Sports Personality Of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It totally is, I just wanted to put the case for him and not just have it thought that it was an easy ride and just a two horse race. A lot more than that happened. :cheers:

I'm and F1 fan and no, it wasn't an easy ride but I beg to differ about it not being a 2 horse race. 16 wins for Mercedes and 3 for Red Bull. 18 pole positions. I don't think there's ever been a more 1 sided championship in the history of F1 and the majority of that came down to the car.

Yes Hamilton won and did a great job doing so. But personally I'd have gone for Rory purely because I think that there are at 2, possibly 3, other drivers you could have put in that Mercedes last year who would then have beaten Hamilton to the title.

The technology aspect will always create an unfair playing field in F1, whereas in golf most players have access to the same gear.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm and F1 fan and no, it wasn't an easy ride but I beg to differ about it not being a 2 horse race. 16 wins for Mercedes and 3 for Red Bull. 18 pole positions. I don't think there's ever been a more 1 sided championship in the history of F1 and the majority of that came down to the car.

Yes Hamilton won and did a great job doing so. But personally I'd have gone for Rory purely because I think that there are at 2, possibly 3, other drivers you could have put in that Mercedes last year who would then have beaten Hamilton to the title.

The technology aspect will always create an unfair playing field in F1, whereas in golf most players have access to the same gear.

We agreed that it was a two horse race but that that was not all it was..

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lets also remember that F1 is a very great deal larger than golf worldwide. After football and the Olympics its the largest sporting spectacle in the world.

Not so sure that's even close to being accurate,whether based on TV figures or physical attendance figures.

Tour De France, Indy500, Superbowl,NBA finals, World Series,Ashes test, Pakistan v India test match, Lions tour,Grand National,Wimbledon, Champs League final, etc etc etc

It was a 19 race world championship played out over, what is it?, about 9 months. A race weekend is technically 3 days, Friday free practice 1 & 2, Saturday FP 3 and Quali and Sunday race, he had to complete that 19 times to get a title. In the time in between that he had no mental rest, the job was not done, it was 1/19th, 2/19th and so on. The mental pressure he was under was huge and beyond a test of endurance.

The exact same could be said about every week a golfer tees it up. Arrive Tuesday, pro am Wednesday, 4 day tourney and then travel.Weeks off practice.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pos Driver Nationality Team Points
1 Lewis Hamilton British Mercedes 384
2 Nico Rosberg German Mercedes 317
3 Daniel Ricciardo Australian Red Bull Racing-Renault 238
4 Valtteri Bottas Finnish Williams-Mercedes 186
5 Sebastian Vettel German Red Bull Racing-Renault 167
6 Fernando Alonso Spanish Ferrari 161
7 Felipe Massa Brazilian Williams-Mercedes 134
8 Jenson Button British McLaren-Mercedes 126
9 Nico Hulkenberg German Force India-Mercedes 96
10 Sergio Perez Mexican Force India-Mercedes 59

I guess you could stretch the truth a bit and claim it was a three horse race, although that's overly kind to Ricciardo who was never in it. Hamilton had more than double the points of the fourth placed guy.

So, no, I stand by my comments. It was a two horse race between whichever experienced F1 drivers were lucky enough to find themselves in a Mercedes. A spectacle, yes, but not a sporting contest and, generally, not even particularly interesting after the first few laps.

The final standings make interesting reading, especially when you think it is not that long since Vettel untouchable by the other drivers.

Just goes to show for me how much difference the car makes. While I thought it was quite a good season in F1 this year it appears this was only the case as the best team had two very equally matched drivers

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
The final standings make interesting reading, especially when you think it is not that long since Vettel untouchable by the other drivers.

Just goes to show for me how much difference the car makes. While I thought it was quite a good season in F1 this year it appears this was only the case as the best team had two very equally matched drivers

Yep... double points in the last race skew the above too... Rosberg got non and Hamilton got max..

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed, I do understand Rosberg was closer than that shows but Vettel is still a long way back

The years before Vettel had a blow rear diffuser that allowed him to enjoy HUGE rear grip. That was exactly how his "style" worked, the rear planted. The new formula is almost the direct opposite of that. Loads or rear twisting force ready to jump on him every time he so much as thinks about the loud pedal.... It just does not suit him. Not because of this post but for example Lewis likes a strong(grippy) front end and he will sort the rear end out as he goes... a better style for today's cars.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
OMG, the internet has 2470000 photoshopped images of this stunning goddess..............:ears:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ni...ei=RV6QVN3HCofwaNOogpAE&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Well, I'm glad you're so easily pleased. Must make you very happy. For me, high maintenance plastic looks don't really work. Never mind, each to their own. She does nothing for me, as I said before. I don't care how many 14 year old school boys post pictures on the net, it doesn't make her 'smoking hot'. It makes her an adolescent fantasy.

D

Deleted member 15344

The F1 World Champion is always regarded very highly in the World of Sport

It's alongside the major sports champions of the world

Hamilton is a deserved winner of both - and he is my least liked sports star

Oh and Nicole is a pretty lady and very nice to boot - had no problems buying a few of the old boys a drink in the golf club last Xmas.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oops X2:thup::rofl:

To be fair, my original 'oops' was highlighting the irony of the poster saying there were seriously uneducated opinions and then making a spelling mistake rather than highlighting the actual spelling mistake itself. Not really worried about spelling mistakes.

But that was lost amongst everything that followed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, I'm glad you're so easily pleased. Must make you very happy. For me, high maintenance plastic looks don't really work. Never mind, each to their own. She does nothing for me, as I said before. I don't care how many 14 year old school boys post pictures on the net, it doesn't make her 'smoking hot'. It makes her an adolescent fantasy.

I wish there was a 'like button'

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Haven't been an F1 fan for a long time and this season was as interesting a Mercedes head to head race could be but Hamilton dominated in all areas. I'd prefer touring cars and proper racing where the playing field is a lot more even and a lot more dependable on driving skills. I still think Hamilton won purely because F1 is on BBC and was fresher in the public consciousness. However I'm sure McIlroy isn't losing too much sleep about the result

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't been an F1 fan for a long time and this season was as interesting a Mercedes head to head race could be but Hamilton dominated in all areas. I'd prefer touring cars and proper racing where the playing field is a lot more even and a lot more dependable on driving skills. I still think Hamilton won purely because F1 is on BBC and was fresher in the public consciousness. However I'm sure McIlroy isn't losing too much sleep about the result

But it he did not dominate in all areas, in a very high profile way he was out qualified by his team mate more often than not.... Nico has a trophy emphasizing the fact.

Nicole does nothing for me...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rosberg may have out qualified Hamilton but he clearly failed to make it count when the races started. It's fine getting pole but you need to do something with it. Nicole does nothing for me either so at least we're in agreement there

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
These threads really amaze me, you have two individuals in totally different sports, both are top of the world rankings and we try and claim that one has it easy while the other has worked so much harder and visa versa. The fact is that EVERY sport is difficult and to achieve the status of world number 1 is an amazing feat and to get there both LH and RMc have worked their butts off.