Sports Personality of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Who should win

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Cannot believe that none of the England rugby team are in it. You could pick any of the Saracens contingent who won everything domestically plus reached the world cup final. Even if Farrell is seen as too controversial then Itoje should have been in the list. Team sport achievement wise the Saracens players achieved more than Sterling. Guessing the salary cap issues may have ruled them out.

England Rugby team may well get nominated for team of the year but with them only having 6 nominated it’s hard to see which England player you could put in when they didn’t win the 6 nations and also didn’t win the WC.

Saracens players do have a shout to be in there but then I don’t think Sterling should be in there

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
England Rugby team may well get nominated for team of the year but with them only having 6 nominated it’s hard to see which England player you could put in when they didn’t win the 6 nations and also didn’t win the WC.

Saracens players do have a shout to be in there but then I don’t think Sterling should be in there
Team of the year will, I guess be England cricket. Not sure that they have a list of nominations for team, just a winner. Not sure how the McLaren F1 team are not regular winners if that. Can argue all you like about the merits of drivers based on their respective cars but cannot argue that the team that puts it all together is worthy of recognition

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Team of the year will, I guess be England cricket. Not sure that they have a list of nominations for team, just a winner. Not sure how the McLaren F1 team are not regular winners if that. Can argue all you like about the merits of drivers based on their respective cars but cannot argue that the team that puts it all together is worthy of recognition

Might be best to brush up on your F1 knowledge, McLaren F1 haven't won anything for quite some time...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Solheim Cup Team?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great call on Peaty. As for the team a close run thing and usually the public go with what is in the consciousness and as the rugby WC was more recent I reckon more chance of them getting the votes. In my opinion I'd give it to the England WC cricket team

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great call on Peaty. As for the team a close run thing and usually the public go with what is in the consciousness and as the rugby WC was more recent I reckon more chance of them getting the votes. In my opinion I'd give it to the England WC cricket team

team of the year isnt voted for by the public anymore is it, decided "in house"

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might be best to brush up on your F1 knowledge, McLaren F1 haven't won anything for quite some time...
Ok fair point, meant Mercedes but guessing that would be an international team. Really need to engage my brain before typing

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Its an absolute waste of time and money imo, the BBC doesn't hardly show any mainstream sport these days and can hardly show any of the sporting activities during the show as they are protected (mainly by SKY and BT) but, at least, they'll be little arguing about Andy Murrays personality this year

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its an absolute waste of time and money imo, the BBC doesn't hardly show any mainstream sport these days and can hardly show any of the sporting activities during the show as they are protected (mainly by SKY and BT) but, at least, they'll be little arguing about Andy Murrays personality this year

Is it time for the Sky Sports Personality of the Year?

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess it was too much to ask for people not to turn into another bitch fest about the BBC

Yes we know that the BBC don’t show the same level of sport as others - blah blah blah blah blah - it was the same last year and the year before and will be the same next year🙄 get past it.

The thread was started to discuss the merits of the sporting achievements and the nominees not about the broadcaster.

The sportsmen and women clearly don’t see it as a waste

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok fair point, meant Mercedes but guessing that would be an international team. Really need to engage my brain before typing

It’s a tough year for Team of the Year - a lot of very good candidates

England Cricket
England Rugby
Saracens
Man City
Liverpool
Europe Solhiem Cup

I suspect the England Cricket Team will win

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Guess it was too much to ask for people not to turn into another bitch fest about the BBC

Yes we know that the BBC don’t show the same level of sport as others - blah blah blah blah blah - it was the same last year and the year before and will be the same next year🙄 get past it.

The thread was started to discuss the merits of the sporting achievements and the nominees not about the broadcaster.

skys coverage of the masters will be the same next year and the year after that,but It’s nailed on you’ll be moaning about it 🙄

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a tough year for Team of the Year - a lot of very good candidates

England Cricket
England Rugby
Saracens
Man City
Liverpool
Europe Solhiem Cup

I suspect the England Cricket Team will win
Saracens are probably out due to the salary cap issue.
Solheim cup

On that thought, the event in itself has merit, the problem with s that the BBC does not have enough access to footage to show a decent review of the sporting year. Then again with the split amongst broadcasters, hardly anyone does anymore

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What's Stokes supposed to say....
"Oh crap, I've got to go all the way to bloody Aberdeen just before Xmas to sit in a theatre for a couple of hours listening to Lineker gushing praise and cracking crap jokes"
Of course he's going to say he's honoured etc etc even if he isn't....
I think it's run its course, especially on BBC. Not a BBC knock but as they barely show any sport anymore it's a bit strange that, all of a sudden, they're looking back at a year of sport they can't/won't/don't show.
Its also a shame that they've got the 2 girls splitting the Athletics vote...no other cricketers, rugby or footy players worthy of inclusion?