Tigers back.

D

Deleted member 1147

Given the mess of his driving - could Tiger win another major using his Hoylake 2006 tactics

It'd have to be bone dry. Otherwise courses are just too long to be playing mid-irons off the tee all the way round.

AT just under 7,700'ish yards Torrey Pines is just too long to be hitting less than driver most of the time.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I keep saying it, Tiger has made a decent career of not driving well. So has Mickelson. Yes, of course he needs to drive a bit better. If and when he does, I saw enough there for him to contend.

Also, I saw a fair few of the new players smashing it off into the cabbage too. Finau...Rose...Palmer...Rahm... :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I keep saying it, Tiger has made a decent career of not driving well. So has Mickelson. Yes, of course he needs to drive a bit better. If and when he does, I saw enough there for him to contend.

Also, I saw a fair few of the new players smashing it off into the cabbage too. Finau...Rose...Palmer...Rahm... :D

Indeed. Seve didn't hit too many fairways. Mickleson can put it in a different time zone and make par. Woods got it round, didn't come last and will have a very good idea of what he needs to fix (if he didn't before). It'll take time. I still can't see him ever winning a major again but if he keeps fit, finds a way to keep it on the short grass and gets all facets working together, it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think overall it was a succeful comeback.

during all his other returns his short game has been hoffiic. Considering how he drove the ball, to finish with the score he did hitting so few fairways was brilliant imo.

At the Hero he drove well enough, maybe he’ll have a nice silver and Black m2 back in the bag soon enough......

if he carries on like he is then he may struggle to win, but if he has four days where he finds something with the driver then I think it would be foolish to write him off just yet.

I think his back is still the bigger threat to his game right now. A bad week of driving can be worked on.

D

Deleted member 1147

... Mickleson can put it in a different time zone and make par...

I actually think Woods has always been better than Phil at saving par because he’s such a good putter in comparison and maybe even better at chipping and pitching

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think overall it was a succeful comeback.

during all his other returns his short game has been hoffiic. Considering how he drove the ball, to finish with the score he did hitting so few fairways was brilliant imo.

At the Hero he drove well enough, maybe he’ll have a nice silver and Black m2 back in the bag soon enough......

if he carries on like he is then he may struggle to win, but if he has four days where he finds something with the driver then I think it would be foolish to write him off just yet.

I think his back is still the bigger threat to his game right now. A bad week of driving can be worked on.

Fair assumption. I think he knows he has issues with the driver but it's very early days. If his short game is on he'll scramble it round. If not, and he misses as many fairways as this week, then the missed cuts will rack up, talk will no doubt start in the media regarding injuries and retirement and the cycle starts again!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Fair assumption. I think he knows he has issues with the driver but it's very early days. If his short game is on he'll scramble it round. If not, and he misses as many fairways as this week, then the missed cuts will rack up, talk will no doubt start in the media regarding injuries and retirement and the cycle starts again!

Pas things stand I don’t see any talk of retirement. His previous come backs have been fraught with twinges. He’s looked healthy to me.

i think so far, 2 tournaments in he’s has one with good driving and poor chipping. The other poor driving and good short game. Imo his record suggests that he’s at least as likely to sort it and have more good days with both than not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pas things stand I don’t see any talk of retirement. His previous come backs have been fraught with twinges. He’s looked healthy to me.

i think so far, 2 tournaments in he’s has one with good driving and poor chipping. The other poor driving and good short game. Imo his record suggests that he’s at least as likely to sort it and have more good days with both than not.

I happen to agree. I'm just putting it out there that there will be weeks when driving and short game are both off and cuts are missed. I just think from there the media will look for a story (is he really 100% fit, can he really compete etc). I'm sure if he's fit and enters the Masters, and at the moment that seems highly likely then expect the media frenzy to peak again. It would be nice (but won't happen) if having come back now and done a full tournament and ground out a score to make the cut and had a reasonable weekend, he could get on and go about his business without every swing being analysed in minute detail.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Great to see TX back in action and healthy. I think his comeback was excellent, with accuracy always likely to be an issue on a course where you have to give it full beans off the tee. I take he misses Pebble Beach and I know he's confirmed for Riviera as is Tommy Fleetwood.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
The question is if he does win another major would he retire the next day? Go out on top and all that.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The question is if he does win another major would he retire the next day? Go out on top and all that.

Can't personally see that ever happening, if he wins one then 3 (ideally 4) to go. For a man who was focused on matching Jack, why would he stop when he's just got a step closer.