Who wins?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know this has been asked on here before but it’s a subject that drives me crazy.

Who wins -

Team A) professional hits all shots up to and around green, 18 handicapper hits all short game shots and putts

Team B) 18 handicapper hits all shots up to and around green. Professional hits all short game shots and putts

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say A.

Obviously subject to the strengths of the 18 handicapper and the length of the course.

Certainly Mark Broudie's book Every Shot Counts, would confirm that the overwhelming balance of evidence suggests this.

If you think about an amatuer golfer trying to become as good as a Pro at one discipline i.e. driving, hybrids and long irons, mid to short irons, pitching, chipping, bunkers, putting etc.

What discipline do you feel they would have the best chance at beating a professional at?
It is 100% putting.

The chance of an amateur being better at a drive or long iron from the tee is nil. Over 18 tee shots... probably no genuine 18 handicapper is going to play a better shot than a pro, barring a big miss from the pro.
But put 2 guys on the green 25 feet away. 18 times... the pro will win more than he loses, but the am would half most of the time and maybe win the odd one.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree it's A but may be more of a challenge at a place like Augusta when set up for the Masters. Could see some very big scores if a pro missed the green and short sided the amateur.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A Wins by on average 7 shots on a 6500 yard course, and as the course gets longer this increases to 9 shots on a 7500 yard course.

This exact scenario has been studied and modelled.

Even if you don't want to be scientific about it, just consider anecdotally whether you'd rather take on a pro in driving, iron play, chipping or putting. Most people would stand no chance with the driver, and more of a chance with the putter, with the chance increasing as the shot distance decreases.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
A Wins by on average 7 shots on a 6500 yard course, and as the course gets longer this increases to 9 shots on a 7500 yard course.

This exact scenario has been studied and modelled.

Even if you don't want to be scientific about it, just consider anecdotally whether you'd rather take on a pro in driving, iron play, chipping or putting. Most people would stand no chance with the driver, and more of a chance with the putter, with the chance increasing as the shot distance decreases.
Do you know where to find the study? I’d love to read it.

Thanks a lot

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the assumption that you mean that the green is missed every time by either player. (this point is not made clear in the original question)

Judging by a lot of 18 handicappers I play with I would go with by B.

The short game and putting is what makes the big difference between an 18 handicapper and a low single figure/pro the vast majority of the time. You could expect the pro to chip in or up down in two far more times than an 18 handicapper.