Tigers back.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same story really yesterday. Missing fairways with the driver, when he hits fairway he makes birdies. His short game, and in particular his putting yesterday was world class. He's putting about as well as anyone in the field, so solid from inside 6ft. He's rusty though, he's bound to be. Hopefully he can bring it back to around E/-1 today and make it to the weekend. Didn't play poorly though, out-scored DJ, only 1 back of Rory and Spieth, he's not far away. I'm just enjoying seeing him playing fairly regularly.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see how being "Tournament Rusty" can cost you shots on and around the green but I don't buy being rusty from the tee.
He will have spent hours on the range getting the swing working - because that's where he's putting most strain on his back.
He would had to find out of the back could take the pressure so he must have hit shoot of shots.
If he's still as bad at driving as he seems to be then he needs to sort that if he's going to compete.
I get the feeling he's trying to keep up with the bombers and his swing is getting out of sync.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only saw a little bit last night. Tiger launched himself at one drive, he nearly fell over on the tee, the ball went miles off line. Rory was next up, annihilated the ball but stayed solid during the shot. If Tiger can't control himself on the tee than no wonder his back is jiggered and no wonder the ball is going all over. People have been saying it for years now, he needs to drive within himself if he wants to compete.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Indeed. This is where stats are useless. Miss a fairway by a foot, its a missed fairway, put it in another post code, its a missed fairway.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tiger's driving accuracy %age yesterday was better than Rory's....

From what I saw Tiger's driving was pretty decent yesterday.... the one massive miss was while I was still at work!

He's still some way off, clearly, but if he's really able to play and practice freely again he may well get back challenging.

One thing for sure - I was keen to get home last night to watch Tiger and Rory on the back nine and I quickly lost interest in the golf after they finished.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Same story really yesterday. Missing fairways with the driver, when he hits fairway he makes birdies. His short game, and in particular his putting yesterday was world class. He's putting about as well as anyone in the field, so solid from inside 6ft. He's rusty though, he's bound to be. Hopefully he can bring it back to around E/-1 today and make it to the weekend. Didn't play poorly though, out-scored DJ, only 1 back of Rory and Spieth, he's not far away. I'm just enjoying seeing him playing fairly regularly.

That is why he's won so many major titles. Tiger was (possibly still is) deadly on greens you used to get better odds on him missing from 15 feet than holing in final rounds of majors. He was simply outstanding and focused. That is why Tiger is the best golfer the planet has seen to date.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Enough Tiger bashing. His driving yesterday wasn't terrible, it was actually the iron play which was not spot on.
And without the lost ball on 11 (the rumour is that a spectator pocketed Tiger's ball) he would be -1.
He looks to me like he can compete.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Enough Tiger bashing. His driving yesterday wasn't terrible, it was actually the iron play which was not spot on.
And without the lost ball on 11 (the rumour is that a spectator pocketed Tiger's ball) he would be -1.
He looks to me like he can compete.

Compete with who? He's not far off missing the cut, that's not competing it's taking part. He needs to compete with whoever is at the top of the leader board and not any specific names. I mean if he competed with Rory last season he would have won the same.....nothing.

I don't like Tiger but he is certainly a draw to watch on TV and outside of DJ, Rory and Bubba most aren't that interesting to watch.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's not going to be competing at the top of leaderboards every week, no-one does that. The positive sign is he isn't collapsing and playing horribly like he has in previous comebacks and more importantly - he looks healthy. After yesterday he's sat ahead of DJ, and only 1 behind Rory and Spieth, he's competing. If it wasn't for the stolen ball as mentioned above he'd only be 4 back of the leaders. He's definitely competitive.

D

Deleted member 1418

Every missed cut has a silver lining.
He didn't lose a ball and he kept a 7 off his card
Got to look at the positives

;)

And it helps his back by not having to pack clothes and shoes for the weekend so his luggage is lighter 👍 😉😀

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think he'll struggle at any course that's relatively tight until he can get the driver working. To my eyes, while he's getting out there a decent distance he's doing it at full tilt (hence losing a few) while most of the others seem to be hitting as far without chucking everything at it. It's still early in the return so hopefully he'll get back to something reminiscent of the old Woods. That said I wonder how many missed cuts it'll take for him to consider his future. I'm sure he doesn't intend to be on tour as a bit player and not playing every weekend