Sports Personality Of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just dont get the hooha about this , its open to the public to vote , they voted considerably more for LH than they did for Rors ,

IMO , I dont think the trophy or the accolade will rank very near the top of either of their achievements when the look back after retirement

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As mentioned in here there is just no golf coverage on TV if you do not have sky. Further to this I think the BBC's golf coverage is pretty poor for the two events they show and then they only show parts of those.

You get better coverage of NFL than golf, really would not hurt to have a weekly show covering golf, European tour appears to be struggling some what and if there was a late night show showing highlights of the weekly events that would really help.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are some seriously uneducated opinions on here. I got board and did not read them all but let me assure you that Lewis did a very great deal more than win a two horse race! He also did a huge amount more than Rory did.... He was the right man for this award! Lets also remember that F1 is a very great deal larger than golf worldwide. After football and the Olympics its the largest sporting spectacle in the world.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are some seriously uneducated opinions on here. I got board and did not read them all but let me assure you that Lewis did a very great deal more than win a two horse race! He also did a huge amount more than Rory did.... He was the right man for this award! Lets also remember that F1 is a very great deal larger than golf worldwide. After football and the Olympics its the largest sporting spectacle in the world.

Oops!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was merely pointing out the irony of calling certain opinions seriously uneducated and then spelling bored incorrectly.

That`s brilliant!! So no you dont have any content to add!! That some do not spend huge swaths of time knowing and learning about F1 (so uneducated on the subject) has little to do with spelling.....

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That`s brilliant!! So no you dont have any content to add!! That some do not spend huge swaths of time knowing and learning about F1 (so uneducated on the subject) has little to do with spelling.....

Look, you were hoisted by your own petard. It happens, lets move on!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look, you were hoisted by your own petard. It happens, lets move on!

Nope, lets not... you are looking for a ruck, its clear to see in everything you have posted this morning. I can back up what I have said and stay on topic, you are still looking for your off topic ruck. Ask me about what I have written or you move on. Pulling people up on spelling errors is a well known low for forum users..... What you got for me?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Touche

Do you really think any F1 race is greater than the Superbowl or any of the mens Tennis Grand Slam finals, The Masters or The Open Championship? I'll give you the Monaco Grand Prix being probably the top one and would contend as an event but other than that????

All about opinions my man.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

GM would disagree and have the facts to back it up here http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/blogs/office/sports-personality-year-mcilroys-surprising-loss-62888

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, lets not... you are looking for a ruck, its clear to see in everything you have posted this morning. I can back up what I have said and stay on topic, you are still looking for your off topic ruck. Ask me about what I have written or you move on. Pulling people up on spelling errors is a well known low for forum users..... What you got for me?

Sigh. So a difference of opinion is now classed as looking for a ruck.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pos Driver Nationality Team Points
1 Lewis Hamilton British Mercedes 384
2 Nico Rosberg German Mercedes 317
3 Daniel Ricciardo Australian Red Bull Racing-Renault 238
4 Valtteri Bottas Finnish Williams-Mercedes 186
5 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 167
6 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 161
7 Felipe Massa Brazilian Williams-Mercedes 134
8 Jenson Button British McLaren-Mercedes 126
9 Nico Hulkenberg German Force India-Mercedes 96
10 Sergio Perez Mexican Force India-Mercedes 59

I guess you could stretch the truth a bit and claim it was a three horse race, although that's overly kind to Ricciardo who was never in it. Hamilton had more than double the points of the fourth placed guy.

So, no, I stand by my comments. It was a two horse race between whichever experienced F1 drivers were lucky enough to find themselves in a Mercedes. A spectacle, yes, but not a sporting contest and, generally, not even particularly interesting after the first few laps.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be there job to disagree...

How many of those 22 racers realistically have any chance of winning a Grand Prix? (Barring a massive pile-up) 3? 4?

As the large number of first time major winners in the mens game have shown in recent years, there is a large proportion of the field that, if they play well enough, has the chance to win.

