British & Irish Lions Tour 2017

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree that Billy will be a huge miss, I think he will start Faletau in the tests at 8, Haskell has an excellent work ethic and is a strong tackler, but I dont think he will start, I think Tipuric will start in the tests.

U

User62651

Really looking forward to this as apposed to those overpaid prima-donnas who fall over in a gust of wind.

Assuming its on Sky Sports :(and at 6am GMT or whatever:(? - are you getting up for all the tests?

Notice 6 matches in 3 weeks before they even get to the first test -is that wise in terms of tiredness/injury risk? Surely these provincial sides will be all out to 'do maximum damage' ahead of the tests?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Assuming its on Sky Sports :(and at 6am GMT or whatever:(? - are you getting up for all the tests?

Notice 6 matches in 3 weeks before they even get to the first test -is that wise in terms of tiredness/injury risk? Surely these provincial sides will be all out to 'do maximum damage' ahead of the tests?

8.30 starts and yes ill be up and raring.

Full english with a pint of guiness did someone say.....

as for the schedule thinks its the shortest recently for a lions tour, they will be taking a big squad and adding to it as needed, always lose a few through injury before the tests, this will be no different

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think I'll head to golf club for them, can watch at home, but for the last tour there was a great atmosphere at the club and plenty in to watch, was great craic.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

The days of provincial sides 'softening up' touring test sides are long gone!

That said, they are playing 5 great sides, so it'll be fast, entertaining and quite possibly rather severe tests prior to the actual Tests! Refereeing - and small differences in interpretation from what each side is used to - will be an important factor, as it always is!

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Lions Tour

2nd game of the tour tomorrow morning 8.30ish (BST) against the Auckland Blues which should be a tough test for Gatland's troops.
After scraping a win against the NZ Ba Ba's in first game, in a unconvincing performance, which considering they only arrived 3 days before was probably to be expected, there is opportunity for other squad members to stake a claim.

A bit one dimensional on Saturday.Looking for the welsh half back pairing of Webb and Biggar to make an impact and the irish centre partnership of Henshaw and Payne.

5 games before the 1st test against the All Blacks.

My concern is that Gatland seems very set in his ways about the game he wants to play which NZ should know how to deal with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Re: The Lions Tour

With five games to the first test, it'll be important to get the potential first XV of that game playing and playing well but not at the risk of fatigue and injury so it'll be a balancing act. I wonder if Gatland will experiment tomorrow or stick to the tired and tested formula

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Tough game tomorrow against probably the weakest of the NZ super rugby y franchises. I wouldn't read too much into tomorrow's game, our game next week against the Crusaiders might give you an idea of a likely test line up

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

With five games to the first test, it'll be important to get the potential first XV of that game playing and playing well but not at the risk of fatigue and injury so it'll be a balancing act. I wonder if Gatland will experiment tomorrow or stick to the tired and tested formula

Gatland has stated he is ensuring every player in the 41 gets a start in the build up games, tomorrow won't be close to the test starting side.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Tough game tomorrow against probably the weakest of the NZ super rugby y franchises. I wouldn't read too much into tomorrow's game, our game next week against the Crusaiders might give you an idea of a likely test line up

But ideal to get the legs stretched for a few. I'd expect a 15-20 point advantage in a win tomorrow

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But ideal to get the legs stretched for a few. I'd expect a 15-20 point advantage in a win tomorrow

Not a chance, I fully expect us to lose and would be surprised if we didn't. Blues are no mugs and with SBW and 7 other All Blacks in their side we won't get an easy ride.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The Lions looked a bit pedestrian, which you would expect for an early game.
The Regional team looked pretty smart and sharp, if that is a sign for things to come we need to improve PDQ.

D

Deleted member 15344

If this is the weakest Super Rugby team then it's going to be a long tour

D

Deleted member 15344

Just poor mistakes and some very basic as well especially when pressure is being applied

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

The Lions looked a bit pedestrian, which you would expect for an early game.
The Regional team looked pretty smart and sharp, if that is a sign for things to come we need to improve PDQ.

+1

And - Sonny Bill Williams's magic notwithstanding - The Blues are not the most dynamic team in NZ!

3 Tries to 1 against does not auger well!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Sexton again poor with the ball - kicked far too many high balls which have just given away possession.

The forwards have done a lot of good hard work especially at set pieces with a number of them playing their way into the test team but behind them they have been poor bar Webb

Farrell looking a certain for the 10 slot without even starting

The Lions can't score that try because it's not in the make up of Gatland crash ball rugby. It's going to be long Tour at this rate.

Cant see how the Lions are going to get anywhere near the All Blacks in the tests - not even sure how many they we will win overall - maybe 3 wins on tour ?

D

Deleted member 1418

Can the Lions replace the head coach once the tour has started? :D Bring back Sir Ian Geech and Scary Jim!!!

Agree with you LP - if this is the weakest SR team then it's already not looking good! The game on Saturday is massive to get the tour really going.