Smartwatch App

Keniff

Visit site
Hi All,

First thread on here so here goes. I'm looking for recommendations/thoughts for golf apps for use with a smartwatch. I have recently purchased the Galaxy Active 2 Golf Edition which comes with Smart Caddie pre-installed. However, I'm not totally sure about the watch or the app. On the watch front I didn't realise that it's using the 'older' Tizen OS rather than the latest Wear OS, which is on the Galaxy Watch 4, which we have also purchased for my Wife. Definitely notice that the health tracking features are not as extensive on the Active 2. I had a Garmin VivoSmart HR+ before this watch and I know I have a slow heart rate. The Garmin never recorded it at less than 38BPM but the Galaxy is trying to tell me I'm down to 33BPM! Auto fitness tracking is just getting annoying. It thought I was doing a walk when I was shopping in Asda! The use of the watch in general seems a bit smoother and more logical. Notifications etc seem to display better and for longer. On the Active it seems like it can't make up it's mind if it just wants to vibrate and show nothing or vibrate and display the message. On the golf app front it's ok, displays distance etc and has a reasonable mapping feature. First time out it did have one hole with the wrong par, displaying it as a 4 rather than a 5. Can't find anywhere to send course updates on the phone app for this. With the phone app that accompanies the watch app I must admit I was expecting more. It's very 'clunky' with a below average interface and features. I'm thinking about returning the Active and getting the Watch 4 instead, then installing a golf app, but I am open to other watch based suggestions. I need decent health and activity monitoring as well as the golf. My understanding is that the Garmin golf watches don't all do health monitoring and start to get pricey when they do.

I hope this all makes sense and I look forward to your suggestions and comments. Thanks

Mike79

Visit site
Can't help much on the Apple/Samsung side of things. I was looking into a Garmin Vivoactive 4... seems to have the basic golf info (like on the Garmin Approach S10) but a good spread of general fitness. A more golf-focussed Garmin S62 gives far better mapping etc to allow you to alter target distance. I think the S10/Vivoactive4 just give front/middle/back on greens, plus front and back of hazards... I think!

I got the Hole19 app working properly on my phone at the weekend and it was pretty good for GPS to work out yardages - not as accurate as a range finder, but good enough for me

Keniff

Visit site
Can't help much on the Apple/Samsung side of things. I was looking into a Garmin Vivoactive 4... seems to have the basic golf info (like on the Garmin Approach S10) but a good spread of general fitness. A more golf-focussed Garmin S62 gives far better mapping etc to allow you to alter target distance. I think the S10/Vivoactive4 just give front/middle/back on greens, plus front and back of hazards... I think!

I got the Hole19 app working properly on my phone at the weekend and it was pretty good for GPS to work out yardages - not as accurate as a range finder, but good enough for me

Cheers Mike,
Just the sort of info I was looking for. I also looked at the Garmin VivoActive but was probably looking for better golf info. Although it does at least give distances to hazards, which a lot don't. Garmin S62 is probably a bit out of my price range and I also think it's a bit chunky.

Springveldt

Visit site
I used the Garmin X40 Approach for about 4 years. It was great on the course but Garmin stats left a lot to be desired. Changed to a pure golf watch (Shotscope) last summer so I could analyse my game a bit more and love it.

A couple of the lads I play with use their Apple Watch, think it might be Hole19 or something. It gives them distances to front/middle/back and seems pretty accurate most of the time.

Keniff

Visit site
I used the Garmin X40 Approach for about 4 years. It was great on the course but Garmin stats left a lot to be desired. Changed to a pure golf watch (Shotscope) last summer so I could analyse my game a bit more and love it.

A couple of the lads I play with use their Apple Watch, think it might be Hole19 or something. It gives them distances to front/middle/back and seems pretty accurate most of the time.
Cheers Springveldt. Thought for thought.