Sports Personality of the Year 2012...

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Well this year just making the final ten is an achievement in itself. Pick the bones out of this long list...

Farah, Ennis, Rutherford, Hoy, Wiggins, Trott (also young SPOTY), Kenny, Grainger, Ainslie, Storey, McIlroy, Adams, Murray...

Not mention Cycling, Men's gymnastics, Equestrian, Women's rowing...

And the best news? Not an overpaid, premadonna footballer in sight ;0)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Pointless award,utterly pointless.

The title of the award does not even match up to why they give it.

I mean Nick Faldo won it,imagine Murray getting it and christ they even gave it to Liz McColgan......breathtaking personalities all of them.:rolleyes:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Why is it called Sports PERSONALITY Award when most winners have no or little personality at all?

I have no idea and the title is poor so I agree with what you and Dodger are saying BUT if we think about it as Sports PERSON of the Year and in terms of sporting achievement I'm stumped:
- Murray ending the 76 year wait for a Grand Slam winner + Olympic Gold & Silver
- Wiggins first Brit to win the Tour de France and then bags Olympic Gold
- David Weir four Paralympic gold medals
- BEN Ainslie (BOB!!!!) most decorated sailor in Olympic history with his 4th Gold medal and 5th medal in five Games
- Sir Chris Hoy most decorated British Olympian of all time with two golds this time out and a total of 6 gold medals
- Mo Farah first Britain to win Gold in the 10,000m and then goes and does the double
- Sarah Storey Britains greatest ever Paralympian (and in TWO sports) 5 Gold, 8 Silver & 3 bronze in swimming a couple of Cycling Golds in Beijing and then FOUR Gold medals in London to move ahead of Tanni Grey-Thompson
- and poor Rory McIlroy who bagged his second Major and looks on course to top both the European and US Money lists but without a Gold medal he has nae chance!!!!

UN-BE-LIEVE-ABLE!!!!!

Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is it called Sports PERSONALITY Award when most winners have no or little personality at all?

I understood that the BBC in their wisdom thought it was vulgar to call it 'Best Sportsperson of the Year' !!

I'd vote for Jessica Ennis, not just because of her impressive abs, and not to decry the other achievements.

She came into the competition with a load of external pressure on her as the poster girl of the games, and pulled through really impressively.

There will be no footballers on the list, and nore should there be. I'm no great supporter of how many of them carry on, but also the comparision between the best of the olympics and the worst of football is wearing a little thin

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
As to why 'personality' is in the title has most probably been lost in the sands of time... Award must of been around for 60 years or thereabouts...

As a motorsports fan never worked out why Graham Hill never got the award... Certainly in my memory was one of only a few British sportsman that could be deemed to have had a 'personality'...

Seem to remember Bob Nudd [angler] winning the vote one year... Beeb deemed it a rigged vote so he never got the 'pot'...

Been suggested, I believe, that there is no main award this year... In its place a celebration of a great summer of British sport... Or something like that...

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been suggested, I believe, that there is no main award this year... In its place a celebration of a great summer of British sport... Or something like that...

No chance the beeb will miss out on the chance to rake in record money from a phone vote.

Loads of worthy winners,but it'll come down to a battle between Wiggins,Farah & Murray.

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personality? Two words that sums up how little the award means, Mark Cavendish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIR-eygzNV8 I was in agony watching it and I wasnt there. If Murray wins it, I wouldnt be surprised given some of the previous winners.

Depends how you define someone's personality and what traits are deemed important, I suppose.A personality with determination,courage, a never say die attitude could be seen as important to sporting success.A cheeky chappie with a glint in his eye and a good line in banter would be an additional bonus, but to me it's no deal breaker.

It might be a Scottish thing, but I like Murrays personality (Cav's too as it goes), I think his dry humour is great.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
People misunderstand sports personality because of the word personality. it should be sportsperson of the year or something like that.

It is actually meant to be a prize given based on sporting achievement, not personality.

based on that, it SHOULD be Murray, who has a major aswell as an olympic gold medal.

Suspect that it will be Ennis or Farah because their personality is a lot more apparent in from of the tv cameras. Anyone would tell you that in private Murray is a funny bloke but because he doesn't show it in front of the cameras as readily as certain others he is unfairly labelled as boring.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bradley Wiggins for me is the deserved winner. The tour win followed so closely timewise with the Olympic shades it.
Hopefully Weir will come close 2nd to him.

Murray has achieved a lot this year, but he isn't the most loveable of sportsmen now is he... Be surprised if he doesn't sneak a 2nd or 3rd place spot in the end though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
phew - difficult. I'm probably going to go with Andy Murray.

As much as I think their success has been fantastic Bradley Wiggins and Cavendish in the Tour are part of a team - so his success is in part due to the team. Murray is out there by himself. His world tennis top four opponents are quite possibly three of the besttennis players ever (some might argue that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are in fact the three greatest male tennis players ever). And for the three of them to be plying their trade at the same time - and Andy to be able to beat them.

Olympians. Did any of our victorious athletes, cyclists, rowers, sailors etc beat three of the best at their discipline in history? I can't think of any. In the Paras - yes - David Weir may well have done so but his sport is so new you don't actually know where even he will sit in the all time greats of his sports in say 50 yrs time. And that is a (admittedly harsh) criteria I would use for all paralympians - we actually don't know just quite how great any of them are.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and on further reflection - Andy Murray for pure sporting excellence and achievement, shared with Ellie Simmonds - for showing us that folk 4'1" tall can be giants both in themselves and in our world.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Impossible to pick a "best" sport's person from this year's crop.

I know one thing, I doubt we'll ever see another year of sport's success quite like this one in our lifetimes. Utterly incredible. Shafting the 'Mercans on their own turf to bring home our Ryder Cup would be the icing on the cake!