Gymnast Max Whitlock,
F1's Lewis Hamilton
Swimmer Adam Peaty
Lizzy Yarnold - Skeleton
Boxer Carl Froch
Charlotte Dujardin dressage
Athlete Jo Pavey,
Paralympic skier Kelly Gallagher and guide Charlotte Evans

Thought Rory would be a shoe in - but Hamilton would Prob be a favourite at the moment

Team of the year will prob be European Ryder Cup team with McGinley maybe coach of the year ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/30179284

The ten candidates have been named

Golfer Rory McIlroy,
Footballer Gareth Bale,
Gymnast Max Whitlock,
F1's Lewis Hamilton
Swimmer Adam Peaty
Lizzy Yarnold - Skeleton
Boxer Carl Froch
Athlete Jo Pavey,

Thought Rory would be a shoe in - but Hamilton would Prob be a favourite at the moment

Team of the year will prob be European Ryder Cup team with McGinley maybe coach of the year ?

McIlroy is almost a 4/1 on favourite, be a pretty big shock if he doesnt win.

The list of ten confirms one thing that its been a pretty shoddy year for British sport!

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not been too bad if looking past the main stream sports

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Will be interesting to see if Rory does win as I think golf needs him to to help with changing its image. As this could be a good barometer of what the great British public think of golf.

And I agree with Fyldewhite about F1 as I am not doubting Lewis's talent, but the fact that he is in the best car plus the fact that he's hardly competing against a huge field every week means his achievements are diminished for me. You kind of think Rory would still do what he does no matter which manufacturer he was with, but Lewis would probably not have won the world championship if he was not with Mercedes this year.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rory all the way. 2 majors, a WGC event, the flagship event on the European Tour and a great performance at the Ryder Cup, particularly THAT singles victory over Rickie Fowler which set the tone for the remainder of the afternoon and made sure the US didnt stage a comeback. Had Rory lost that match then it might have made for a few twitchy matches down the order.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Andrew Cotter summed SPOTY up quite well:

No doubt Lewis Hamilton is super-talented, but I can't stress enough to those outside golf just how great Rory McIlroy's achievements are.

Golfers don't tend to get mass support at SPOTY though, so don't hold your breath.

And incidentally - the title is misleading. It's all about sporting achievement, nothing to do with how winning their personality.

Hopefully Rory will win it...but will he really care about it?! Same could be said about Hamilton as well!

I think Froch will probably win it to be honest

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/30179284

The ten candidates have been named

Golfer Rory McIlroy,
Footballer Gareth Bale,
Gymnast Max Whitlock,
F1's Lewis Hamilton
Swimmer Adam Peaty
Lizzy Yarnold - Skeleton
Boxer Carl Froch
Athlete Jo Pavey,

No chance I'd say. They beat a pretty disorganised and disharmonious US team quite easily with little tension or to be honest excitement in the way of a great sporting challenge. Also it was only over 3 days so it was hardly a prolonged and sustained campaign. Also I expect they have won it before to a precedent has been set, but half of the team was not even British so can/should they really win the British team of the year? I know you can only beat who you are up against, but in my opinion it was not the best team effort this year (I like GB72s shout for the womens rugby team) and the fact we are golfers is probably colouring our judgement on the achievement.

And much the same goes for McGinley, again he did very well over 3 days but in my opinion it was extremely efficient, Europe was hardly underdogs and the US team did a good job of beating themselves. Well done to the fella but not deserving of the coach of the year IMHO.

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me F1 is seriously over-rated as a challenge to the driver with all the gizmos, technical and tactical back up from the pits.Can't help but compare it with the World Rally Championship - speeds of up to 200kph on dirt/gravel/mud with the terrifying possibility of meeting one of nature's crash barriers in the unyielding form of a tree. Much more skill and bottle required imho.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No chance I'd say. They beat a pretty disorganised and disharmonious US team quite easily with little tension or to be honest excitement in the way of a great sporting challenge. Also it was only over 3 days so it was hardly a prolonged and sustained campaign. Also I expect they have won it before to a precedent has been set, but half of the team was not even British so can/should they really win the British team of the year? I know you can only beat who you are up against, but in my opinion it was not the best team effort this year (I like GB72s shout for the womens rugby team) and the fact we are golfers is probably colouring our judgement on the achievement.

And much the same goes for McGinley, again he did very well over 3 days but in my opinion it was extremely efficient, Europe was hardly underdogs and the US team did a good job of beating themselves. Well done to the fella but not deserving of the coach of the year IMHO.

Couldn't agree more, coach of the year and team of the year, probably Brendan Rogers and Liverpool would deserve it more going from 8th to 2nd in the Premiership but even then it means nothing as they won exactly that, nothing. I reckon potentially Northampton Saints should be in with a shout, winning the Aviva Premiership and European Challenge Cup, a great achievement. Had Saracens managed to win one of the 2 finals they contested then you'd have your winner IMO.

D

Deleted member 15344

The main award is a public vote so anything can happen ( Ryan Giggs is a perfect example )

Right now Hamilton is flavour of the month and could ride that recent publicity to win

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hamilton only had to beat one other driver, the rest of the teams failed to turn up. McIlroy was stand out. F1 fans are a dedicated bunch though and it is decided by a public vote so if they organise themselves he could win. The rest of the nominees show what a poor year it has been.

I don't see the Ryder Cup team winning. They have won the Ryder Cup too often now so people don't see it as an outstanding achievement. Do people vote for the team one or is it by committee? If committee decides then expect to see a womens team win, rugby being the obvious one. The BBC are going big into womens sport and this would be a good chance for them to promote it further. A PC decision.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hamilton only had to beat one other driver, the rest of the teams failed to turn up. McIlroy was stand out. F1 fans are a dedicated bunch though and it is decided by a public vote so if they organise themselves he could win. The rest of the nominees show what a poor year it has been.

I don't see the Ryder Cup team winning. They have won the Ryder Cup too often now so people don't see it as an outstanding achievement. Do people vote for the team one or is it by committee? If committee decides then expect to see a womens team win, rugby being the obvious one. The BBC are going big into womens sport and this would be a good chance for them to promote it further. A PC decision.

It's only poor in regards the main stream sports but behind that there has been a lot of success

And if the women's team win the aware it will because they deserve it as opposed a "PC decision"