6 Nations

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst it's true that the likes of NZ would have punished the errors, they weren't playing NZ, you can only play what's in front of you.
Game plan for all 3 of the winning sides on Saturday would be totally different in a world cup game vs SH opposition.

Heaslip's try saving tackle on Hogg was unbelievable. Such a crucial moment, that was what made it just a little too far for England.

I think England Wales and Ireland can all look to the World Cup with some optimism. I expect Oz aren't looking forward to having to face England and Wales in the group.
France and Scotland, not much reason to be cheerful.

Totally agree, talk about how a Southern Hemisphere team would pounce on the errors is wide of the mark in that Saturday had a unique set of circumstances that will rarely be repeated and you would never play like that in most matches. Simple fact is that Wales had to score big and had to play out and out attack, they did that and set a very high bar. This, in turn, meant that Ireland had to play out and out attack to get past that score and did even better which meant that England had no choice but to go all out for a big win. All credit to France who were not competing for anything then and could have capitulted or just shut up shop but they decided to play as well leaving a great game of open rugby.

That Saturday was a one off set of circumstances that has no bearing on how any team would perform against Southern hemisphere opposition. Simple fact is that any of the top 8 or 9 teams can beat each other on a given day with any perceived gap in abilility levelled by the european teams having the advantage of home conditions. It will be close, Australia, England or Wales could conceivably not get past the group stages and Ireland could easily go on to win it if they can keep players fit (they are not as good without Sexton on the pitch)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought Scotland had a pretty good Championship.......apart from the results.
A big improvement in the team, we just need another half a dozen decent players and we will be a game for anyone in the Northern hemisphere.
Edinburgh and Glasgow have improved a lot this year.
Jam tomorrow.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly wish that Hogg had a secret English granny. Would put him in at fullback without a thought, class player. Too many comnents about england butchering chances against scotland, it was Hogg who out and out stopped a few.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A big improvement in the team, we just need another half a dozen decent players and we will be a game for anyone in the Northern hemisphere.
Jam tomorrow.

I agree with what you say about Scotland but not about Edinburgh or Glasgow, Edinburgh have had a poor season mainly due to a horrid start to the season, Glasgow have been equally as good as last year although they will do well to equal last years exploits due to the tough run in to the play offs.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Certainly wish that Hogg had a secret English granny. Would put him in at fullback without a thought, class player. Too many comnents about england butchering chances against scotland, it was Hogg who out and out stopped a few.

He was the best full back in the 6 nations championship this year for my money. Johnny Gray would also fit into any side at lock.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jam tomorrow.
Totally agree, think they are good enough to compete with the best. . Not necessarily win but they will by no means disgrace themselves and with a bit of luck could cause some upsets. Thought they played some exciting rugby which was refreshing.

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jam tomorrow.
Played 5 lost 5..Sure if England had played like that at Rugby or Football, don't think you would be saying they would have had a pretty good championship...Thought the Scots were very poor.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played 5 lost 5..Sure if England had played like that at Rugby or Football, don't think you would be saying they would have had a pretty good championship...Thought the Scots were very poor.

Poor in 2 games, unlucky in 2 and played ok against England.

Fine margins in international sport.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poor in 2 games, unlucky in 2 and played ok against England.

Fine margins in international sport.

And that was the really frustrating bit, having been so unlucky in the first two games having played really well I expected them to kick on but they just went backwards, ah well always next season :p

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a joke, Jeff Powell just doesn't realise it.
Yep it's written by a half wit in a comic.

The comparison between football and rugby doesn't really work on any level.

What lawes did was hard, borderline and risky, but ultimately fair.

He gets that wrong and he's off permanently, but rugby is all about playing on the limit.