Sports Personality of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

It’s that time of the year again where everyone grumbles like mad about how such and such doesn’t have a personality etc etc

Everyone knows it’s the BBCs along with the publics choice of Sportsman or woman of the year and at times it’s a popularity contest

So here is the contenders

Elise Christie - Short Track Speed Skating
Sir Mo Farah - Athletics
Chris Froome - Cycling
Lewis Hamilton - F1
Anthony Joshua - Boxing
Harry Kane - Football
Johanna Konta - Tennis
Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics
Adam Peaty - Swimming
Jonathan Rea - Motorcycling
Anya Shrubsole - Cricket
Bianca Walkden - Taekwando

Would like to see Farah finally win but I think it will be Joshua

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42078693

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been reading that there is a social media backlash because Jermaine Defoe wasn't nominated for his support of Bradley Lowery and his family.

To me there's not one standout contender in that list.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Nailed on that Joshua will win it.
Wonder how many times Amir Khan’s Mrs will be voting for him 🤔

U

User62651

Hamilton or Joshua will win out of general popularity.
Bit weak this year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does Maro Itoje not make that list. Part of an England team that has lost once in 2 years, part of a European cup winning Saracens team, part of a Lions team that tied a series in New Zealand and short listed for world player of the year. In fact Owen Farrel did the same and should be there as well

D

Deleted member 16999

40goals in 39games is a pretty spectacular year for an English Striker.

id say it’s a better year than the one that got Giggs a token award.
That year that Giggs was PFA Player of the year, made his 800th appearance and, oh yes the PL Title winner.

All Kane has won this year is a Player of the month award.

Not doubting Kane’s ability, but still don’t see him doing enough to warrant a selection against the rest on the list.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That year that Giggs was PFA Player of the year, made his 800th appearance and, oh yes the PL Title winner.

Not doubting Kane’s ability, but still don’t see him doing enough to warrant a selection against the rest on the list.

I thought he won the European cup against Real Madrid earlier this month……….

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How does Maro Itoje not make that list. Part of an England team that has lost once in 2 years, part of a European cup winning Saracens team, part of a Lions team that tied a series in New Zealand and short listed for world player of the year. In fact Owen Farrel did the same and should be there as well

expected one or the other of them to make the list for sure in what is clearly a "poor vintage"

Froome should win it for me but assume it will be Joshua

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

The title was a team achievement. I don’t recall him pulling up trees that year. Both the pfa and sports personality awards were pats on the back for a great career. Don’t get me wrong, his career deserves recognition. But this is an award for a years work, not a career.

D

Deleted member 16999

The title was a team achievement. I don’t recall him pulling up trees that year. Both the pfa and sports personality awards were pats on the back for a great career. Don’t get me wrong, his career deserves recognition. But this is an award for a years work, not a career.
PFA Award is an individual award, Kane was nominated but didn’t win, Kane scored his goals as part of a team, it wasn’t him against 11.
It’s voted by the public, if the BBC wanted to recognise Gigg’s career they could of given him the lifetime achievement award.