Changes to WHS in April 2024

D-S

Visit site
I’m also interested in what other clubs are intending to display. I think we are favouring no board but having printed sheets of 100%, 95% and 85% ‘ machine precision’ HI to PH taken from the EG Database for each of our 4 tees. Sheets will be displayed in both locker rooms and Pro Shop.

The 100% will also be annotated as Rounded Ch for those who believe using it for casual games is better than using the calculated HI to PH route.
I know of at least clubs local to me who are following this exact route.

Genu9

Visit site
I’m also interested in what other clubs are intending to display. I think we are favouring no board but having printed sheets of 100%, 95% and 85% ‘ machine precision’ HI to PH taken from the EG Database for each of our 4 tees. Sheets will be displayed in both locker rooms and Pro Shop.

The 100% will also be annotated as Rounded Ch for those who believe using it for casual games is better than using the calculated HI to PH route.
Looking at what is being offered by online Sign Suppliers they seems to be 'rounded' CH, which is no use in calculating PH using 'unrounded' CH.

wjemather

Visit site
Looking at what is being offered by online Sign Suppliers they seems to be 'rounded' CH, which is no use in calculating PH using 'unrounded' CH.
That's because nobody should ever be doing that. Ever. The authorities have been absolutely clear on this.

Whenever calculations need to done manually, the rounded CH is to be used.

wjemather

Visit site
That's not the point. Stan, stood in front of the Board scratching his head, thinks his PH is whatever % of what's on the Board when it's not when he plays in a comp. Understand the confusion?
When Stan signed into the competition, he was advised of both his Course Handicap and Playing Handicap for the competition.

Why is he looking at the board?

tobybarker

Visit site
Ah! So everybody who looks at the Boards is playing off a manual PH. Clear as mud.
Like i said earlier, a complete mess. We have lots of situations (eg seniors rollups) where we don't use the computer at all. Players (well, some) can do the 95 percent thing but they now have to find out their unrounded CH? I can also imagine times when, even if the computer IS being used, people will still want or need to work it out themselves, and so would be forced to look up a rounded number on a board just as they leave the first tee......

Swango1980

Visit site
Like i said earlier, a complete mess. We have lots of situations (eg seniors rollups) where we don't use the computer at all. Players (well, some) can do the 95 percent thing but they now have to find out their unrounded CH? I can also imagine times when, even if the computer IS being used, people will still want or need to work it out themselves, and so would be forced to look up a rounded number on a board just as they leave the first tee......
To be honest, even with rounded CH, all the roll ups we organise between ourselves we just resigned ourselves to using CH anyway. We used 95% in the early days, but it was just frustrating getting everyone to get their CH and then work out 95%. Not difficult, just a bit of a hassle.

And then with some of us using MyEG to record scores, it works out your Stableford based in CH anyway. So it was also just easier doing that, and not have to use a physical scorecard at all to document scores based on PH.

So, from my own point of view, I'm hoping these changes make no difference at all for me. But I will await and see next month

Genu9

Visit site
When Stan signed into the competition, he was advised of both his Course Handicap and Playing Handicap for the competition.

Why do you assume everyone who wants to play to the correct handicap is playing in a comp? Comps aren't the panacea for everything.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

There's no signing to a comp where I play. You hand over your fee and pick up a blank card to fill in.

Therefore you know why he's looking at the board.😉
A nice expensive one that now needs replacing.

wjemather

Visit site
Why do you assume everyone who wants to play to the correct handicap is playing in a comp? Comps aren't the panacea for everything.
The "correct handicap" when not playing in a comp involves the rounded Course Handicap - same as it does now.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
There's no signing to a comp where I play. You hand over your fee and pick up a blank card to fill in.

Therefore you know why he's looking at the board.😉
A nice expensive one that now needs replacing.
So the person taking your money is doing the admin of signing-in for you; at which point you can ask them what your PH is for the comp.

wjemather

Visit site
These roll-ups don't have to find out anything. They just apply 95% to the rounded CH as they do now - or better yet, just use the rounded CH without any further calculation.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So the person taking your money is doing the admin of signing-in for you; at which point you can ask them what your PH is for the comp.

Not sure he is. He puts a highlighter pen through your name to confirm you've paid. 😁😁

Now, we could funnel the old boys into the clubhouse to sign on to the terminal to look at their PH. Or get them to look on the app. Good luck with that, we've only just got them usong boards and understanding why they think they've got 3 handicaps 😁😁

In an ideal world you'd be given a card with all the gubbins printed on, like you get at my other club.

Point being that there's a wide variety of "savvy" in play which needs managing.

wjemather

Visit site
Not sure he is. He puts a highlighter pen through your name to confirm you've paid. 😁😁

Now, we could funnel the old boys into the clubhouse to sign on to the terminal to look at their PH. Or get them to look on the app. Good luck with that, we've only just got them usong boards and understanding why they think they've got 3 handicaps 😁😁

In an ideal world you'd be given a card with all the gubbins printed on, like you get at my other club.

Point being that there's a wide variety of "savvy" in play which needs managing.
Maybe your club should start using the technology they have paid thousands for, instead of having it sat there like an expensive decoration?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Ah! So everybody who looks at the Boards is playing off a manual PH. Clear as mud.
This was exactly what happened in Scotland, nobody realised the implications and all the boards used rounded PH at every club. Then folks were totally confused when their PH was less when they entered their scores.