Sports Personality of the Year 2012...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If it was won on personality as well as sporting excellence, then surely Laura Trott the cyclist would win it. What an unspoilt star she is, with none of the tantrums of Victoria Pendleton.

For sporting achievement it must go to Andy Murray. Was beginning to think I would never see a British major winner in tennis in my lifetime. Not sure about the quality of the Tour de France riders Wiggins beat, but I know Murray beat one of the greatest tennis players ever in Djokovic. Also what a true gent he was in defeat, although I was worried that his girlfriend looked like a younger version of his mother.:mmm:

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
People misunderstand sports personality because of the word personality. it should be sportsperson of the year or something like that.

It is actually meant to be a prize given based on sporting achievement, not personality.

based on that, it SHOULD be Murray, who has a major aswell as an olympic gold medal.

Suspect that it will be Ennis or Farah because their personality is a lot more apparent in from of the tv cameras. Anyone would tell you that in private Murray is a funny bloke but because he doesn't show it in front of the cameras as readily as certain others he is unfairly labelled as boring.
No, it SHOULD be Wiggins, Murray's achievements are not unique (albeit it's been a very long time coming) whereas no Brit has ever won the ultimate cycling prize (and tennis has 4 equal 'ultimate' prizes like golf every year) , plus his Scottishness counts heavily against him as well.

It should in the end be Wiggins based on the same count of Gold + Major and as said cycling having one major greater than the other two by a long way (Vuelta & Giro not in same league), but tennis is much more popular, so I think that will overcome the anti-Scottish vote in the end.

S

Snelly

Agree with hugh above.

Bradley Wiggins for me. A quite amazing achievement. Stunning and never done before by a Brit.

Plus, he is very cool!