Sports Personality of the Year 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't watched it and don't give a monkeys about it, it was a bit of sarcasm relating to another thread!

However, I do agree with you, I'd love to share a puck with a couple of the Hockey team 😳😜👍

Would that couple be the pair that are married? :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
personality
pəːsəˈnalɪti
noun

the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
synonyms: character, nature, disposition, temperament, make-up, persona, psyche, identity
"her cheerful and vibrant personality"

a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"
synonyms: celebrity, VIP, star, superstar, celebutante, name, famous name, household name, big name, somebody, leading light, notable, personage, luminary, notability, worth

Think Andy fits the definition for being a 'personality' quite easily

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
personality
pəːsəˈnalɪti
noun

the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
"she had a sunny personality that was very engaging"
synonyms: character, nature, disposition, temperament, make-up, persona, psyche, identity
"her cheerful and vibrant personality"

a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"
synonyms: celebrity, VIP, star, superstar, celebutante, name, famous name, household name, big name, somebody, leading light, notable, personage, luminary, notability, worth

Think Andy fits the definition for being a 'personality' quite easily

Andy Murray
Andi Murri
Name

A person with no personality. Dour. Miserable. Speaks in low monotones. Prone to outbursts. Makes dishwater seem interesting. 😀

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Andy Murray
Andi Murri
Name

A person with no personality. Dour. Miserable. Speaks in low monotones. Prone to outbursts. Makes dishwater seem interesting. 😀

If you knew Scots then you wouldn't be surprised by his general demeanor around his ability and success :)

Your perception of his demeanor is not inconsistent with the definitions of 'personality'. If you don't like him then fine. But you can't say he's not a 'personality' in accordance with the definition of that word - well you can - but you'd be wrong.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you knew Scots then you wouldn't be surprised by his general demeanor around his ability and success :)

Your perception of his demeanor is not inconsistent with the definitions of 'personality'. If you don't like him then fine. But you can't say he's not a 'personality' in accordance with the definition of that word - well you can - but you'd be wrong.
Ah now, I didn't say I didn't like him and I didn't say he wasn't a personality. I just said he didn't have any personality 😀 Which is probably more in line with your point about demeanour and the use of the word personality in that sense. And this just goes to prove how unerringly accurate the post about how many forumers does it take to change a lightbulb really is 😀.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ah now, I didn't say I didn't like him and I didn't say he wasn't a personality. I just said he didn't have any personality 😀 Which is probably more in line with your point about demeanour and the use of the word personality in that sense. And this just goes to prove how unerringly accurate the post about how many forumers does it take to change a lightbulb really is 😀.

To continue that theme....

You have confused which of the 2 meanings of 'personality' the program was about!

As you posted, Andy Murray undoubtably IS a personality (definition 2 of SILH's post above - the celebrity), but (arguably) has little personality (definition 1 of SILH's post above - the attribute)! :whistle:

The program/award was for definition 2!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

You have confused which of the 2 meanings of 'personality' the program was about!

As you posted, Andy Murray undoubtably IS a personality (definition 2 of SILH's post above - the celebrity), but (arguably) has little personality (definition 1 of SILH's post above - the attribute)! :whistle:

On the personality front he possibly has as much humility and self-deprecation you'd ever wish a champion to have.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

With such an ambiguous award title, how do you know? 😀

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On the personality front he possibly has as much humility and self-deprecation you'd ever wish a champion to have.

Oh I agree! I'm actually a huge fan and always have been - even when he was a talented skinny runt with little experience of handling the Press, which led to one memorable faux-pas!

I'm also a great fan of Judy Murray and her approach to the LTA after Jamie had something of a disastrous experience at their hands!

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Don't fret love, we Scots all know what you really mean.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't fret love, we Scots all know what you really mean.

My Dumfries born neighbour advises that Murray appears to be following the well worn path adopted by many born north of the wall... And, I am perfectly sure you know what I mean also...

As an avid watcher of tennis I believe Andy fully deserves all the accolades... It can be hard work watching him but I suppose that's all part and parcel of what makes him the player he is...