Justin Rose / Sports Personality of the Year

theoneshow

Visit site
Hi,

The One Show on BBC1 has been looking for fans of all the Sports Personality nominees to come on the show and give viewers a 30 second pitch for their chosen sportsman. We were wondering whether anyone on this forum would want to get behind Justin Rose, and tell us why we should all vote for him! If anyone's up for it, please private message us and we'll get straight back to you...

Thanks!

The One Show team

B

birdieman

Lewis Hamilton bottled it big-style in the last 2 races then tried to win it by default by saying Raikonnen had chilled his fuel or something...I'm not sure about this lad.
If ricky Hatton wins on Saturday he should win....for actually winning something!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope not Justin, regarding a golfer, what about Darren Clarke though, with his last year or two and managing to keep it together and getting back into the game and have a little success while he was at it. I tip my trilby.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in Ricky Hattons corner (boom-boom) on this one lads. He has the fight and determintion missing in so many of our sports men and women. If it isn't him it has to be

*************** JAMES MCFADDEN *******************

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Hamilton bottled it big-time. He is over-hyped, overrated and is driving a car that any other driver on the grid could win in. Lets not forget that key fact. He also had rules bent for him at Nurburgring this season but people conveniently forget that. He does not deserve the gong, not by a long way. I get so pi$$ed off by all the hype surrounding him, they even cheated on top-gear for him by sweeping the track, giving him a whole day to practice and even marking (with paint) braking points, apexes and turning-in points on the track.

Joe Calzaghe deserve it more than anybody else. Look at the mans record. I am a big boxing fan and along with Hatton and Enzo Macarinelli we have 3 fighters who are amongst the very few elite in the world.

I cannot see why Rose would be a contender to be perfectly honest. Stranger things have happened though, look at last year, I wouldn't have wanted Her Majesty the Queens phone bill for that quarter!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The SPOTY award is totally misnamed anyway since it has little or nothing to do with personality and everything to do with whether you've won anything or not! They should change it to be an award for sporting achievement or something...at least then it wouldn't look so bad when some charmless eejit who happens to have won something wins it.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Justin...golf doesn't have a great record in this award. The last golfer to win was Faldo in 1989 and before that it was Dai Rees in 1957!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Calzaghe for me, although if Hatton wins on Saturday then it would be close.

If a golfer does get nominated they will probably go for Harrington - the majors get way more publicity than the OOM.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oohh, the one show...I watch this sometimes!!

I would vote for Justin (on a phone poll or whatever) but I'm not so sure of the "personality" tag. I think I'd struggle to talk persuasively about him for even 30 seconds. "He's a good golfer and seems a nice bloke".....there, about 2.7 seconds!!!

????

Dave

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I personally dont think lewis hamilton should win because of all the Mclaren spying row going on, regardless if he was involved or not all information gathered would of helped. Also he didnt win the Season. Where as the likes of Justin, who has struggled with back trouble, has turned up with the goods. with F1 drivers they have unfair advantages with cars etc. In golf its you and your clubs so personal skill is paramount to get results so i think maybe justin, poddy, or one of the boxers should possibly have the honour.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
The nominations have already been made, lads, and no, Harrington is not British so cannot be eligible.

It'll be Hamilton. Racing drivers always win over golfers and boxers. For goodness sake, Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill have won it and they have the combined personality of a bag of potatoes.

B

birdieman

regarding a golfer, what about Darren Clarke though, with his last year or two and managing to keep it together and getting back into the game and have a little success while he was at it.
Brendy, are you serious? DC was up last year and was second I think behind Zara Phillips. I appreciate he showed remarkable courage to even play in the Ryder Cup last year, then play really well, but this year he hasn't done anything on the golf course, unsurprisingly in the circumstances, so I don't see how he could be considered for the SPOTY. I wish him future happiness and hope we can see him back in contention on the golf course soon of course.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is my point though, its personality, not winner, if that was the case it would be a biannular prize or even longer depending on whether we can win anything at all in international sports competitions.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
one thing for Hamilton, it was McClaren that tried the 'chilled fuel' thing. Hamilton at least said that he wanted to win on the track, which could have been a dig at Ferrari.
Rose, no I don't see it, he hasn't done enough.
Calzaghe or Hatton - but when was the last time a boxer won it?
I think they're going to be scraping in all categories this year - it hasn't been marvellous has it!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How about the following winners:
Overseas winner Harrington
Team of the season-Scotland World Cup winning Golf Team
SPOTY Hamilton will win

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Who really cares?

Anything voted for by the general public is bound to be wrong - look at every government we've had for the past 40 years. You leave it to the public and you get the amazing Zara.