Changes to WHS in April 2024

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess they'd just have to ensure they have an up-to-date 'hard copy' with them. I doubt most Clubs could fit their full LR's on a card anymore
On the card we only have the LRs that you would need whilst playing out on the course but they do take up full side of the card.

D-S

Visit site
I know EG have changed to Rounded handicaps for the calculation of shots in 4BB and Foursomes matchplay, but there was an anomaly that Greensomes matchplay was still unrounded. I noticed today that it now appears to be rounded in the Mixed Tee Calculator - has this been changed?

wjemather

Visit site
I know EG have changed to Rounded handicaps for the calculation of shots in 4BB and Foursomes matchplay, but there was an anomaly that Greensomes matchplay was still unrounded. I noticed today that it now appears to be rounded in the Mixed Tee Calculator - has this been changed?
Looks to be unrounded in the calculator I just downloaded (the values left in there when it was saved all happen to result in CHs that are exact integers; slope 113, CR, Par and indexes all x.0):

1709998684006.png

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
The values they have entered do result in x.000 unrounded Course Handicaps, because slope=113, and all CRs, Pars and indexes are x.0.
Thank you very much for that - thought I was going mad. Very strange to have that as the 'example' or default number though as it causes this sort of confusion.

Still odd that they haven't aligned it with 4BB and Foursomes though.

wjemather

Visit site
Thank you very much for that - thought I was going mad. Very strange to have that as the 'example' or default number though as it causes this sort of confusion.

Still odd that they haven't aligned it with 4BB and Foursomes though.
Yes, it's an unfortunate choice of numbers for them to leave in there.

True; I'd guess the feeling is that people don't work out greensomes allowances on the tee, but do for 4bbb and foursomes.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The inclusion of "machine precision" in the handicapping system is, imo, both unfortunate and needless. It reminds me of the differences between accuracy and precision (see link below). The number of decimal places in a number (as calculated by a machine) does not improve it's accuracy. Also reminds me of an old acronym regarding computers - GIGO, garbage in, gospel out.
One wonders how players used to correctly apply handicaps before computers and calculators! Rounding to two decimal places is more than sufficient, given that the course rating (and part of the calculation of differentials) is only to a single decimal place.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The inclusion of "machine precision" in the handicapping system is, imo, both unfortunate and needless. It reminds me of the differences between accuracy and precision (see link below). The number of decimal places in a number (as calculated by a machine) does not improve it's accuracy. Also reminds me of an old acronym regarding computers - GIGO, garbage in, gospel out.
One wonders how players used to correctly apply handicaps before computers and calculators! Rounding to two decimal places is more than sufficient, given that the course rating (and part of the calculation of differentials) is only to a single decimal place.
Precisely!

Genu9

Visit site
Well that's odd I just opened it without making any changes on a Mac and got this.

View attachment 52283View attachment 52283
The reason for that is the file that is available for download is being used so the data is changing. I did a file compare on one I downlaed on 4th March and today. The version hasn't changed but there are 494 differences of either Entered Value changed or Calculated Value changed. When a file is posted for download it shouldn't be used as a 'working' file. Fundamental Practice.

Last edited:

Genu9

Visit site
Sunday morning scenario. (Club has a Board that shows Rounded Handicaps)
Bob (HI 5.3) & Ed (HI 10.3) On the 1st Tee, Bob says right, checked the Board, I get 6 you get 10.
No, says Ed I checked online before I left the house, I get 11 you get 5.

This is what will happen in casual golf because there are effectively going to be two systems in operation. Bob wants his 6 and Ed wants his 11.
Ed loves the new system, Bob, not so much.........

1710339314461.png
This is a genuine two shot swing using valid course data.

wjemather

Visit site
Sunday morning scenario. (Club has a Board that shows Rounded Handicaps)
Bob (HI 5.3) & Ed (HI 10.3) On the 1st Tee, Bob says right, checked the Board, I get 6 you get 10.
No, says Ed I checked online before I left the house, I get 11 you get 5.

This is what will happen in casual golf because there are effectively going to be two systems in operation. Bob wants his 6 and Ed wants his 11.
Ed loves the new system, Bob, not so much.........

View attachment 52344
This is a genuine two shot swing using valid course data.
In casual play, they are free to agree whatever strokes they like, irrespective of any handicap system, but...

Since there are no mandatory allowances for individual strokeplay in casual play, everyone should just use their (rounded) Course Handicap, and not make things more difficult than they need to be.

Last edited: