Sports Personality of the Year 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I haven't watched it and don't give a monkeys about it, it was a bit of sarcasm relating to another thread!

However, I do agree with you, I'd love to share a puck with a couple of the Hockey team 😳😜👍

They'd eat thee for breakfast and spit out the bones :) :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm guessing many golfers didn't bother due to Rory's lack of support a while back and the fact that Murray would have had to be exposed as a Neo-Nazi to not win by a landslide.
I wonder how many other years have been such an overwhelming victory

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm guessing many golfers didn't bother due to Rory's lack of support a while back and the fact that Murray would have had to be exposed as a Neo-Nazi to not win by a landslide.
I wonder how many other years have been such an overwhelming victory

Probably down to the fact golf does not resonate with the British public any more and it is not a great televisual spectacle. Put the Ryder cup on terrestrial TV and it may get better. But if not then bottom of the pile is as good as it will get for the foreseeable future.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably down to the fact golf does not resonate with the British public any more and it is not a great televisual spectacle. Put the Ryder cup on terrestrial TV and it may get better. But if not then bottom of the pile is as good as it will get for the foreseeable future.
I am not so sure. Tennis gets terrestrial coverage for one (admittedly big) tournament a year. In fact I think it would be a fair question to ask if the BBC is the right broadcaster to be hosting this event these days since they have all but abandoned sport in comparison to the old days.
I think we all know that golf isn't the most popular spectator sport (and that's what counts here) but it is a popular participation sport, particularly with sports men and women who have retired from other sports. In terms of winning SPOTY I don't think golf would in with much of a chance no matter if it was on terrestrial or not and TBH I am not sure if anyone is too bothered.
The event does need a name change though. Giving the Sports Personality of the Year to the sportsman with the least personality is a bit daft. It's about the winners achievement in his sport and nothing to do with his personality. Sportsperson of the Year would be a better title.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am not so sure. Tennis gets terrestrial coverage for one (admittedly big) tournament a year. In fact I think it would be a fair question to ask if the BBC is the right broadcaster to be hosting this event these days since they have all but abandoned sport in comparison to the old days.
I think we all know that golf isn't the most popular spectator sport (and that's what counts here) but it is a popular participation sport, particularly with sports men and women who have retired from other sports. In terms of winning SPOTY I don't think golf would in with much of a chance no matter if it was on terrestrial or not and TBH I am not sure if anyone is too bothered.
The event does need a name change though. Giving the Sports Personality of the Year to the sportsman with the least personality is a bit daft. It's about the winners achievement in his sport and nothing to do with his personality. Sportsperson of the Year would be a better title.

I think a few things are a bit unfair to the BBC

They haven't abandoned sport - they were put under financial restraints by the government and struggle to compete with Sky and BT for the rights - there is still a good amount of sport on the BBC and it's still worth watching.

As for is it right they should be hosting SPOTY ?! It's their show and their award - no other broadcaster can be bothered to do one and you can see last night that it still means something to the countries sports stars - many people may dismiss it as meaningless now but the sports men and women clearly don't

And the name - well everyone knows it's the best or best performing sports star throughout the year - far too many focus on the name. But it's also very unfair and wrong to suggest Murray has the least personality.

It's a very good harmless awards ceremony that it appears isn't losing it's appeal with the public or the sports stars - maybe just a few golfers grumbling because a golfer hasn't won for a while

Hacker Khan

Visit site
They've abandoned main stream sport though. Apart from Wimbledon, and athletics what do they show that has mass appeal apart to niche fans. Simply put, they neither have the inclination or money

The Olympics is pretty main stream. They got many times more viewers for a lot of Olympic events then Sky ever get for their football. And apart from football what is main stream sport nowadays? And I would argue that it is purely down to money, they just can not afford to compete with private companies with many dedicated sports channels backed with huge amounts of money.

I know people bang on about who their golf coverage was out of date and indeed it was to a certain extent. But once you strip away all the previews and 5 hours of build up and after round talk that Sky do (very well) as they have 24 hours to fill on 5 dedicated sports channels, then the actual coverage of the golfers hitting the ball is not that different between Sky and the BBC.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Olympics is pretty main stream.

I know people bang on about who their golf coverage was out of date and indeed it was to a certain extent. But once you strip away all the previews and 5 hours of build up and after round talk that Sky do (very well) as they have 24 hours to fill on 5 dedicated sports channels, then the actual coverage of the golfers hitting the ball is not that different between Sky and the BBC.
Which is fine if you like your sport once every 4 years.
Sky's coverage of the Open really showed how dated the BBC's had become and let's not forget, any coverage is better than none and the BBC abandoned the Open completely and indeed a year earlier than they had to.
Considering this it's hardly surprising that golf never figures in SPOTY

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a few things are a bit unfair to the BBC

They haven't abandoned sport - they were put under financial restraints by the government and struggle to compete with Sky and BT for the rights - there is still a good amount of sport on the BBC and it's still worth watching.

As for is it right they should be hosting SPOTY ?! It's their show and their award - no other broadcaster can be bothered to do one and you can see last night that it still means something to the countries sports stars - many people may dismiss it as meaningless now but the sports men and women clearly don't

And the name - well everyone knows it's the best or best performing sports star throughout the year - far too many focus on the name. But it's also very unfair and wrong to suggest Murray has the least personality.

It's a very good harmless awards ceremony that it appears isn't losing it's appeal with the public or the sports stars - maybe just a few golfers grumbling because a golfer hasn't won for a while
I am aware that there are many reasons why the BBC don't show as much sport but the end result for the public is less sport from the public service broadcaster.
If the BBC wants to show SPOTY then fair enough. I guess it's one show no-one else can outbid them for the rights - though after Bake Off we can't be too sure.
Clearly the sportsmen and women see it as meaningful as do the public. Just a shame the one guy that counts didn't quite see it the same way. And BTW it's perfectly fair to suggest Murray has the least personality.
Maybe a lot of people focus on the name because the name is wrong.
I agree. It's actually a good show. My post was actually saying that golf had little chance of winning and we shouldn't be too fussed. It's not like it's a major or the Ryder Cup.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love the way that certain types of folk cling on to the 'no personality' thing.
Did any of them watch the Davis Cup matches ?

Funny how the 'personality' thing never raised it's head when Steve Davis, Nigel Mansel and Lewis Hamilton won.:eek:

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I love the way that certain types of folk cling on to the 'no personality' thing.

Funny how the 'personality' thing never raised it's head when Steve Davis, Nigel Mansel and Lewis Hamilton won.:eek:

The thing is is that it's been done to death and is such a dull and predictable and point to make by people wanting to have a go at it. When the original event was created in the 50s a 'sports personality' was someone who was famous because they were very good at their sport. It has never been intended to mean a sportsperson who is a witty raconteur. The word personality in the title is not describing a character trait that any winner is supposed to have but the fact that basically they are good at what they do and have achieved fame by doing that.

And although it is not relevant, actually Steve Davis has a great personality. There was a great documentary on BBC4 about his DJ career. I'd much rather have a pint with him then many modern sport people. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I am aware that there are many reasons why the BBC don't show as much sport but the end result for the public is less sport from the public service broadcaster.
If the BBC wants to show SPOTY then fair enough. I guess it's one show no-one else can outbid them for the rights - though after Bake Off we can't be too sure.
Clearly the sportsmen and women see it as meaningful as do the public. Just a shame the one guy that counts didn't quite see it the same way. And BTW it's perfectly fair to suggest Murray has the least personality.
Maybe a lot of people focus on the name because the name is wrong.
I agree. It's actually a good show. My post was actually saying that golf had little chance of winning and we shouldn't be too fussed. It's not like it's a major or the Ryder Cup.

Murray wasn't there not because he couldn't be bothered but because he is on pre season training to get ready for the first slam which starts next month

I'm sure the BBC would love to show more sport - they just have their hands tied

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
The thing is is that it's been done to death and is such a dull and predictable and point to make by people wanting to have a go at it. When the original event was created in the 50s a 'sports personality' was someone who was famous because they were very good at their sport. It has never been intended to mean a sportsperson who is a witty raconteur. The word personality in the title is not describing a character trait that any winner is supposed to have but the fact that basically they are good at what they do and have achieved fame by doing that.

And although it is not relevant, actually Steve Davis has a great personality. There was a great documentary on BBC4 about his DJ career. I'd much rather have a pint with him then many modern sport people. ;)

Agree. The same argument comes up every year. They're all sporting 'personalities' in the same way as the cast of Corrie are TV personalities. Some people take the word too literally. Agree about Steve Davis as well, really witty.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Steve Davis snooker may have been dull, but he clearly can have a laugh at himself.
mansel I can't remember to well, know who he is of course but didn't watch too much f1 as a kid.
hamilton is a tool.

Murray, when he came on the scene was dull as dish water. Nit sure if it was because of the pressure to succeed, BUT, Having seen him of league of their own, he seems to have really come out of his show and certainly has a personality.

I think the issue really is the title. Originally as has been mentioned, a sports personality was just a sports person. If we judge it simply as the best British sportmperson then Murray will always be up there due to his talent and success. Unfortunately as it's attatched to the BBC, others will also be overlooked as they don't get shown on the BBC anymore.

U

User62651

Re Steve Davis, agree he is a personable funny guy, entertaining NOW. Back in the 80s however when he was winning 6 world titles we didn't see any of that, he was a robot like unemotional machine, bit aloof and people didn't care for him. Top sportspeople have personalities but when they're competing we dont always see it until they retire and the guard comes down.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If it's such a dull and predictable point to make and if it comes up every year that may provide a clue that the title is wrong.
When people accuse golf of being stuck in its ways you are the first to say that the world has moved on, get in the 21st century etc. So, if the title was relevant in the 1950's but hasn't been relevant for decades isn't it time to do something? As you say,the world has moved on.
Some make a very good point about Mansell, Davis, Hamilton. All sportsmen of the highest calibre but not the greatest of personalities. Says a lot about the shows title. And I am sorry. Murray is a great sportsman but he is as dull as dishwater.