Changes to WHS in April 2024

Swango1980

Visit site
So if you are roughly 20 yards/metres away then 2, 3 or 4 shots dependent on distance judgement, ball position, difficulty and golfer skill.
Yeah.

It is why I think it is a pretty rubbish concept. But, I guess it must keep people happy?

Fancy a handicap cut, pick the lowest number anytime you are in this position. Want an increase, pick the higher number.

I know a few golfers who, if they were 15-20 yards from the hole and had a chip to green, even the maximum recommendation of 3 shots would be generous to them.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
So the two handicap issue happens in SA. I’m not totally surprised that it also occurs in outside of GB&I as I was informed by an ‘insider’ that the double rounding for casual golf was imposed by the R&A.
I can't be sure. It seems that they don't store the handicap index to 1 decimal place but recalculate on the fly from differentials stored to 4 dp. So room for a difference there (I've come across this before). Then there is the soft cap calculation. What version of the calculated handicap index do they use? After those two uncertainties about what they do, the eventual playing handicap could have been 20.

And they are quite specific in their version of the rules, "To avoid any undue effect of double rounding, handicap allowances should be applied to the unrounded Course Handicap."

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well someone with an HI of 54 would have a Course Handicap of 78 off the Gold tees at Rockliffe Hall.
Exaggeration for effect?

I calculate it as 71 under current rules and less from April 1st.
Either way, I've played Rockcliffe and it's long enough without being stuck behind this player getting 70+ shots 😄.

I've tried reading the last few pages and confusion reigns in my head. I think most of us are best not taking any notice and just follow what the computer says. The detail is messy.

D-S

Visit site
Exaggeration for effect?

I calculate it as 71 under current rules and less from April 1st.
No exaggeration just a mistaken assumption from the Golds that it was par 72 not 77, so CH 71 now, 73 from 1st April, as has been pointed out, so it will be more - still gross 150 to ‘play to handicap’ (as EG phrase it).

Swango1980

Visit site
No exaggeration just a mistaken assumption from the Golds that it was par 72 not 77, so CH 71 now, 73 from 1st April, as has been pointed out, so it will be more - still gross 150 to ‘play to handicap’ (as EG phrase it).
Of course, it is easy to express frustration with the theoretical 54 Indexer who plays off the gold tees at a course such as this.

But, in practice, how many 54 Index golfers will play this course, let alone off the gold tees? I've been a member of a course that is cheap and attracts many beginner golfers. Yet, for all those with handicaps, even the worst has never been near a 54 index. There was one chap in the low 40's at one point, and he really was poor (with various health issues that didn't help). There were a few in the 30's, including a handful of older Seniors.

I think the 54 Index is simply high enough to cater for some of these rare individuals, and the absolute beginner juniors who struggle to reach a green anywhere near regulation. Not only do I think these golfers are extremely rare (the ones with the maximum 54 index), I doubt they'd be attracted to play very long, very tough golf courses.