Changes to WHS in April 2024

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sunday morning scenario. (Club has a Board that shows Rounded Handicaps)
Bob (HI 5.3) & Ed (HI 10.3) On the 1st Tee, Bob says right, checked the Board, I get 6 you get 10.
No, says Ed I checked online before I left the house, I get 11 you get 5.

This is what will happen in casual golf because there are effectively going to be two systems in operation. Bob wants his 6 and Ed wants his 11.
Ed loves the new system, Bob, not so much.........

View attachment 52344
This is a genuine two shot swing using valid course data.
Bob and Ed should just look on the My England Golf app (other countries are available), check their course handicaps and get going.

Job jobbed.

It’s casual golf so utterly irrelevant what they choose to play off in truth. So why would they be applying 95%?

Genu9

Visit site
Bob and Ed should just look on the My England Golf app (other countries are available), check their course handicaps and get going.

Job jobbed.

It’s casual golf so utterly irrelevant what they choose to play off in truth. So why would they be applying 95%?
Some people like to play to their PH in casual play as a matter of course. ATM myEG only gives Rounded CH. They may be intending to do both, I don't know. The point is having two methods of calculating PH is bound to lead to confusion.

Never understood why you are given a Handicap and then it has to be reduced by 5% anyway.

wjemather

Visit site
Some people like to play to their PH in casual play as a matter of course. ATM myEG only gives Rounded CH. They may be intending to do both, I don't know. The point is having two methods of calculating PH is bound to lead to confusion.

Never understood why you are given a Handicap and then it has to be reduced by 5% anyway.
MyEG is for General Play so only advises Course Handicaps. EG have said it will not be updated to advise Playing Handicaps.

The only confusion is for people looking to make things more complicated than they are.

Allowances are needed to maintain equity in different formats of play - always have been - it's just now we see the adjustment for individual stroke play, whereas before it was hidden, and the resultant favouring of low handicappers in match play was an acceptable/accepted trade-off.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Aren't you only supposed to use unrounded when you have the machine precision ability to do so ie. when an ISV calculates it for a competition, an use unrounded where machine precision isn't available.

I know for one, I won't care about my unrounded handicap unless there is a computer telling me the answer

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The only confusion is for people looking to make things more complicated than they are.
I’m sure there will be a vocal minority doing just this.

I have never stood on the first tee wondering what my HC is. The thought of standing there working out what I’m playing off, and having any kind of discussion about it with someone else before a casual round does not compute.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In casual play, they are free to agree whatever strokes they like, irrespective of any handicap system, but...

Since there are no mandatory allowances for individual strokeplay in casual play, everyone should just use their (rounded) Course Handicap, and not make things more difficult than they need to be.
Yep.
When playing casual golf with me, everyone is free to agree with me.
If they don't agree with me, then I don't agree with them. Seems fair.

D-S

Visit site
In casual golf a lot depends on how much money is on the line and who is getting more or fewer shots depending on whether they use rounded handicaps or a handicap calculator.

NearHull

Visit site
Sunday morning scenario. (Club has a Board that shows Rounded Handicaps)
Bob (HI 5.3) & Ed (HI 10.3) On the 1st Tee, Bob says right, checked the Board, I get 6 you get 10.
No, says Ed I checked online before I left the house, I get 11 you get 5.

This is what will happen in casual golf because there are effectively going to be two systems in operation. Bob wants his 6 and Ed wants his 11.
Ed loves the new system, Bob, not so much.........

View attachment 52344
This is a genuine two shot swing using valid course data.
In all of the WHS presentations that I have attended , I seem to recall that great emphasis was placed on the importance of not allowing groups of members to run their own handicap systems. It was stated that players only have one handicap.

Now, GB&I are actively promoting, in essence, a two handicap systems, the machine precision system for competitions and then the double rounded system for casual play. I believe the organisation is hypocritical in taking this stance. As Genu9 states, there will be confusion and arguments on the tee when informal competitive games are played - whether you play for a a couple of pounds or just a cup of tee - the PH matters.

We will be making machine calculated PH readily available for 85%/95%/100% formats and strongly recommending that members use them at all times.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In all of the WHS presentations that I have attended , I seem to recall that great emphasis was placed on the importance of not allowing groups of members to run their own handicap systems. It was stated that players only have one handicap.

Now, GB&I are actively promoting, in essence, a two handicap systems, the machine precision system for competitions and then the double rounded system for casual play. I believe the organisation is hypocritical in taking this stance. As Genu9 states, there will be confusion and arguments on the tee when informal competitive games are played - whether you play for a a couple of pounds or just a cup of tee - the PH matters.

We will be making machine calculated PH readily available for 85%/95%/100% formats and strongly recommending that members use them at all times.
Yes I was always taught you have only one handicap the lowest one.

It’s a simple enough system made complicated.

Genu9

Visit site
MyEG is for General Play so only advises Course Handicaps. EG have said it will not be updated to advise Playing Handicaps.

Allowances are needed to maintain equity in different formats of play - always have been - it's just now we see the adjustment for individual stroke play, whereas before it was hidden, and the resultant favouring of low handicappers in match play was an acceptable/accepted trade-off.
You seem obsessed with people making things more complicated than they are, yet the very people you so vociferously defend are the main instigators of that very thing.

Genu9

Visit site
I’m sure there will be a vocal minority doing just this.

I have never stood on the first tee wondering what my HC is. The thought of standing there working out what I’m playing off, and having any kind of discussion about it with someone else before a casual round does not compute.
Is that a 'machine precision' does not compute?😁

IanMcC

Visit site
Here is what we as a Handicap Committee have sent out to members regarding the 1st April changes. Feel free to copy or criticise. :)

Good Day Members,

I’m sure most of you will have heard of the changes to WHS coming in from April 1st 2024. (…and no, its not an April Fool!!) In this M&H Update we would like to talk you through the impact it will have on members, hopefully using terms and explanations that you will all understand. For a full breakdown of all of the changes, see the attached document from Wales Golf, but here we will only highlight the changes that affect your Playing Handicap calculations.

Firstly, it is worth mentioning that these changes have been adopted in CONGU affiliated countries to bring us into line with other affiliations. For better or worse, it does make it more of a ‘World’ system.

Also, if you never really bother with your allowance, and rely on the software to tell you how many strokes you receive, that is fine. You can skip the rest of this Update. Just be aware that it will change in April.

There are two main changes which directly affect your Playing Handicap.

1. The introduction of Course Rating minus Par (CR-Par) into the Course Handicap Calculation.

2. The introduction of non-rounding at the Course Handicap Stage.

We shall try and deal with these together, but it is worth explaining a little about each change separately beforehand.

CR-Par – This calculation was included in almost every other Worldwide affiliation in 2019 when WHS started, but was not taken up by CONGU. It will be introduced on 1/4/24. It simply means that the Par of the course will be taken into account when determining the allowance received. More specifically, the Par in relation to the Course Rating. This will help basic understanding in a couple of areas. Firstly, it will do away with the need for one tee to receive an allowance over another in a basic comp. Our Wednesday Stablefords, for example, will not now be altered by the Gents receiving extra shots if a Lady plays. All of this will be taken care of at the basic Handicap Index to Course Handicap calculation. Also, it will mean that scoring 36 points will truly be ‘Playing to your Handicap’. CR-Par will mean a step change in all players’ Course Handicaps. 2.3 strokes upwards for white tees, 0.7 strokes downwards for yellows, and 0.3 strokes downwards for reds. To see the effect this will have on your actual Playing Handicap, we need to talk about the other change.

Non Rounding of Course Handicap – Up until now, in England & Wales, there have been two decimal roundings during the calculation. One to make the Course Handicap a whole number, and another to make the Playing Handicap a whole number. (Scotland have not rounded the CH since day 1). From 1/4/24, the Course Handicap will be an unrounded figure. This ultimately is to make your final allowance more accurate, but it does introduce changes for the club golfer.

The large conversion boards that we see at all courses will become redundant, in as much that they cannot list all Course Handicaps for all Handicap Indexes, for all modes of play using different allowances. What is required is a conversion table which takes you straight to your Playing Handicap from your Handicap Index. I have attached the white/yellow/red tables for 95% allowance, which is any Individual Comp that is not Matchplay. The good thing about this is that you don’t have to do the 95% conversion anymore. If you use these charts, or one of the online allowance converters, the actual strokes received is the answer you are given. Our large board will be removed, but the pro is actively procuring a replacement that will fit all needs.

The fact that Course Handicap is now being somewhat ‘bypassed’ in the calculations has an effect on how allowances are derived in a Fourball Match. Before the change, each player worked out 90% of their CH, then their allowance was the full difference from the lowest. In future, the Course Handicap for 4 Ball Betterball is rounded decimally as before to produce a Playing Handicap, and the 90% adjustment will then be applied. So, you receive 90% of the difference from the lowest handicap now, not full difference as before. We have attached a ‘Handicap Lookup’ file, which we recommend to use for any competitive round. (Our course figures are pre-loaded, but editable if you want to use this for an away course.) We have also, however, attached a conversion chart for matches using our Gents white tees. A copy of this will be on the Gents Matchplay noticeboard. Please do not mix this up with the Strokeplay conversion chart, as allowances will be different.

The above are the only real changes in your day to day competitive golf. The differentials will not be affected, so your Handicap Index adjustments after a round will be exactly the same. The only change in your Index may be after a Pairs non-Matchplay round (maybe at an Open, or maybe the Mayflower Cup), as some qualifying criteria have been introduced into this sector. I will not go into that here, as it will affect hardly anyone, but full details can be seen in the attachment.

Needless to say, any queries can be directed towards any of the Handicap Committee , or indeed the pro, who has a full grasp of the changes also.

Many thanks,

M&H Committee

Spring 2024

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Would that round be acceptable for handicap and, if so, how do they scale up the holes not completed over there?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
!st April happened on 1st March here in South Africa. The 9 hole add-on algorithm seems to have been implemented.

Not sure about the use of unrounded course handicaps.

With a handicap index of 25.8, my course handicap of the reds =25.8 *120/113 -72 + 67.3 = 22.698230 to few decimal places.

85% of that =19.293496. Rounded, that's 19.
85% of rounded course handicap of 23 = 19.55. Rounded, that's 20.

I was given of 20 by the machine 🤣

Now it could be the rounding in their soft capping algorithm (I've never been able to figure this out for both HNA and EG) or it could be the fact the HNA hold differentials to 4 dp and have recalculated the handicap index on the fly (which I have experienced them do before).

NearHull

Visit site
!st April happened on 1st March here in South Africa. The 9 hole add-on algorithm seems to have been implemented.

Not sure about the use of unrounded course handicaps.

With a handicap index of 25.8, my course handicap of the reds =25.8 *120/113 -72 + 67.3 = 22.698230 to few decimal places.

85% of that =19.293496. Rounded, that's 19.
85% of rounded course handicap of 23 = 19.55. Rounded, that's 20.

I was given of 20 by the machine 🤣

Now it could be the rounding in their soft capping algorithm (I've never been able to figure this out for both HNA and EG) or it could be the fact the HNA hold differentials to 4 dp and have recalculated the handicap index on the fly (which I have experienced them do before).
So the two handicap issue happens in SA. I’m not totally surprised that it also occurs in outside of GB&I as I was informed by an ‘insider’ that the double rounding for casual golf was imposed by the R&A.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Would that round be acceptable for handicap and, if so, how do they scale up the holes not completed over there?
The 9 hole expected score algorithm seems to be in place here.

I am not getting into the exected score for individual holes not completed. I don't know the algorithm and I'm not a masocist.

Howver, when playing a 4 ball and you are say, with a metre or so of the pin and can't better your partner's score, you can pick up and use the most likely score. In fact, if you don't pick up, you can be accused of padding your handicap if you take 2 putts instead of one.

D-S

Visit site
The 9 hole expected score algorithm seems to be in place here.

I am not getting into the exected score for individual holes not completed. I don't know the algorithm and I'm not a masocist.

Howver, when playing a 4 ball and you are say, with a metre or so of the pin and can't better your partner's score, you can pick up and use the most likely score. In fact, if you don't pick up, you can be accused of padding your handicap if you take 2 putts instead of one.
So if you are 20 yards away from the hole and cannot better your partners score, what do you do?

Swango1980

Visit site
So if you are 20 yards away from the hole and cannot better your partners score, what do you do?
The Rules of Handicapping states (Rule 3.3, in regions where MLS applies), for Most Likely Score

If on putting green, and no more than 5 feet from hole - Add One Shot
If ball 5 feet to 20 yards from hole - Add 2-3 strokes, depending on position of the ball, difficulty of green and ability of player
If more than 20 yards from hole - Add 3-4 strokes, depending on position of the ball, difficulty of the green and ability of the player

D-S

Visit site
The Rules of Handicapping states (Rule 3.3, in regions where MLS applies), for Most Likely Score

If on putting green, and no more than 5 feet from hole - Add One Shot
If ball 5 feet to 20 yards from hole - Add 2-3 strokes, depending on position of the ball, difficulty of green and ability of player
If more than 20 yards from hole - Add 3-4 strokes, depending on position of the ball, difficulty of the green and ability of the player
So if you are roughly 20 yards/metres away then 2, 3 or 4 shots dependent on distance judgement, ball position, difficulty and golfer skill.