What will happen to score diff after April?

gridoutblack

Visit site

When Course Rating minus Par comes in I am trying to find out if the score diff for a tee set that is 68.5 on a par 70.​

At the moment, if i shoot a +10 on that set of tee's the score diff comes out at 12. Do the new changes mean that the the score diff will likely be 10.5 now instead of 12?

D-S

Visit site

When Course Rating minus Par comes in I am trying to find out if the score diff for a tee set that is 68.5 on a par 70.​

At the moment, if i shoot a +10 on that set of tee's the score diff comes out at 12. Do the new changes mean that the the score diff will likely be 10.5 now instead of 12?
Would be good to know the slope, but to answer your question the score differential will be the same, the only change will be to your course handicap and therefore your playing handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

The Score Differential is:
(113 / Slope Rating) x (Adjusted gross score - Course Rating - PCC adjustment)

(Course Rating - Par) doesn't come in to it. It only affects your Course Handicap (and Playing Handicap).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the changes started in January?

Up here we use a Slope of 100 to effectively give us 75% of handicap and our CR is 67.6 - par 69 so expect we will lose another shot off our course/playing handicap
Is this slope of 100 the official Scottish Golf parameter or simply one your club use?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The Score Differential is:
(113 / Slope Rating) x (Adjusted gross score - Course Rating - PCC adjustment)

(Course Rating - Par) doesn't come in to it.
It only affects your Course Handicap (and Playing Handicap).
Not quite. On a hole you NR, the score you're given for the score differential will be net double bogey, and that depends on your CH.

If your CH changes after April 1, it will affect the adjusted gross score if you happen to NR a hole where the number shots you get has changed.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not quite. On a hole you NR, the score you're given for the score differential will be net double bogey, and that depends on your CH.

If your CH changes after April 1, it will affect the adjusted gross score if you happen to NR a hole where the number shots you get has changed.
I'd imagine you can assume that impact would be very very insignificant

Firstly, I doubt many of a players top 8 rounds would contain many blobbed holes

Secondly, even if there were blobs in the top 8, they'd need to be specifically on the holes that you no longer get a shot where you previously would (assuming your course handicap is lower than it is now, with CR being lower than Par)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine you can assume that impact would be very very insignificant

Firstly, I doubt many of a players top 8 rounds would contain many blobbed holes

Secondly, even if there were blobs in the top 8, they'd need to be specifically on the holes that you no longer get a shot where you previously would (assuming your course handicap is lower than it is now, with CR being lower than Par)
Yes, for practical purposes it will have next to no effect.
I was merely nit-picking when rulefan said it would have no effect at all.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would I be right in thinking that with the changes, you'd receive fewer strokes than you do currently where the course rating is lower than par and more when it's higher? Or is that an over-simplification - completely wrong?!

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Would I be right in thinking that with the changes, you'd receive fewer strokes than you do currently where the course rating is lower than par and more when it's higher? Or is that an over-simplification - completely wrong?!
You are right, but will be dependent on the effect of the new rules on rounding.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
At the moment HI is 4.3 giving me CH of 5 from yellows and whites.
Next year HI 4.3 will give me CH of 4 from yellows and 6 from whites.
When playing 8th hole, par 4, SI 5, firstly I will have to remember whether I'm in a medal or stableford and which tee I'm playing from.
If it is yellow tee stableford, when chipping onto the green with my fourth shot, I must remember that if I miss the next putt, I can pick up.
If it medal I must hole out. If it from white tee, medal or stableford, I must hole out.

Maybe I should write a shortened form of the above and keep it in my scorecard holder - I'm getting on a bit and sometimes a bit forgetful or confused.

D-S

Visit site
At the moment HI is 4.3 giving me CH of 5 from yellows and whites.
Next year HI 4.3 will give me CH of 4 from yellows and 6 from whites.
When playing 8th hole, par 4, SI 5, firstly I will have to remember whether I'm in a medal or stableford and which tee I'm playing from.
If it is yellow tee stableford, when chipping onto the green with my fourth shot, I must remember that if I miss the next putt, I can pick up.
If it medal I must hole out. If it from white tee, medal or stableford, I must hole out.

Maybe I should write a shortened form of the above and keep it in my scorecard holder - I'm getting on a bit and sometimes a bit forgetful or confused.
Isn’t that the case for this year? I.e. you must hole out in a medal and if you are getting a shot at a hole it is only sensible to hole out for a gross double to get a point.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Isn’t that the case for this year? I.e. you must hole out in a medal and if you are getting a shot at a hole it is only sensible to hole out for a gross double to get a point.
Yes, but most of the time I am/was same handicap from either tee.
Next year I will have to remember the two holes where my handicap is different and act accordingly.
I will make great efforts to imprint it in the old noggin.

Club has changed things so that most of my comps will be medals next year - won't be such an issue for me in those.

D-S

Visit site
Yes, but most of the time I am/was same handicap from either tee.
Next year I will have to remember the two holes where my handicap is different and act accordingly.
I will make great efforts to imprint it in the old noggin.

Club has changed things so that most of my comps will be medals next year - won't be such an issue for me in those.
If there had been a greater slope difference between your two sets of tees or had you been playing off more than two sets of tees regularly (or even played at different courses), you might have needed a bit of paper in your scorecard this year.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
If there had been a greater slope difference between your two sets of tees or had you been playing off more than two sets of tees regularly (or even played at different courses), you might have needed a bit of paper in your scorecard this year.
Playing a different course this year or next year is the same proposition. Take on board the unfamiliar and deal with it.
Playing a different course is more of an isolated occurrence.

Different mindset at my own club where I am very familiar with all the holes, their stroke indexes and the different CR and SR from the two tees.
I play some comps from whites and some comps off yellows, week by week.
It is the 1.7 difference in CR between the two tees (same par) that will bring about a change for us to deal with next year as we switch between tees for different comps.

D-S

Visit site
Playing a different course this year or next year is the same proposition. Take on board the unfamiliar and deal with it.
Playing a different course is more of an isolated occurrence.

Different mindset at my own club where I am very familiar with all the holes, their stroke indexes and the different CR and SR from the two tees.
I play some comps from whites and some comps off yellows, week by week.
It is the 1.7 difference in CR between the two tees (same par) that will bring about a change for us to deal with next year as we switch between tees for different comps.
I’m sure you’ll get used to it over time.