British & Irish Lions Tour 2017

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39624348

So it seems that a couple of journos are saying that the squad is being leaked

Joseph and Launchbury IMO should be in the squad

No surprise if Hartley doesnt get picked as he isnt even the best hooker in England

If i would to go for the starting 15 right now at a guess i would go

1. Furlong
2. Best
3. Vunipola
4. Itodje
5. Kruis
6. O Brien
7. Stander
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Farrell
13. Davies
14. Watson
15. Hogg

Last edited by a moderator:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: British Lions Tour 2017

This is Gatland that we are talking about so strong Welsh presence is going to be guaranteed irrespective of form. Expect AWJ in the second row, Warburton on the flank if fit and would not be shocked to see Faletau. North not worth a start but will get one and Davies is not who I would pick but sounds like Joseph is not going to be on the plane. Sadly we are going to lose all 3 tests

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

This is Gatland that we are talking about so strong Welsh presence is going to be guaranteed irrespective of form. Expect AWJ in the second row, Warburton on the flank if fit and would not be shocked to see Faletau. North not worth a start but will get one and Davies is not who I would pick but sounds like Joseph is not going to be on the plane. Sadly we are going to lose all 3 tests

Agreed. I also don't get the hype for Rory best, he's no better than Hartley. I also believe that Farrell is a better 10 then Sexton and all that will keep Sexton at 10 is Murray at 9.

I believe Scotland should have more than Hogg in the squad but fancy that may be it. This is probably one of the best potential lions squads but it won't be with the coach the squad deserves.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39624348

So it seems that a couple of journos are saying that the squad is being leaked

Joseph and Launchbury IMO should be in the squad

No surprise if Hartley doesnt get picked as he isnt even the best hooker in England

If i would to go for the starting 15 right now at a guess i would go

1. Furlong
2. Best
3. Vunipola
4. Itodje
5. Kruis
6. O Brien
7. Stander
8. Vunipola
9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Farrell
13. Davies
14. Watson
15. Hogg

You have Stander and OBrien the wrong way round. Pedantic I know.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Agreed. I also don't get the hype for Rory best, he's no better than Hartley. I also believe that Farrell is a better 10 then Sexton and all that will keep Sexton at 10 is Murray at 9.

I believe Scotland should have more than Hogg in the squad but fancy that may be it. This is probably one of the best potential lions squads but it won't be with the coach the squad deserves.

Certainly would find it easier to argue for a few more Scots in the team than i would to argue for any of the Welsh team to be in the starting 15. Think there are better choices across the board than any of the current Welsh side but would bet there are 4-5 in the starting 15 with another 2-3 on the bench

D

Deleted member 1147

If fit when the first test comes around I would go for:

1 - Marler
2 - George
3 - Furlong
4 - AWJ
5 - Itoje
6 - Stander
7 - Warburton
8 - Vunipola
9 - Murray
10 - Sexton
11 - Wade
12 - Farrell
13 - Joseph
14 - North
15 - Hogg

16 - Vunipola
17 - Hartley
18 - Sinkler
19 - Henderson
20 - Faletau
21 - Webb
22 - Henshaw
23 - Daly

But I imagine there will be more Welshmen, probably Jamie Roberts for his ability to run into the opposition, and Gethin Jenkins for his ability to be Gethin Jenkins.
The Scottish scrumhalf (captain & kicker), forgot his name, would be a good squad option for the leadership & additional kicking option, but I think he is still injured.
Agree about Best, he isn't a good enough thrower at the lineout to go against the ABs (Whitelock & Read in particular).
Wade is my outsider, I think he is an excellent wing who is overlooked by England, and he did manage to get into the squad in Oz following injuries etc so maybe Warren likes him.
I've also gone for a power pack as sub's as Warrenball will need bulk among the "finishers". Mako, Sinkler, Ian Henderson & Henshaw are all big hitters to come on late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm old fashioned. I like centres and wings who run around people, not over them. Gatland is a battering ram type of coach though so his choices wont be mine in that dept.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Could see Ashton as a wildcard choice for wing

Couldn't disagree there, why he consistently gets over looked by England is a mystery. His summer moves stops the mystery though.

im more interest in his centre choices, if we see T'eo get the nod expect Farrell at 10 with Henshaw at 12 and normal Gatland ball trying to break the all blacks and fail spectacularly.

D

Deleted member 1418

Like with all Lions squads, the players who should go don't necessarily given the four home unions all trying to get as many of their players on the tour as possible. Launchbury shortlisted for 6N player of the tournament and not being picked is madness - he was fantastic and fully deserves to be on the plane. Bar their disaster against England I thought Scotland were great and therefore should have a greater number of players than they will actually get.

Shame as I think if the squad was picked on form then the test series could be closer than people think.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Pretty disgraceful if true. Also hearing rumours that he has picked Jamie Roberts who could not even get a start for Wales and has been no more than average for Quin's. That would be embarrassing, i would pick any centre from the 4 nations ahead of Roberts. If he is going to try and batter NZ we will lose but then again that is always Gatlands plan A and he has no plan B

D

Deleted member 1418

Pretty disgraceful if true. Also hearing rumours that he has picked Jamie Roberts who could not even get a start for Wales and has been no more than average for Quin's. That would be embarrassing, i would pick any centre from the 4 nations ahead of Roberts. If he is going to try and batter NZ we will lose but then again that is always Gatlands plan A and he has no plan B

Yes BBC website reporting that Hartley misses out but Roberts in. Crazy. I would take Hartley over Best.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't expect anything other than a Welsh bias from Gatland for the squad. It seems he's taken a similar approach to picking a squad to the likes of Ericsson et al....picking your favourite buddies over performance and form values.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Centre line up includes Roberts, Te'o, Davies, Daly, Henshaw and the one he got right IMO is Farrell as a 10 with Sexton and Biggar (who isn't even the best 10 at Ospreys). All that said those big boys have Gatland ball written all over it, bish bash bosh. You won't beat the all blacks like that.

Now, the only Scot getting in is Hogg, this will be from the Scotland team that beat Wales who look to supply 12 and Ireland who look to supply 12 also, baffling but not surprising. Keith Earls ahead of both Seymour and Maitland, Kruis ahead of both Grays despite not being fit (ok a fit Kruis should walk in but a fit Kruis would see Lawes not playing but he also makes the squad). Hamish Watson also missing out despite being the stand out openside of the 6 nations.

I have to say this is all a rumour leaked to the Telegraph, we'll find out for sure today.

D

Deleted member 15344

All the rumours of the squad are very troubling - having only one scot in the squad is insulting to how well they have played this year and it all smack of Gatland ignoring the 6 Nations and going back to 4 years ago

Roberts , Halfpenny , Falateu etc have been poor all 6 nations and indeed during the Autumn Internationals. Owens , Tiperic , Williams , Warburton are prob the ones that deserve a place - the rest deabatable.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not just the 6N Phil, look at the Glasgow side and how well they performed in Europe particularly away in Paris and Leicester.

Fraser Brown has had an outstanding season for both Glasgow and Scotland but his defining moment is likely to be his yellow card at Twickenham. He's easily been a better hooker than Best this season but he won't get a sniff and similar could be said about Jamie George

D

Deleted member 1147

Falatau may have been poor in the 6Ns (when coming back from injury - probably too soon) but his form since then has been very good - the class player in most Bath matches in recent times.

I can also understand the choice of Halfpenny, he may not have been great but it gives another goal kicker besides the flyhalf - useful when you consider what a tough schedule they have and the likelyhood of Sexton getting himself hurt a few times a game.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Falatau may have been poor in the 6Ns (when coming back from injury - probably too soon) but his form since then has been very good - the class player in most Bath matches in recent times.

I can also understand the choice of Halfpenny, he may not have been great but it gives another goal kicker besides the flyhalf - useful when you consider what a tough schedule they have and the likelyhood of Sexton getting himself hurt a few times a game.

Falatau has been excellent for Bath and I'd have no issues with him. 1/2P on the other hand has been average and given Sexton and Farrell are handy with the boot as is Hogg then 1/2P should be injury cover only, His best days are behind him IMO