• Start date
D

Deleted member 1418

Re: British Lions Tour 2017

Warburton captain again.

D

Deleted member 15344

Props: Dan Cole, Tadhg Furlong, Joe Marler, Jack McGrath, Kyle Sinckler, Mako Vunipola.

Hookers: Rory Best, Jamie George, Ken Owens.

Locks: Iain Henderson, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones, George Kruis, Courtney Lawes.

Back rows: Taulupe Faletau, Ross Moriarty, Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony, CJ Stander, Justin Tipuric, Billy Vunipola, Sam Warburton (c).

Scrum-halves: Conor Murray, Rhys Webb, Ben Youngs.

Fly-halves: Dan Biggar, Owen Farrell, Jonathan Sexton.

Centres: Jonathan Davies, Robbie Henshaw, Jonathan Joseph, Ben Te'o.

Back three: Elliot Daly, Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, George North, Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Tommy Seymour, Anthony Watson, Liam Williams.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Very refreshing to see the Lions squad reflects the recent 6 Nations tables as regards country representation.....

Biggar, Halfpenny and Webb.......oh that's right it's their national coach in charge.
Still don't know what Launchbury has to do to get a place.....perhaps turn Welsh ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Rhys Webb was always going to go as soon as Laidlaw was injured

Halfpenny and Biggar going is just a case of going with what he knows - would even take Brown over Halfpenny and Russell instead of Biggar

Launchbury not going is a joke

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Rhys Webb was always going to go as soon as Laidlaw was injured

Halfpenny and Biggar going is just a case of going with what he knows - would even take Brown over Halfpenny and Russell instead of Biggar

Launchbury not going is a joke

Brown over halfpenny? not a chance. Brown is on the decline, even at club level, IMO.

Russell over biggar, I wouldn't object to that. The benefit I could possibly see to Biggar is that he is dependable, and plays Gatlands system. Could be useful for the weekday matches, and helping get the other F/h's up to speed for Gatland.

I see the complaints about Launchbury, but Eng already have 3 second rows. Who is being dropped? Or do you honestly think there are 4 english locks that are better than all bar one of the rest of the countries? Genuinely be interested in who you all would drop.

Biggest team who could complain in my eyes are Scotland, the only issue they have, I guess, is that there aren't multiple tournaments of strong play to base the picks on.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Disgusted but not surprised. I wasn't expecting a dozen Scottish players but 2, really? Hamish Watson gave that Welsh back row a lesson at Murrayfield and do 2 Welsh 8's deserve a place?

Always tough to pick a squad and always going to divide opinion but 12 Welsh players more Welsh than players from Ireland? Shocking.

D

Deleted member 1147

Brown over halfpenny? not a chance. Brown is on the decline, even at club level, IMO.

I see the complaints about Launchbury, but Eng already have 3 second rows. Who is being dropped? Or do you honestly think there are 4 english locks that are better than all bar one of the rest of the countries? Genuinely be interested in who you all would drop.

Even Jiffy suggested that if an English 2nd row (one of 4) was left behind he would be justified in feeling very hard done to!

Launchbury & Lawes have been excellent for England this year, Itoje & Kruis are always excellent when playing together for either club or country. That said, AWJ was always going (and rightly so) and Henderson is a great impact player (I even put him on my bench in post # 7). The Grey brothers must also feel hard done to, but I suppose lock is just a very good position for the home nations!

With regards to Full back, Brown is not the answer and as I said before maybe Halfpenny is there as another kicking option (mid-week perhaps).

D

Deleted member 1147

No Heaslip, is he injured?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Only 2 Scots and far to many second rate Welsh did Gaitland not watch the 6 nations or the Champions Cup, Warburton isn't even fit yet and he's the captain , poor show

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

arguably the wrong captain, the wrong squad and almost certainly be the wrong tactics too, hard to remember a lions tour ive looked forward to less!

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site

Good to see Wales' demolition of Scotland during the 6N rewarded with 12 slots in the 2017 tour, compared to Scotland's 2........... oh wait!!

This selection is utterly bemusing and it's going to be hard to warm to it.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

Disgusted but not surprised. I wasn't expecting a dozen Scottish players but 2, really? Hamish Watson gave that Welsh back row a lesson at Murrayfield and do 2 Welsh 8's deserve a place?

Always tough to pick a squad and always going to divide opinion but 12 Welsh players more Welsh than players from Ireland? Shocking.

Pretty much sums it up for me!

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldn't have taken AWJ or Lawes and had Launchbury and as Val said Watson or one the Grays.
It's not really a surprise so many Welsh because it's Gatland. And instead of Halfpenny if not Brown you can take Zebo

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

To play devils advocate, Gatland and his Welsh team were unlucky not to win 2 out of 3 tests last time they toured. Those players and tactics were effective before and those players will have a belied that NZ can be beaten in their own back yard.

That said, I cannot see this being the final squad. There are some tough matches still left this season and the match this weekend between Munster and Saracens will be a bruising encounter. Could still be a few changes before the team leaves for NZ and then a few more as the tour goes on.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So, the usual objections based on where you were born!

........bloomin nora, no LAUNCHBURY?????????????????????????????????????????:D

No the objections are that Gatland picked his boys rather than players on form. Launchbury and either of the Grays would have been more deserving likewise Ryan who has been superb for Munster and Ireland

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site

No the objections are that Gatland picked his boys rather than players on form. Launchbury and either of the Grays would have been more deserving likewise Ryan who has been superb for Munster and Ireland

Correct. This selection is not based on result or form, more around who Gatland can shoe-horn into his preconceived strategy. Obviously the welsh have the advantage of already having been shaped to the mould.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Correct. This selection is not based on result or form, more around who Gatland can shoe-horn into his preconceived strategy. Obviously the welsh have the advantage of already having been shaped to the mould.

And the cynic in me that read the unions receive £70k per player picked would suggest Gatland has pandered to his employers

D

Deleted member 1418

Lock was always going to be highly contested, but for Kruis to go over the others that played in the 6N is very harsh IMO, irrespective as to how good he is.

Also Warburton as Captain is a very brave call considering that I think Stander had a better 6N than him, as well as Tipuric. I think a fully fit Warburton is a fantastic player, but sincerely hope we don't have another Fitzgerald 83 scenario whereby the captain isn't necessarily the best in his position.

Got to give Gatland the benefit of the doubt though seeing as he is a Lions tour winning coach.