Sports Personality of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are probably right. Unfortunately the league in union doesn't register outside of hardcore fans. In international terms the World Cup is the big daddy, the 6 nations happens every year and only has a small pool to choose from so you can't expect the wider public to notice. Harsh, but that's reality.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Kane winning would be an embarrassment

You have to be the best in the world at your chosen sport to get my vote.

Froome, Hamilton, Murray has been, etc etc

Is Kane even top 10 in the world for his position

D

Deleted member 15344

Right now yes he is - Madrid etc would happily pay over £100 mil for him

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes world wide he is,however imo and yours to have him win SP would be an embarrassment.
I would go Froome but i fear Joshua or Hamilton will win.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s that time of the year again where everyone grumbles like mad about how such and such doesn’t have a personality etc etc

Everyone knows it’s the BBCs along with the publics choice of Sportsman or woman of the year and at times it’s a popularity contest

So here is the contenders

Elise Christie - Short Track Speed Skating
Sir Mo Farah - Athletics
Chris Froome - Cycling
Lewis Hamilton - F1
Anthony Joshua - Boxing
Harry Kane - Football
Johanna Konta - Tennis
Jonnie Peacock - Para-athletics
Adam Peaty - Swimming
Jonathan Rea - Motorcycling
Anya Shrubsole - Cricket
Bianca Walkden - Taekwando

Would like to see Farah finally win but I think it will be Joshua

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42078693

I go Elise Christie. Speed skating being such a seat of the pants high risk of failure sport. You have to have a very strong will to win and constitution to put up with failure, crash outs, collisions, disqualifications etc. And you gotta be good to be the best.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone but Hamilton .......................... please!
My pick would be Adam Peaty then Chris Froome, but please, not Hamilton.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I go Elise Christie. Speed skating being such a seat of the pants high risk of failure sport. You have to have a very strong will to win and constitution to put up with failure, crash outs, collisions, disqualifications etc. And you gotta be good to be the best.
Or you just need to be a little bit in luck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYUjmEH9NNk
But it is exciting to watch, that's sure. More happening in a few seconds there than in 90 minutes F1.

How about scrapping the whole vote thing, have a 'celebration of sports' evening and everyone is a winner. Does't need to be limited to 10, and for 2 or 3 hours we just have Clair Balding looking back at a fantastic sport year across many sports, rather than giving 'others' a 3 minute shared segment.

D

Deleted member 15344

you mean something like the season Itoje and Farrell have had lol
At least one of them should have in the list

Can see the Lions getting the team of the year and maybe Jones as coach

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lots on the list I feel deserve it but can't see beyond Joshua or Hamilton. Why not allow people to vote forever and draw the list based on public opinion rather than foist a closed list. Who decides this? Let the public vote and close it a week before and then draw a top six/ten based on votes cast

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At least one of them should have in the list

Can see the Lions getting the team of the year and maybe Jones as coach

The Lions didn't win though. I know beating the All Blacks in New Zealand is incredibly hard but to be team of the year then surely you have to win, not draw.

I'd agree with the Jones call.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lots on the list I feel deserve it but can't see beyond Joshua or Hamilton. Why not allow people to vote forever and draw the list based on public opinion rather than foist a closed list. Who decides this? Let the public vote and close it a week before and then draw a top six/ten based on votes cast

No women or people in fringe sports would ever make the top 10 if it was done that way.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How about scrapping the whole vote thing, have a 'celebration of sports' evening and everyone is a winner. Does't need to be limited to 10, and for 2 or 3 hours we just have Clair Balding looking back at a fantastic sport year across many sports, rather than giving 'others' a 3 minute shared segment.

I think this would lift it back towards where it used to be.

A couple of others have also said that they have lost interest and that's how I feel. My memories back in the 80's are of having to watch it live and being in awe of the fantastic action that it exposed me to that I hadn't seen before. Nowadays all of that is plastered across the internet in 6 second bites, so very little of it is a surprise. And it panders to showcasing what I perceive to be a mediocre list of contenders.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PS Froome for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

The problem with looking back at olden days is you are looking back at days when there was only 3 or 4 channels and the BBC had most of the live sport on their channel - so they could show loads of footage from the year - now with most of the sports on Sky and BT they can’t show a lot of the highlights because it’s with Sky and they would need to pay to just show a few highlights.

But despite that they still put on a good show and do highlight as much great UK performances as possible and it’s still Prob the most prestigious Sporting award for most of the sportsmen and women

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this would lift it back towards where it used to be.

A couple of others have also said that they have lost interest and that's how I feel. My memories back in the 80's are of having to watch it live and being in awe of the fantastic action that it exposed me to that I hadn't seen before. Nowadays all of that is plastered across the internet in 6 second bites, so very little of it is a surprise. And it panders to showcasing what I perceive to be a mediocre list of contenders.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

PS Froome for me.

It does seem to reflect the quick, instant gratification of social media and everything needing to be a soundbite. It's also interesting that that BBC policy towards sport is clear and it has no interest in covering the main stream sports in this country (live football, cricket, rugby union etc) and so is perhaps forced to pick short clips as they have to pay to use footage

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Froome by a mile, hopefully. Its not just the Tour de France, he also won the Tour-Vuelta and is a strong favourite for the Giro D' Italia. Add that to several years of consistently high performances, inc. winning the TDF 4 times '13, '15, '16, '17.

If not him, I hope it goes to Hamilton. What a second half of the season! From being well off leading the championship, and Vettel looking unassailable, wow!

Johshua, maybe but I think its a year too early.

D

Deleted member 16999

Bradley Lowery’s parents getting the Helen Rollason Award was fantastic, didn’t see it all as I had some dust in my eyes ;)