6 Nations 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Well it’s nearly time for one of my favourite times in the sporting calendar- 6 Nations

England have just release their squad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46904505

Shame Underhill is injured but glad Robson finally been given a chance , England do look strong but probably second favourites behind Ireland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46891982 - no real issues with lots of experienced quality players the first game between the two has the potential to be a barnstormer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46858859 - Scotland imo will end up third , their clubs are doing well and the nation team are very steady at the moment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46877296 - Wales and France I think will fight it out for 4/5 spot leaving Italy propping up the table again

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wales Vs England 23rd February. My 40th Birthday! Just sayin! Don't contact me until March!!

I think this year is Irelands personally, we shall see!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
England hugely reliant on keeping a handful of key performers fit and id be utterly amazed if they have much of their first choice side left by the end of this, far too many carrying injuries or returning from long term injuries and the schedule some of them are playing to is just not sustainable. Benefit/hindrance of the domestic game starting to become a much bigger factor.

At some point the club v country argument has to be better resolved and resulting in quality over quantity, until that happens England going to be at a continued disadvantage and more and more players careers are going to get cut short.

Cant see past Ireland personally especially with them having home advantage against England who also have to go to Wales. Would be good for the competition to see an improved France team too

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
England hugely reliant on keeping a handful of key performers fit and id be utterly amazed if they have much of their first choice side left by the end of this, far too many carrying injuries or returning from long term injuries and the schedule some of them are playing to is just not sustainable. Benefit/hindrance of the domestic game starting to become a much bigger factor.

At some point the club v country argument has to be better resolved and resulting in quality over quantity, until that happens England going to be at a continued disadvantage and more and more players careers are going to get cut short.

Cant see past Ireland personally especially with them having home advantage against England who also have to go to Wales. Would be good for the competition to see an improved France team too

Agree that the home advantage is huge, though can see Ireland beating England and Twickenham if it was played there. Really think that the home/away thing should be mixed up a bit more rather than playing the same fixtures each year.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the Scottish squad I would be pleased to finish fourth.
Hopefully Gregor can unearth a few more gems and prove me wrong.;)
Kerr, who you have picked at hooker is a good prospect. Showing promise in an underperforming Tigers team at the moment.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really too fussed who wins I just like the spectacle and good games, obviously England would be nice but they always seem to blow it on the big stage. Saying that I am slightly in the ABS camp :LOL:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ireland to win at a canter....

...I used to enjoy this competition.... but its 2 months of the year where all my usually friendly and rational Welsh neighbours turn into loonies! Wales winning, that's no good, they get all panicky that it'll blow up, Wales losing, they are all in a megga sulk 24x7! England beat Wales, they are in mourning till Xmas!

At least I spend the working week in Southampton so I can escape the madeness! ;)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Excited as always and a kind list of fixtures for Scotland starting at home to Italy. We're crippled by injury this year with real shortage at hooker.

Ireland will likely fight out with England for top spot. Can see Scotland being 3rd but equally can see us 5th.

D

Deleted member 1418

Ireland start as clear favourites BUT will they have an eye on the World Cup and potentially use the 6 Nations to give new players more experience? Will they wrap a few key players up in cotton wool - certainly can do that against Italy but risky against the other nations.

Or will they adopt England's approach in 03 and look to beat everyone for another Grand Slam and go into WC as joint favourites with the All Blacks?

England's squad on paper looks impressive and strong, but as others have said, there's always at least 2 or 3 who fall by the wayside with injuries. Would love to see Manu fully fit and play all 5 games. But they key for me is how will Eddie Jones have them playiby? There's some serious pace and talent in the backs.

As for the others the only clear thing for me is Italy finishing last yet again - getting boring now IMO. Wales, Scotland and France all capable of winning their home games and competing away from home.

All goes to show why it's such a great competition and quite rightly the best in the World - far better than that southern hemisphere rubbish where it's just NZ winning every year (isn't that right Cam? 😉😂😂😂😂)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does anyone think there should be a Six Nations 2 [second division] with promotion and relegation.
Proper rugby seems to be growing quickly with some unlikely countries becoming quite good.
Perhaps include Russia in the mix.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does anyone think there should be a Six Nations 2 [second division] with promotion and relegation.
Proper rugby seems to be growing quickly with some unlikely countries becoming quite good.
It's a good idea in theory. Out of interest how many other European nations play the game to a decent standard. Aside from Russian and don't Romania play, who else plays to a level where it would be competitive. The only issue I can see with a second tier and promotion would be the new boys would be whipping boys, more so than Italy

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Georgia would be about the next best team in europe, Germany are developing and the southern european nations are building in the 7s game. Still think there is more of a case to going back to 5 nations than there is for a tier 2. Italy were let in a few years too late and have not pushed on as hoped.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Excited as always and a kind list of fixtures for Scotland starting at home to Italy. We're crippled by injury this year with real shortage at hooker.

Ireland will likely fight out with England for top spot. Can see Scotland being 3rd but equally can see us 5th.
Another decent performance from Kerr today. If you pick him I do not think he will let you down