Can beginners apply to join a club?/club advice

Coldste

Visit site
(Sorry this is a little long)

Hey all I’m new here and new to golf in general. I’ve been wanting to play golf for at least 7 or 8 years, ever since I got a golf ball in a Christmas cracker, when ever I pass a golf course it makes me want to play. I’ve been watching a few lesson/tips shows on Sky Sports golf channel as well as watching the current Turkish Airlines Open. It’s made me finally decide to take golf lessons, I don’t plan on trying to become a pro I just want to play for fun. I’m looking at taking lessons in the new year (2020). Which ever club I take lessons at will probably be the one I use the most. For those of you that’s been playing and have been members of clubs would you be able to give you views on what seems the better club. I’ve got included links to both respected clubs if you wish to see more. Also as a beginner would it be considered bad etiquette if after I’ve had some lessons to apply for membership?

There’s two clubs I was thinking about. One is called Eastham Lodge golf club which I’m leaning more to. It’s got great transport links bus stops near enough right outside the place and it’s within walking distance only a 30 minute walk. This club has it's latest fees out for 2020 and it’s seems really cheaply only £450 for an intermediate membership that’s for 25-30 (I’m 26) or it’s £850 for full membership there’s no joining fee either. Plus it appears you can play at upto 4 other courses as part of your membership.

The other club is Bromborough Golf Club which seems more posh going by its website. The only bad side is buses don’t stop near it’s a twenty minute walk from the nearest bus stop and it’s a 30 minute walk from where I live. They’re pretty steep at Colt 25-29 £760 for 7 day playing rights, and that’s not including the additional fees. Don’t know what “colt” means, but it doesn’t let you play at other courses, but has other benefits like competitions.

https://www.easthamlodgegolfclub.co.uk/
https://www.bromboroughgolfclub.org.uk/

IanMcC

Visit site
Hi Coldste. Welcome to the forum. I believe you have answered your own question regarding the best one to join. But you should not go parting with your hard earned £££ quite yet. I would phone up both clubs regarding lessons and book yourself in for 3 or 4 lessons with the one that gives you the best feel. You dont say if you have any irons yet. Maybe one of the courses do not supply practice clubs for newbies. There could be any number of reasons that one club is better for you at the moment than the other. Do not feel obliged to join at the course where you had the lessons. There is no doubt that Bromborough is a better course. I played it about 18 months ago. Eastham Lodge I played about 8 years ago I think. (I play in North Wales.) But you should definitely join (when and if you feel the game is really for you) the most convenient, which is Eastham Lodge. Once you get your handicap there, and fall in love with the game good and proper, you can always move on to Bromborough if Eastham Lodge becomes less challenging.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As above....check both courses out. And the availability of lessons.
Purely from a playing perspective, as a beginner, Eastham would probably be the better bet.
Eastham looks a little more open than Bromborough and would be a gentler introduction.
Bromborough has some quite long holes and is well over 6k yards. Eastham looks "friendlier" for the beginner.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It comes down to a simple statement often heard

'Everybody has to start somewhere'

The modern handicapping system caters for beginners so it is just a simple matter of the attitude of the club and you do not know if. you do not ask.

With a lot of clubs these days it's all about the money and a lot will now welcome anybody particularly if they are like you 'relatively young and willing to learn'.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
only you can decide which club suits you best, but the other point.. of course you can how are you ever going to learn to play without playing?

Join and get stuck in. My first exp of golf was at a cricket club golf day, i'd never even picked up a club before and played and loved it. wenta couple more times with a mate and then joined. i didn't know anyone at the club or the Rules and ettiq, got stuck in got my handicap as soon as i could.

join the best for you and get stuck in(y)(y)

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in the same boat a couple of years ago and decided to join my first club, locality was key in joining my currect club, like said above play both check out the club house facility's ect and make your choice, since your new to the game I'd go with the closest course and see how you feel in your first year while playing some others

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brombourough is quite a tough course for a beginner.
Eastham less so
My advice to all beginners is try and make sure you can at least hit the ball to a reasonable standard before joining a club.
Just to make sure you can at least get it round the course.
You could do this by hitting 7 iron off the tee.
Transport is key ,because if it’s difficult to get there and home it may put you off going in some circumstances rain ,cold etc.
The benefit of membership is practice you can play / practice whenever you like so getting there easy is key imo.
So cost is important while you learn the game ( it does take a while) depending on your natural ability.
I would go for Eastham and just enjoy your golf.
Once you improve you can go anywhere you want .
Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get the lessons, and use the winter to bed in the swing. I don't know either club but as a general point of view, most inland (not links) courses get wet and muddy in the winter and it's a hard place to learn to play on a course. There is nothing to stop you making the most of any deals at the moment but I think you would be better off having lessons getting the basics right and rocking up next year more confident in your ability

Swango1980

Visit site
Absolutely join a club, clubs like ours (and many more) would welcome you with open arms. As said, everyone has to start somewhere. The best way to get experience is to join a club. Some clubs may be better geared for beginners. Cheaper, easier to casually turn up and go for a knock around on your own for practice (rather than having to book a tee slot as it is always busy), etc. I don't know the 2 clubs you mentioned, but as has been said, you could always go up, or phone them, and find out more.

I would say, no matter what your ability, join a club if you can get out for some practice rounds. So long as you look after the course (replace divots, rake bunkers, repair pitch marks, let people through if slow), then there is no issue at all with that. To play in competitions, you will probably want to have a few lessons and practice rounds just to gauge what your ability is. Then, compare it to the results on previous competitions if that helps give you confidence in joining in (but hopefully you'll meet members and they will help you settle right in). You'll also need to get a handicap, where you need to submit 3 signed cards, although some clubs, like ours, allow new members to get such cards signed whilst playing in a competition (albeit, they cannot win as they do not have a handicap). What I would say is this, DO NOT compare yourself to the guys on TV to judge if you are good enough, that nearly stopped me from entering comps when I was new. If you can even hit the ball half the distance they hit (literally) and can knock the ball around in 30-40 more shots, you're not going to look out of place on the leaderboard at most clubs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We run an academy programme for new golfers which includes social membership initially and once you pass the course you're guaranteed entry into the club https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/join-us/academy-and-juniors/

For those joining, and the academy scheme is by no means the only criteria of entry, just a way to play and learn with players of similar ability, then we have a great buddy scheme to help people join the club smoothly https://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/join-us/buddy-scheme/ and find regular games of golf. Nothing to stop you joining, putting three handicap cards in and getting involved in competitions or simply enjoying some social rounds and continue to learn the game and the course

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eastham can get a bit boggy in the winter (clay based iirc)
Don’t know how close you are to arrowe park, but that’s a decent starter course.
Best to start out easy, try and borrow some clubs before shelling out. Golf can get expensive real quick!
Get yourself up to a driving range and have a whack. Then when more confident, try a course when it’s quiet. Golf now/tee off times is a great website to get yourself some cheap rounds also

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
@Coldste - lots of good advice already given so won't reiterate - but just noting your closing words '... but has other benefits like competitions'

Every club in the country runs some form of competitions as basically that is how you get your handicap - you play in what's referred to as (handicap) 'qualifying' rounds. Though a player can pop in what are called 'supplementary' cards as indicators towards your handicap, these are just that - they 'supplement' the scores you enter through 'qualifying' rounds.

So when looking at clubs and comparing them, don't think that just because one club says they provide X for members and another doesn't say so, don't conclude that the latter doesn't actually provide X - it might well do so. Also be a little wary about what clubs might advertise as 'great benefits' as often these are more eye-catching rather than of any great benefit.

My own view is that were I new to golf and looking to join a club I’d look for one that looked right for me that had an Academy. You’ll then be learning the game with a group just as new to the game as yourself and so much less daunting. And if you like the feel of the place you can join in time - maybe along with one or more other academy members.

And remember - unlike owning a puppy, a golf club membership needn't be for life. We are allowed to move around :)

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Echo some of the other advice, but is Ellesmere port (Hooton) still going, which was a municipal?

Some munis have clubs attached so that could be a good interim option, as the joining fee for that would probably be less than £100.00, you would have access to weekend morning tee times, comps and you would just pay your green fees when you play (possibly also discounted).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eastham can get a bit boggy in the winter (clay based iirc)
Don’t know how close you are to arrowe park, but that’s a decent starter course.
Best to start out easy, try and borrow some clubs before shelling out. Golf can get expensive real quick!
Get yourself up to a driving range and have a whack. Then when more confident, try a course when it’s quiet. Golf now/tee off times is a great website to get yourself some cheap rounds also
Arrow park good shout.
Is Bracken wood still going havnt Played there for years.?

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Arrowe Park and Brackenwood are both still going but at this time of year are both on the boggy side but Bromborough is also not great at this time of year, not sure were you live Coldste or wether you drive or not but having been a member at Eastham many years ago i would say its probably your best bet as its a lot shorter than Bromborough and you only need a driver on a few holes.

Have you been to a driving range yet as most driving ranges have professionals about who can give you lessons over the winter months.

Feel free to message me as i live on the Wirral and if i can help out in any way i will.