British & Irish Lions Tour 2017

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Re: British Lions Tour 2017

Given the short term nature of a Lions Tour, then surely it is vital that Gatland takes the players to fit the system rather than the other way round...

Scholes - Gerrard - Lampard, anyone?

D

Deleted member 15344

Given the short term nature of a Lions Tour, then surely it is vital that Gatland takes the players to fit the system rather than the other way round...

Scholes - Gerrard - Lampard, anyone?

Or you show your abilities by picking the best players and finding a system that suits them

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I understand that viewpoint, think my lack of enthusiasm is that it is clearly the same old plan/type of rugby from Gatland and I don't think that's good enough to get the job done against NZ, I'd love to be proved wrong though.

A lot of competition for places, especially in the second row and you can't take everyone. Biggar is the really odd one for me and illustrates Gatlands "plan B is more of plan A" approach, not entirely sure he offers anything different for the Test series to make an impact off the bench. In fact I'd be amazed if there was ever a situation he would put Biggar at 10 ahead of Farrell if something happened to Sexton so why not take someone who offers something a little different (toss a coin between Ford and Russell, probably Ford if Farrell is starting 12)........

I'm far from an expert though :)

D

Deleted member 1147

... surely it is vital that Gatland takes the players to fit the system rather than the other way round ...

A system that he never beat NZ with during his tenure as Wales head coach.

Perhaps using different types of players in a more imaginative system could give us a chance against the ABs. Afterall the Aussies were dire and they could have easily won the first two tests last time out, but for the lack of a decent goalkicker.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm just pleased Gatland is not English. The lack of Scots in the team when they have actually had a good 6 nations is a little odd to me.

I agree with your comment FD. One of the pleasing things is that despite the comments otherwise Joseph is in the side. His display of running against Scotland alone should have booked him a place. At least he is not another standard wham bam centre / winger.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Scotland hammer Wales 29-16 in the six nations.
Scotland 2 lions players selected Wales 12.

aye right.

Watson and J.Gray should have been included as a minimum.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think he will go with

Hogg
Daly
Davies
Farrell
North
Sexton
Murray

Vunipola
Owens
Furlong
Kruis/AWJ
Itodje
Warburton
OBrien/OMahoney
Vunipola

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd go for:
Marler, George, Furlong
AWJ, Itoji
Stander, O'Mahoney, Vunipola
Murray, Sexton
Henshaw, Joseph
North, Hogg, Nowell
Subs:
Mako, Owens, Sinkler
Lawes, Falatau, Warburton
Youngs, Farrell

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site

There's an issue with the thread title that was pointed out at the beginning of the thread in post#5 that has so far being ignored.

There's 11 Irish players in the squad.

British and Irish Lions 2017

Simples

Last edited: