Busted. A Cheat Caught

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe if every time you put a score in that was above your H/C, your H/C only increased by 0.1, like the old system. That would, at least, slow down H/C increases.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That of course penalizes the player who is getting older and can't hit as far.
Not if people continue to put more GP cards in as they do now. Wasn't there a thing that you'd go up a whole shot after a certain number of poor rounds - and committees can put you up in the review as well. It really wasn't that much of a hardship for your handicap to creep up slowly. Rather than getting two shots back after one bad month.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not if people continue to put more GP cards in as they do now. Wasn't there a thing that you'd go up a whole shot after a certain number of poor rounds - and committees can put you up in the review as well. It really wasn't that much of a hardship for your handicap to creep up slowly. Rather than getting two shots back after one bad month.
But if you put in too many GP cards you can't enter competitions as a lot of clubs want to see a certain amount of cards from competitions to enter.
And people get a bit twitchy when too many GP cards are entered as this can lead to handicap manipultion.

Can't win either way

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I lived in England in the 80's till early 2000's I don't know anyone who put in GP cards, what has changed ?
The WHS arrived and an EG app was created to allow GP to be put in

Before that people could put supplementary cards
It was a faff before. You had to go into the club, find someone, advise you were going to put a card in, fill the card, wait 3 days or more to maybe have it processed, maybe it wouldn't be. Now, it's a doddle, much easier with the EG app.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But if you put in too many GP cards you can't enter competitions as a lot of clubs want to see a certain amount of cards from competitions to enter.
And people get a bit twitchy when too many GP cards are entered as this can lead to handicap manipultion.

Can't win either way
They're not supposed to have that as a rule though, since entirely at odds with the WHS that wants you put your card in every time. My club just says you need to have 4 competition cards in the last 12 months (not having to be in your last 20 rounds).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I lived in England in the 80's till early 2000's I don't know anyone who put in GP cards, what has changed ?

I only played occasional social golf at that time but i do remember turning up at more than one course to find empty carpark, clubhouse in darkness and no GK staff around & no starter, just hoping someone had been out to put flags in

Can't imagine that environment easily accommodated a supplementary card for their members

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They're not supposed to have that as a rule though, since entirely at odds with the WHS that wants you put your card in every time. My club just says you need to have 4 competition cards in the last 12 months (not having to be in your last 20 rounds).
We have 6 cards for most comps and 8 for majors and board events. With the amount of events over the year both at weekends and weekdays it really shouldn't be too hard to meet that criteria. I put a card in (GP) anyway

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have 6 cards for most comps and 8 for majors and board events. With the amount of events over the year both at weekends and weekdays it really shouldn't be too hard to meet that criteria. I put a card in (GP) anyway
Harder than you think. I personally have just 7 competition cards for the last 12 months - and two of them were the same comp (Club Champs). I play once a weekend but there's not always a comp, and if there is I can't always play on the day the comp is on. And I have played other comps such as scrambles, pairs and other team events that don't count towards it.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
Harder than you think. I personally have just 7 competition cards for the last 12 months - and two of them were the same comp (Club Champs). I play once a weekend but there's not always a comp, and if there is I can't always play on the day the comp is on. And I have played other comps such as scrambles, pairs and other team events that don't count towards it.
People seem to forget that their experiences aren’t the same for everyone.

We have a stableford most weekends on both days. Sometimes the Sunday one will have as many as 5 or 6 entries. There is no way I’m donating £3 to that just to get comp score on my record.

Thankfully I’m at a club that doesn’t appear to have a problem with widespread handicap fudging like some have. Or just a load of players with vanity caps who now realise they can’t compete!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maybe. Perhaps I am more lucky than I think then as I can usually play both weekend days and some midweeks