Sports Personality Of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the timing could mean Lewis wins.

If there was any personality element then it would be Jo Pavey all day for me :thup: Love that woman's commitment and drive...plus she just seems such a likeable, quirky character.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Boxing not a sport ? Wrestling ? Martial arts ?

All rely on judges

The thing is I can't see your definition of sport but I can find the one the Olympics use

Amateur boxing such as in the Olympics has a points system based on landing punches to the head/body on the white scoring area of the glove. Amateur wrestling also operates a hold/submission system. I also seem to remember a points system in operation in things like Judo & TaeKwon Do at the last Olympics based on hits/kicks landed. Pro boxing is prob the exception to the rule, but even then it is only when no other better conclusion has been reached. I know what the definition is, but my opinion is as stated.

C

c1973

Team of the year should go to Scottish Junior Football outfit Hurlford United.

About 20 years ago they went out the game, came back a few years later and were front page news in the Sunday Mail as the worst team in Britain, 20-0 results not uncommon.

Now they are the Scottish Junior Cup holders (that's the BIG prize in Junior footy btw, the one all the top outfits want), a top team in the Ayrshire Junior league (the best Junior Leagues in Scotland btw) and went on a great run in the Scottish Cup (certain Junior teams can enter, dependant on winning certain comps) losing out on Penalties 13-12 (junior record penalties score) to Stirling Albion after a replay having outplayed the Senior team in both games, that deserves genuine recognition I think.

As a side note the same towns amateur team (Hurlford Thistle) are the Scottish Amateur Cup holders (the big prize in Amateur football).

Both cups have never been held by teams in the same town at the same time in their history. Quite an achievement I think.

:)

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golfers whinging about other sports not being real sports brings to mind the old cliche "people in glass houses should not throw stones".

There are plenty out there who can and do argue that golf isn't a real sport either.

I don't agree with them, btw.

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Sadly the BBC publicity machine will get to work on a McIlroy v Hamilton show down and the gullable public will buy into it and ignore the more deserving nominees

Nothing sad about it. Both are world number 1 in their respective sport. McIlroy has won two majors and a world championship event this year. Your post may have been more applicable to other nominees in different years but not these two.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing sad about it. Both are world number 1 in their respective sport. McIlroy has won two majors and a world championship event this year. Your post may have been more applicable to other nominees in different years but not these two.

Sad in the respect that the others who've performed to their peak in their respective fields will get overshadowed and the BBC will stage manage it to a head to head. Why bother with ten nominees in the first place in that case

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Michael Clarke for overseas personality. Forget the onfield stuff, which has become irrelevant the past week, for cricket at least, Clarke has conducted himself magnificently and shown true emotion along with fortitude in his role as Philip Hughes' friend and as Australian skipper. It may be a sentimental thought / knee-jerk reaction but so what.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Michael Clarke for overseas personality. Forget the onfield stuff, which has become irrelevant the past week, for cricket at least, Clarke has conducted himself magnificently and shown true emotion along with fortitude in his role as Philip Hughes' friend and as Australian skipper. It may be a sentimental thought / knee-jerk reaction but so what.

+ 1

D

Deleted member 15344

So tonight is the night - Hamilton is prob the favourite

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Have to agree totally. Think Hamilton will win but would like to see McIlroy do it

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I really couldn't give a stuff, it's a personality award, not for the best achievement !

Worse still, I doubt that the BBC will have enough clips to cover all of the major sports as they are all owned by Sky these days!

D

Deleted member 15344

I never understand why people say this when with every possible betting medium McIlroy is the favourite

Just think he is fresher in the memory for the people voting