Practice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Many years ago when I was fit enough to practice regularly I used to hit about 200 balls a day in short game practice and about 40 in long game practice.
We used to have a practice ground and when it became a driving range it coincided some what with my decision to cut back massively on the amount I practiced.

These days my 'practice' is limited to just 20-40 balls on the short game area or 2 balls and just 2 clubs on the 9 hole course.

Our range gets a fair mix of members and visitors with a large increase in the latter since we put Toptracer on every bay.

I would like my club to have a better short game area but it is functional. We now have some covered bays which have made a massive difference over the winter (not least for the pros to give lessons) but the quality of the range balls are still hit and miss. It is good enough for my needs and I have a range five minutes from the club if I want better balls and Toptracer

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like my club to have a better short game area but it is functional. We now have some covered bays which have made a massive difference over the winter (not least for the pros to give lessons) but the quality of the range balls are still hit and miss. It is good enough for my needs and I have a range five minutes from the club if I want better balls and Toptracer

Our short game area is pretty poor really. It was once a three hole course for practicing the short game but they had to stop a large part of it being used because balls from the range kept landing in it.
Before we had the range we also had two practice greens for greenside practice but they both went as part of the changes.

evemccc

Visit site
I am not planning on changing clubs anytime soon, but if I did then decent practice facilities would be high on the list. There’s a club 25 minutes from me which has great short game esp facilities plus a smallish covered range. Not seen the course yet, but it’d be high on the list if I moved, in large part cos of that ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The club I’m a member at has its own driving range. About 20 bays, all covered, with maybe half a dozen having power tees. It’s used by members and general public.

I used to go more often when I was playing a lot, but it’s very infrequent now. I’ll probably use it more when the weather improves.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Exactly! Why spend £10 or so on 100 balls twice a week, for crap balls..

Until 'elf & safety got involved five or six years ago we were allowed to hit our own balls and collect them. That meant I had all my old Pro V's etc so no problems with ball quality. Sadly the club decided despite decades of the unwritten rule of everyone stopping when someone wanted to get their balls (I had mine clearly marked for ease) it was unsafe and we went to range balls which have been very hit and miss in terms of quality

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I didn't practice until recently and my game was poor, I’ve been playing badly for a good while. I’ve had lessons and now practice most days (sometimes as simple as putting on Amat or chipping in ththe garden). I have a pretty varied routine that covers all main parts of the game, including practicing from dodgy lies, ball above/below my feet etc And my game has improved dramatically. I play little games around the green line Par 18 and keep a track of my scores. It sounds like overkill but I was playing so badly and was sick of it. The facilities at my course are decent. We have a range with a large mat to hit off, a chipping and putting area. It’s mainly for member use, and is usually fairly empty so you can work at your game relatively undisturbed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are very fortunate having our own range with four grass teeing grounds, three with four mats each and one covered with two bays. The range is long enough for other than the very longest drivers and is marked out with yardages; and we have free and half decent range balls.

Never used to practice and use the range but as I’m changing my game I use it regularly. Not long at any time, but maybe 3-4 half hour sessions a week to work on the changes and maybe 10mins warm up before I go out for a round. I have to know which part of the clubhead the ball is coming off to know if I am getting it or not. On the range the actual outcome of any shot is less important than where on the club I hit the ball so I use a spray to see the strike…and I can’t do that on the course unless I am by myself.

And it’s working.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Started off at top tracer to get distances of my clubs and tbh that’s where the majority of my money goes as once a week i’ll be up there with the lads and we treat it as a night out.

Christmas and bday this year was a doddle for her so I’ve got a putting matt and golf net which I use at home.

I’ve also just started carrying a golf club with me to work which I’ll take videos of my swing and analyse back during my break.

Literally cannot wait for some good weather to appear within the next month for a round to see how far I’ve come over this winter period.