Short game and putting mastery

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The point I was making was there are people who are limited to how far they can hit it by illnesses, lack of flexibility, lack of strength, old age etc, whereas they can still chip and putt very well as that doesn't depend on strength and flexibility.
I think this is very true in terms of getting anywhere close to elite players . However in terms of how these folk spend potential practice time The older weaker less flexible golfer may well benefit hugely in their long game from working on those aspects which can have knock on beneficial effects on their overall health.

Springveldt

Visit site
Can you point me towards the stats that say a long game is more important than a short game..? I'm in 2 minds as to which to practise more. Thanks.
As others have said, Strokes Gained covers this for all levels, not just elite players. If you want to get your handicap down then the long game is more important for most players.
Here are my strokes gained compared to a 15 handicap in ShotScope, I’m not a great putter for a 5 handicap but you can see how many shots I gain tee to green.
Then if you compare me to a scratch player (ignoring the terrible putting) you see that I'm still losing most of my shots from tee to green.

IMG_1942.png20240627_120935000_iOS.png

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As others have said, Strokes Gained covers this for all levels, not just elite players. If you want to get your handicap down then the long game is more important for most players.
Here are my strokes gained compared to a 15 handicap in ShotScope, I’m not a great putter for a 5 handicap but you can see how many shots I gain tee to green.
Then if you compare me to a scratch player (ignoring the terrible putting) you see that I'm still losing most of my shots from tee to green.

View attachment 53997View attachment 53998
Great use of stats to prove your point by telling people to ignore 25% of the stats :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Springveldt

Visit site
Great use of stats to prove your point by telling people to ignore 25% of the stats :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I thought it highlighted the fact that tee to green was even more important as even if I putted really, really well I was still losing shots to a scratch tee to green.

Same with the comparison to a 15, I putt like an average 15 handicap according to Shot Scope but I gain 9 shots tee to green on them but still lose 3 shots to a scratch, so a scratch golfer is likely gaining around 12 tee to green on then. Makes sense tee to green is more important unless you think someone can gain 12 shots putting?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The average 10 handicap hits approximately 6 greens. Seems a crazy low number for someone on the verge of single figures.

Anyway there's a chance to pick up 12 shots if you get a sh1t hot short game.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The average 10 handicap hits approximately 6 greens. Seems a crazy low number for someone on the verge of single figures.

From what distance? Is that GIR’s?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Sounds like they must already have a semi-decent short game, otherwise they'd be higher if they are only hitting six greens in regulation.

Barking_Mad

Visit site

View attachment 53997View attachment 53998
What app is that?

CountLippe

Visit site
I think this is very true in terms of getting anywhere close to elite players . However in terms of how these folk spend potential practice time The older weaker less flexible golfer may well benefit hugely in their long game from working on those aspects which can have knock on beneficial effects on their overall health.

I think there are 2 limbs to this. Importance and capability. Yes, the long game is more important, but no matter how much I practice my long game, it ain't getting much better. If I practice my shortgame it is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there are 2 limbs to this. Importance and capability. Yes, the long game is more important, but no matter how much I practice my long game, it ain't getting much better. If I practice my shortgame it is.
Yes - long game is harder, so if you're good at that you have the bigger advantage. But short game and putting are often seen as the 'low-hanging fruit' to faster improvement of scores.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are lots of reasons why us normal folk can’t and aren’t as good as the world’s elite.

We don’t have their natural ability for a start. Then we don’t have the time to practice they have. Proper equipment, the best coaching, the imagination, the experience or their strength.

If by the elite we are talking about top 50 in the world. There is nobody with a handicap that has any part of their game that comes anywhere close.
Some + guys might have a short game that is somewhere near the bottom end of the professional game, but that’s it.

Some people kid themselves that they are nearly as good. But put them on a course set up for a professional event and they would quickly find out they aren’t.
Spot on.

We played OCN in Orlando the day after the USPGA tour qualifier.
Jeez it was a monster 7600 yds left like the pros set up.
Four of us off single figures don’t think anyone broke 100. ( I never anyway 103😳)
It was 7am soaking wet as they do there in the morning.

After that 6500 yd tees were chosen.😂😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think those people that limit themselves to a couple of clubs are making life harder than it needs to be

Trouble is there is a limit to the number of clubs that can be carried. Personally I would prefer to carry the extra long clubs than extra wedges I do not really need.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tee to green is by far the most important.

There is absolutely no point in being world class at chipping and putting if it’s for double.

The short game is to get you out of trouble, it’s not a strategy for lower scores.
Why would it be for double?

I have had countless chip ins for a birdie.

D

Deleted member 29109

Why would it be for double?

I have had countless chip ins for a birdie.
So have I, eagles too. It was an example. Chipping in for birdie or better is great. It certainly your help your score. But it’s not going to happen often enough to be a legitimate way to lower scores.

But in the context of the discussion of higher handicappers having a great short game. It’s not a magic bullet to lower scores. It might limit the damage, but if you want to consistently shoot lower scores. Tee to green is where the biggest improvements are usually to be found.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Just watching the golf. Miles Russell just missing the cut at Rocket Mortgage PGA event.

7300 yard course
Shot even par (+2 then - 2)
Longest drive of 315 yards.

He's 15. 😂😭

Mandofred

Visit site
I think I've stated this before....but....

Short game is where the saving are. But....my way of thinking is kind of like this.....You and your wife (and kids) go away for the weekend. A couple hundred yards down the road you stupidly plow into a stop sign...big dent in the side of your car. No matter what you do....it's going to piss you off all weekend. Kind of like a crap drive.....just going to ruin your hole right after you pulled it into the trees on the left. It's going to effect your hole right from the beginning.

I don't know how many times I've told myself to stay safe off the tee.....

Last edited: