Busted. A Cheat Caught

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The club Captain !
Yes. Mind you he and I have had a rule run in in his tenure when he allowed a PP an illegal drop in a comp. When challenged he simply said "did he, well it doesn't matter he wasn't going to win". Er no. You are responsible for the actions of yourself and PP's and if someone makes a mistake educate them as to why. He admitted he didn't fully know the options for an unplayable lie in a bush. Makes you wonder what he's allowed to happen especially in matches with other club captains because "they aren't going to win". Setting a poor example but there again in my opinion he has been one of the poorest captains we've had in the last 15 years

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently the chap in question sent a grovelling message on the whatsapp group of a midweek roll up he was involved in and the captain replied with a (y)so it smacks of him getting off lightly with them. Whether that increases the pressure on other groups to accept this and let him back remains to be seen. Consensus from the weekend groups is he will continue to be given short shrift and he has conned his "mates" out of cash

Did none of his mates spot his scores on the app and ask him why he's constantly putting GP scores in at an away club. And bad ones at that?

I have 16 people on my golf ireland app as friends. If one of them was doing what he did I'd be asking them what's going on. Especially if they were collecting cash off me on a regular basis in the weekend roll ups?
Also was he not getting cut when he was winning these roll ups?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did none of his mates spot his scores on the app and ask him why he's constantly putting GP scores in at an away club. And bad ones at that?

I have 16 people on my golf ireland app as friends. If one of them was doing what he did I'd be asking them what's going on. Especially if they were collecting cash off me on a regular basis in the weekend roll ups?
Also was he not getting cut when he was winning these roll ups?
Clearly not

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This could be an example of a disadvantage of drawn comps. Players can slip between the cracks unnoticed.
We only have drawn comps for like 3 comps a year.
We just play with the same group of fellas all the time.
You couldn't pull this stunt without someone noticing.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
A system that facilitates handicaps going up at all, without good reason, is at the heart of the issue. I realise that we are talking about one chap behaving badly but this situation is made possible by WHS and many are behaving reasonably and getting the same results.

I am involved in a group of about 20 golfers, between handicap 2 and 12 before WHS, and some have gone up by 6 shots since WHS. Some have remained the same and none have gone down. I'd say none of them have gotten any worse at golf. The ones that have gone up the most are just a little more rubbish when they're not on their game. When the less rubbish guys look at the situation they feel as though they are being penalised for not being rubbish enough when playing badly.

The long-term effect is that they'll eventually realise they should let their bad stuff be rubbish.

WHS needs a fix to stop this.
Clearly some of your group were either maintaining vanity caps or simply aren’t as good as they/you think they are. If no one has gone down are they all “managing” their handicaps?

People need to stop comparing their handicap from prior to WHS to their WHS HI. It’s a different system.

Some of you must be very stressed when playing golf obsessing over everyone’s handicap. It can’t be good for your health.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
E
Clearly some of your group were either maintaining vanity caps or simply aren’t as good as they/you think they are. If no one has gone down are they all “managing” their handicaps?

People need to stop comparing their handicap from prior to WHS to their WHS HI. It’s a different system.

Some of you must be very stressed when playing golf obsessing over everyone’s handicap. It can’t be good for your health.
Some very interesting (and erroneous deductions). Why would we be maintaining vanity handicaps when we have to put a GP card in for the roll up to be eligible to win the pot (no card = no cash) and most of us are playing every weekend (and many play the midweek ones) competitions. Personally I have gone down from 14 to 11 thanks to a swing change and hard work. Is that a vanity handicap?
No-one is that stressed over handicaps but when it comes out that someone you thought of as a golfing mate is blatantly cheating of course it is going to cause a stir. Thank you for you concern into my mental well-being but I have a good support network and am well signposted should I need help (y)

Golfloveruk

Visit site
E

Some very interesting (and erroneous deductions). Why would we be maintaining vanity handicaps when we have to put a GP card in for the roll up to be eligible to win the pot (no card = no cash) and most of us are playing every weekend (and many play the midweek ones) competitions. Personally I have gone down from 14 to 11 thanks to a swing change and hard work. Is that a vanity handicap?
No-one is that stressed over handicaps but when it comes out that someone you thought of as a golfing mate is blatantly cheating of course it is going to cause a stir. Thank you for you concern into my mental well-being but I have a good support network and am well signposted should I need help (y)
Clearly this wasn’t aimed at you if you look at the post I quoted.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I agree with this. Some people went up as soon as the system changed, instantly. No cards were submitted, just a result of the calculations changing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As alluded to earlier, the 0.1 limit increase under the UHS caused many players to appear to have vanity handicaps. This wasn't helped by some clubs not even bothering with an annual review and some players refusing increases 'whilst they got their game together'.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am curious to see the handicap record (I know we wont) To see the sheer volume of non-rounds at away course sending index up, against the roll-up scores at home course bringing it back down again, all to achieve a 3.x increase

It must’ve been quite some undertaking