Busted. A Cheat Caught

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
…in your opinion

Why haven’t other sports taken up something akin to a handicap system at amateur level — tennis, badminton, squash, football, rugby, whatever you want to name, golf is alone in this..

Would you not play golf, and would the appeal of golf not be there for you, without handicapped golf comps?!

I literally wouldn’t care if all comps were based on gross scoring. I play in as many comps as I can, gross and handicapped, but the appeal of golf for me has nothing to do with attempting to ‘win’ a nett comp
I'm with Arthur on this one. You take away handicaps and there would be no reason at all for 95% of golfers to enter their weekly competition, since they'd have no chance of winning. Competition play is a big part of club membership, so membership numbers would undoubtedly drop and clubs lose money as a result.

Can you really have handicaps in something like tennis which is one v one rather than each person against the course? As AW says, leagues and divisions are the way they achieve it I would think.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm with Arthur on this one. You take away handicaps and there would be no reason at all for 95% of golfers to enter their weekly competition, since they'd have no chance of winning. Competition play is a big part of club membership, so membership numbers would undoubtedly drop and clubs lose money as a result.

Can you really have handicaps in something like tennis which is one v one rather than each person against the course? As AW says, leagues and divisions are the way they achieve it I would think.
Handicaps in sports where you share a ball or balls don’t work imo.

It works in golf because nobody can touch your ball except you.

In snooker if your op snookers you with a great shot or safety shot there’s not much you can do.
I play my mate now and again but am there to just make the numbers up.
He had a break of 87 last week I have never shot that in a whole frame.😂😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Handicaps in sports where you share a ball or balls don’t work imo.

It works in golf because nobody can touch your ball except you.

In snooker if your op snookers you with a great shot or safety shot there’s not much you can do.
I play my mate now and again but am there to just make the numbers up.
He had a break of 87 last week I have never shot that in a whole frame.😂😂
In theory you can have x black start so it can be handicapped

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the real strength of handicapping in golf is in match play.
It allows people of different abilities a really competitive game together and the problem of the greater variance amongst high handicappers does not lead to them winning as often

D-S

Visit site
As alluded to earlier, the 0.1 limit increase under the UHS caused many players to appear to have vanity handicaps. This wasn't helped by some clubs not even bothering with an annual review and some players refusing increases 'whilst they got their game together'.
How can you refuse an increase? Did they appeal to the County? That’s the only way I know of overturning such a decision.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
…in your opinion

Why haven’t other sports taken up something akin to a handicap system at amateur level — tennis, badminton, squash, football, rugby, whatever you want to name, golf is alone in this..

Would you not play golf, and would the appeal of golf not be there for you, without handicapped golf comps?!

I literally wouldn’t care if all comps were based on gross scoring. I play in as many comps as I can, gross and handicapped, but the appeal of golf for me has nothing to do with attempting to ‘win’ a nett comp
The team sports you mention do have a form of handicapping i.e. leagues/divisions.

The other sports have very little in the way of competition at club level and where they do hardly any money changes hands. Golf is the second most popular competitive sport, after Football, in the UK for a reason

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
what is iPlay ?

scratch that...i've found it. Didnt realise it was an EG thing and I am utterly astonished that EG themselves provide a facility whereby a player who is not a member of any club can give himself a degree of legitimacy by signing up for the service and can attest to others scores.....now that is madness.
What!? You have got to be joking surely.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed you don't. Took me about 45 seconds to create an iPlay account using a false ID.. Now I can self attest all those evening rounds that I play on my own and the authorities have given me the tools to do so.

I support a lot about the WHS but do agree there are things that can be tweaked...but this sort of "enablement opportunity" is just staggering.
Wow...just.....wow

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can you refuse an increase? Did they appeal to the County? That’s the only way I know of overturning such a decision.
This was obviously pre-WHS. The old process often involved discussing proposed changes with the member involved but there was no requirement to inform the County one way or another