Who wins?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you record them?
I. Use the Taylormade my round pro app. I note down all my details on a separate card whilst playing and then add it after. Mine compares me against a scratch golfer but you can do pro,5,10 etc

Unfortunately it’s based on US handicap, and I’d probably be better than scratch in the US but it’s a benchmark

Homer

Visit site
I. Use the Taylormade my round pro app. I note down all my details on a separate card whilst playing and then add it after. Mine compares me against a scratch golfer but you can do pro,5,10 etc

Unfortunately it’s based on US handicap, and I’d probably be better than scratch in the US but it’s a benchmark

Cheers - got it and just added yesterday’s game! Looks good!

D

Deleted member 1147

Unless the amateur in A has the yips (particularly when chipping) really badly B doesn’t stand a chance, and even then I wouldn’t think they could do it

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think A would win the vast majority of the time but wouldn't say every time. Would be interesting to see this happen somewhere and see what the difference in the scores would br

It's been done with 2 club pros, a 16 and a 17 handicapper (US handicaps) over 9 holes at Pelham country club. The equivalent of team A won by a stroke over 9 holes.

However, simulated with tour player data, and over 18 holes team A dominates even more.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about for the sake of a separate argument on Augusta?

Thoughts?

A golfing pro once said to me, "they reckon" that if you put an average scratch golfer's ball on the front edge of each green at Augusta, he would be lucky to still break 100. :eek:

D

Deleted member 1147

Thoughts?

A golfing pro once said to me, "they reckon" that if you put an average scratch golfer's ball on the front edge of each green at Augusta, he would be lucky to still break 100. :eek:
Wasn't it Paul McGinley, who reckoned he could beat a handicapper (can;t remember the handicap), if the amateur's ball was on the front fringe and he played from the back tees?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The easiest way to sort this out is for Golf Monthly to sort this out.
Am sure GM could sort out a couple of pros and 18 handicappers for this.

If GM could sort it out that the 18 hcappers are playing with PXG clubs and are playing at one of trumps courses, I may well fiddle my hcap to enter said comp.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think A would win the vast majority of the time but wouldn't say every time. Would be interesting to see this happen somewhere and see what the difference in the scores would br

Why dont you set this up the channel. Would make great viewing and something that isnt already out there in YouTube world.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Didn't Tappers play Augusta in the Journalists draw the day after the Masters? I seem to remember he was about 8ish over with 3 or 4 to play when he had to leave to catch the flight home. Could be me, not remembering, but if right, then it isnt that silly. They do have members who play there afterall.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Didn't Tappers play Augusta in the Journalists draw the day after the Masters? I seem to remember he was about 8ish over with 3 or 4 to play when he had to leave to catch the flight home. Could be me, not remembering, but if right, then it isnt that silly. They do have members who play there afterall.
I remember similar Chris...(y)

D

Deleted member 1147

I remember something like that.
Paul Hagen perhaps ?

I recall a comment like:
“if you get to within 10ft, you have a great chance of making the putt, because the greens are so good.
But the chance of getting to within 10ft is unlikely “

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Thoughts?

Wasn’t that golfing pro Seve?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wasn't it Paul McGinley, who reckoned he could beat a handicapper (can;t remember the handicap), if the amateur's ball was on the front fringe and he played from the back tees?

Dunno, the fella who said it to me was the Pro at Sandiway.:D

Doing the maths, they would already have 36 putts, as such to play with, so if a par of 72 they would have an extra 28. So in effect 64 putts to end up with 100 shots.

64 divided by 18 is 3.55 putts per green.

3 or 4 putts on every green? Not impossible, but I havent played on Augusta's greens. They are notorious though and is the same stimp as the masters, dont think it would be too far away. I'd say breaking 90 would be good in that situation, put it that way.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why dont you set this up the channel. Would make great viewing and something that isnt already out there in YouTube world.
I'm working on doing something on the channel with Peter O'Malley the Aussie who now plays on the senior tour. One of our former captains is very good friends with him and POM usually plays at Ascot a few times in the summer. I might see if he's up for it