and lively on a weekend as we have artists or racing nights and carverys on every weekend,the only time casual dress is relaxed is for the bbq's in the summer,everyone who joins is well aware about the dress code prior to paying the joining fee and most come because of the traditions the club still upheld,like i said if you don't like it don't join there are plenty of clubs at the other end of the market,would you take your wife for a relaxing drink only to be surrounded by denim wearing louts who use course language and obsenatise it is all about the atmosphere that comes with people respecting the rules and traditions of any golf club.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
and the award for the post containing ridiculous stereotyping goes to................

:D . Mind you he (or she) has a point. There's no way I would take my wife for a relaxing Babysham if there was people wearing denim in the bar with me. It's just not on.

Last edited: