Changes to WHS in April 2024

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I was excited (OK, mildly interested) to submit a 9 hole score today as the 2024 changes kicked in on 1st March here in South Africa.

Imagine my severe disappointment, on entering the gross scores on the website, that it calculated the old fashioned way with a gross for the 9 not played together with the differential. Oh well, I pressed OK. My disappointment faded away; the next screen showed the new fangled differential with no sign of a gross for the imaginary 9. And it matched the result of the alorithm I've been given for the expected score.

wjemather

Visit site
This is the way a lot of clubs are going.

The big issue is QR codes to where? A bespoke calculator? Your ISV? (have they produced a calculator yet?), EG? (if they put a calculator for all formats on their App?).
The general idea is to host Course Handicap charts on the club website and direct QR codes to there.

EG have been clear that MyEG app is for GP only, and ISVs should be providing allowances for competitions through their apps.

D-S

Visit site
I was excited (OK, mildly interested) to submit a 9 hole score today as the 2024 changes kicked in on 1st March here in South Africa.

Imagine my severe disappointment, on entering the gross scores on the website, that it calculated the old fashioned way with a gross for the 9 not played together with the differential. Oh well, I pressed OK. My disappointment faded away; the next screen showed the new fangled differential with no sign of a gross for the imaginary 9. And it matched the result of the alorithm I've been given for the expected score.
Where did you get the algorithm for the expected score - I thought this was the property of the R&A and USGA?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Gives you what info? IG gives you the unrounded figure?

So an official competition that isn’t stroke play gets run to different rules to an official stroke play that is stroke play and a player could have 2 different handicap numbers of using rounded and unfounded.
IG app shows the strokes the higher handicap player gets in a match play competition

Your second paragraph reads like gobbledygook to me.

As I understand it though IG will show Course Handicaps to two decimal places from 1st April.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Where did you get the algorithm for the expected score - I thought this was the property of the R&A and USGA?
Differential for 9 not played = handicap index * 0.52 + 1.2

It's probably best if I don't divulge the source if an algorithm can be copyrighted or patented. I've not seen it published anywhere but it also works with examples I've seen.

It makes more sense, in my opinion, than to base the mythical holes on something like this rather than on the course you've just played. But it's still trying to solve a conceptual problem with arithmetic. I lament the passing of adding two 9 hole scores together; I know that had its own problems but at least you actually played the holes.

Genu9

Visit site
IG app shows the strokes the higher handicap player gets in a match play competition

Your second paragraph reads like gobbledygook to me.

As I understand it though IG will show Course Handicaps to two decimal places from 1st April.
All the examples in the guidance show CH to 3 decimal places. For consistency across the board shouldn't others do the same?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
All the examples in the guidance show CH to 3 decimal places. For consistency across the board shouldn't others do the same?
Yes and IG may do so, not sure a final decision has been made. On their webinar last we it was suggested by some that 2 would be sufficient but they were going to crunch the numbers to identify if two caused problems.

D-S

Visit site
Differential for 9 not played = handicap index * 0.52 + 1.2
So,if this is correct it is marginally more penal for everyone than the current system?
To express the current system in a similar fashion it would be - Differential for 9 not played = handicap index*0.5 + 1. Is that right?
Do you know how that changes for lesser amounts of holes played?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
So,if this is correct it is marginally more penal for everyone than the current system?
To express the current system in a similar fashion it would be - Differential for 9 not played = handicap index*0.5 + 1. Is that right?
Do you know how that changes for lesser amounts of holes played?
The old (ZA) system used a gross of net par plus one, from the 9 played, for the 9 not played. The current UK system is more convoluted using an 18 hole course handicap based on the ratings of the 9 played. So the result would depend on the ratings for that course I think. For me this morning, the differential was 1 more than under the old system.

I don't know the formulae for expected scores for individual holes not played in an 18 hole round. I don't think I want to know :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the way a lot of clubs are going.

The big issue is QR codes to where? A bespoke calculator? Your ISV? (have they produced a calculator yet?), EG? (if they put a calculator for all formats on their App?).
I do not actually know, the club manager just mentioned it.
We are going the same way with local rules, QR code on the card. What happens to those without smart phones is another question.

Reactions: D-S

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not actually know, the club manager just mentioned it.
We are going the same way with local rules, QR code on the card. What happens to those without smart phones is another question.
I guess they'd just have to ensure they have an up-to-date 'hard copy' with them. I doubt most Clubs could fit their full LR's on a card anymore

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I don't know the formulae for expected scores for individual holes not played in an 18 hole round. I don't think I want to know :ROFLMAO:

Crikey.... I didn't play today, but I've been cut, based on the score it thinks I might have got, if I'd actually played!😁😁

....if we continue on same path! Daft? Well, when I started playing if you'd told me some of the stuff currently bring proposed, I'd have thought you were joking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crikey.... I didn't play today, but I've been cut, based on the score it thinks I might have got, if I'd actually played!😁😁

....if we continue on same path! Daft? Well, when I started playing if you'd told me some of the stuff currently bring proposed, I'd have thought you were joking.
I still think they are.
I just can’t see how you can get a score for holes you havnt played.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Feel free.
Given how golf can go I have had several rounds where I have been level par after 9 holes to only just scrape breaking 80 .
It happens a lot in golf.

My mate is notorious for signing for something like a 32 comprised of 25 out and 7 back! 😁😁 He's done it the other way round too.

I guess you can hide it all behind an unpublished algorithm or formula and say, "you wouldn't understand it!" 🤣

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From April...

Individual: difference between rounded Course Handicaps
4BBB: 90% of the difference between rounded Course Handicaps
Foursomes: 50% of the difference between combined rounded Course Handicaps
Looking at the 4BBB Matchplay which is our norm from 1/4/24 could somebody preferably WJE Mather or Rulefan confirm this is correct please:
4 players with rounded Course Handicaps as follows:

A 6
B 10
C 18
D 25

B receives 90% of 4 = 3.6 =4
C receives 90% of12 =10.8 =11
D receives 90% of19 =17.1 =17

If wrong please explain where the mistake is.

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Looking at the 4BBB Matchplay which is our norm from 1/4/24 could somebody preferably WJE Mather or Rulefan confirm this is correct please:
4 players with rounded Course Handicaps as follows:

A 6
B 10
C 18
D 25

B receives 90% of 4 = 3.6 =4
C receives 90% of12 =10.8 =11
D receives 90% of19 =17.1 =17

If wrong please explain where the mistake is.

Many thanks

Looks spot on