• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Who should win

• Total voters

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hmmm no, he said it was a poor year for sport, i'd disagree and say an F1 world champ and a double golf major winner is a pretty decent year.

He beat McIlroy and it’s been clear for a while that golfers don’t do that well

Look at the rest of the nominees

It was a World Cup year and England bombed ,

The two main events where the European Athletics and Commonwealth

Other nominees not exactly stellar names - it was a poor year and Hamilton won

Not sure what this “untouchable” bit is about but ultimately it’s a public vote and more times than most they vote for others.

As per the bold bit. He discounted Rory. Therefor his performance was relevent in the statement about it being a poor year.

Obv Hamilton winning the F1 was the clear highlight.

D

Deleted member 15344

You think back to back golf majors is poor?

Weird.

You miss the point

In 2014 the big sporting main stream event was the World Cup , beyond that it was minor games and niche sports hence you only have to look at the list of nominees that year - F1 was the big hitter and it’s no surprise he won. McIlroy winning two majors was amazing “for golf fans” - outside that many don’t care , the “rich appeal “ of F1 used to attract more than just F1 fans. So whilst Hamilton is an outstanding driver over the years people imo have got bored with him hence why it needs a poor year for main stream sports for him to win it again imo

Oof 🙄

D

Deleted member 15344

I've voted Sterling because Hamilton is a bell end, Stokes isn't even British and I've never heard of the others.

Stokes is as British as Sterling is 🤦‍♂️

And you seriously haven’t heard of the athletes 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stokes is as British as Sterling is 🤦‍♂️

And you seriously haven’t heard of the athletes 😂
Fair point on Sterling I guess. 😂

Johnson-Thompson sounded vaguely familiar but not sure what she does. And definitely not the other two, no idea.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The BBC will want someone from their limited sports coverage to win. So it will either be an athlete who came 3rd in the ladies shot put or a totally unknown left-winger who plays for the Chelsea Dorises with then a token finish for someone in a wheelchair.

So I think you can guess my interest in the whole thing now! I used to love this show back in the 80s and early 90s. A proper sporting review of the year but times and TV coverages have changed.

D

Deleted member 15344

The BBC will want someone from their limited sports coverage to win. So it will either be an athlete who came 3rd in the ladies shot put or a totally unknown left-winger who plays for the Chelsea Dorises with then a token finish for someone in a wheelchair.

So I think you can guess my interest in the whole thing now! I used to love this show back in the 80s and early 90s. A proper sporting review of the year but times and TV coverages have changed.

Wow - where to start

We all know you’re not a fan of the BBC but who do you think is missing from who has been picked ?

It’s also voted for by the General Public from the list - one of the main favourites is from a sport that’s all on Sky 🙄

Chelsea Dorises 🤦‍♂️ Token wheelchair 🤦‍♂️

No wonder you like the 80’s - you appear to be stuck there.

But of course your interest was enough to make a poor comment on it 🙄

D

Deleted member 16999

Adam Peaty should be in there.

Broke the world record at 100m breaststroke

Won Gold in both 50m and 100m breaststroke

Gold in the 4 x 100m medley

Bronze in the 4 x 100m mixed medley

First man ever to swim Sub 58 seconds in 100m Breaststroke

The golds in 50m & 100m meant he’s completed a triple double in the world championships.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dina Asher-Smith for me. First ever British female sprint World Champion (well 200m is a sprint) - now that is quite something. Was a bit of a toss up between her and Kat Johnson Thompson - winning heptathlon gold is also pretty awesome - but as Jessica Ennis-Hill has been there and done it - I plumped for Asher-Smith.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site

The golds in 50m & 100m meant he’s completed a triple double in the world championships.

This, every day of the week - Peaty has literally redefined how to swim breaststroke, and redefined what can be achieved in the discipline

I wonder if he is, perhaps, so dominant that whatever he does no longer ‘stands out’ enough in a single year appraisal (Especially if the general public are inured to swimming success stories by headlines about athletes who win 6, 7 or 8 Golds in a meet)? Maybe his best chance will be a Lifetime Achievement award when he retires and people can appreciate how ridiculous his results/times have been over many years?

D

Deleted member 16999

This, every day of the week - Peaty has literally redefined how to swim breaststroke, and redefined what can be achieved in the discipline

I wonder if he is, perhaps, so dominant that whatever he does no longer ‘stands out’ enough in a single year appraisal (Especially if the general public are inured to swimming success stories by headlines about athletes who win 6, 7 or 8 Golds in a meet)? Maybe his best chance will be a Lifetime Achievement award when he retires and people can appreciate how ridiculous his results/times have been over many years?
Sadly I agree, it’s down to public interest and perception.

He should be used as a role model for kids to get active.

I see SPOTY as a bit of fun and the BBC do a good job with it.
Even the tribute to those who have died in the past year is good as some of those people deserve to be recognised and without SPOTY their passing would go unnoticed.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cannot believe that none of the England rugby team are in it. You could pick any of the Saracens contingent who won everything domestically plus reached the world cup final. Even if Farrell is seen as too controversial then Itoje should have been in the list. Team sport achievement wise the Saracens players achieved more than Sterling. Guessing the salary cap issues may have ruled them out.

D

Deleted member 15344

Great shouts on Adam Peaty and for me he should be there instead of AWJ

I do like they have gone back to 6 people though

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I suspect t
Cannot believe that none of the England rugby team are in it. You could pick any of the Saracens contingent who won everything domestically plus reached the world cup final. Even if Farrell is seen as too controversial then Itoje should have been in the list. Team sport achievement wise the Saracens players achieved more than Sterling. Guessing the salary cap issues may have ruled them out.

I suspect that you are right - cheats (and unfortunately for them the players comprise the whole) should not be seen to prosper.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Can't argue with that.