Most of the Formula 1 field doesnt have a prayer of becoming world champion.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pos Driver Nationality Team Points
1 Lewis Hamilton British Mercedes 384
2 Nico Rosberg German Mercedes 317
3 Daniel Ricciardo Australian Red Bull Racing-Renault 238
4 Valtteri Bottas Finnish Williams-Mercedes 186
5 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 167
6 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 161
7 Felipe Massa Brazilian Williams-Mercedes 134
8 Jenson Button British McLaren-Mercedes 126
9 Nico Hulkenberg German Force India-Mercedes 96
10 Sergio Perez Mexican Force India-Mercedes 59

I guess you could stretch the truth a bit and claim it was a three horse race, although that's overly kind to Ricciardo who was never in it. Hamilton had more than double the points of the fourth placed guy.

So, no, I stand by my comments. It was a two horse race between whichever experienced F1 drivers were lucky enough to find themselves in a Mercedes. A spectacle, yes, but not a sporting contest and, generally, not even particularly interesting after the first few laps.

I agree with just about everything you have said apart from that he was lucky enough to be where he was. It was a two horse race, Danny Ric was never in it.

For the record I am not really a Lewis Hamilton fan. Lewis`s team(management) played a master stroke in getting him into Merc when they did and Merc played the same master stroke getting Lewis. It was a 19 race world championship played out over, what is it?, about 9 months. A race weekend is technically 3 days, Friday free practice 1 & 2, Saturday FP 3 and Quali and Sunday race, he had to complete that 19 times to get a title. In the time in between that he had no mental rest, the job was not done, it was 1/19th, 2/19th and so on. The mental pressure he was under was huge and beyond a test of endurance. I could write down all the lows he overcame but that would get old fast on what is a golf forum.

Rory did quite amassing things, he is an unreal sportsman, talent and competitor. After 4 days he can rest, the job is done, he can relax, enjoy and prepare for the next stand alone event.

I put it to you that Lewis came a very very long way as a human, a sportsman and a driver this year I think the timing was perfect for him to recieve this award.

I have no doubt that Rory will get it at some point.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rory did quite amassing things, he is an unreal sportsman, talent and competitor. After 4 days he can rest, the job is done, he can relax, enjoy and prepare for the next stand alone event.

I put it to you that Lewis came a very very long way as a human, a sportsman and a driver this year I think the timing was perfect for him to recieve this award.

I can agree with just about everything you say, and I don't dispute that becoming F1 world champ is a huge achievement. Lewis would have been a worth winner of SPOTY (and I do like him) except that someone in a different sport had a phenomenal year, arguably the best year ever by a European golfer.

Anyway, it's all about opinions. :cheers:

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with just about everything you have said apart from that he was lucky enough to be where he was. It was a two horse race, Danny Ric was never in it.

For the record I am not really a Lewis Hamilton fan. Lewis`s team(management) played a master stroke in getting him into Merc when they did and Merc played the same master stroke getting Lewis. It was a 19 race world championship played out over, what is it?, about 9 months. A race weekend is technically 3 days, Friday free practice 1 & 2, Saturday FP 3 and Quali and Sunday race, he had to complete that 19 times to get a title. In the time in between that he had no mental rest, the job was not done, it was 1/19th, 2/19th and so on. The mental pressure he was under was huge and beyond a test of endurance. I could write down all the lows he overcame but that would get old fast on what is a golf forum.

That's not quite how it works. Getting to World number 1 isn't a four day job, neither is topping the money list on both sides of the Atlantic. Oh and you forgot about practice days as well.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can agree with just about everything you say, and I don't dispute that becoming F1 world champ is a huge achievement. Lewis would have been a worth winner of SPOTY (and I do like him) except that someone in a different sport had a phenomenal year, arguably the best year ever by a European golfer.

Anyway, it's all about opinions. :cheers:

It totally is, I just wanted to put the case for him and not just have it thought that it was an easy ride and just a two horse race. A lot more than that happened. :cheers: